Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem you will have using the BM filters is that normal standard cooking stock pots are generally a square ratio (mine is 40cm diameter * 40cm high). You will be looking for brewing pot or custom tube.

You may be lucky finding a stainless steel tube for some other purpose (flue as spog suggested) but you will have to hit the Internet hard.

I guess you could shorten the search and just buy the BM 20L malt pipe for the 50L system. An expensive way to go but at least you are guaranteed the BM filters will match up exactly to your malt pipe and will be a working solution from the get go.

That's what I've found so far.

Stock pots are either square or tapered,so they won't work. Will have a look at flues.

The 20l malt pipe for the 50l BM won't fit the 20l filter plates :( I will see if they sell replacement 20l maltpipes, might save some headaches.

A friend of mine makes stainless duct and the last time I was at his factory he had quite a few excess pieces of stainless ducting, if you are interested I will find out more about what diameters he has available.

thanks PMed you the details.

DJar: Why would I want the bottom plate welded on?

djar007 said:
Just an option I prefer on my rig.
Wouldn't that make it a malt pot rather than a malt pipe? Others have joined/stacked the bigw pots, that's what I would do if I had to increase the capacity, it's quick and easy.

Does anyone know the diameter of the malt pipe on a 20l braumeister?

Thanks
Jim

I have also read 280mm. i am waiting on my filter plates to arrive so I can measure them.

I have found a source on 316 pipe that should work if it is 270mm OD. But it is 4.19mm thick! Which according to my calculations would make it 10.2 KG just for the malt pipe!

Pat, if you don't weld the bottom on, how was you thinking of lifting it without leaving the grain behind?
I am sure that the Braumeister would probably have had a welded bottom perforated plate but it is cheaper to get a lip rolled into the malt tube by a machine than to get the plate welded in.

I would drill three holes in the side near the bottom - say 10mm up from the edge and put three 10x20mm / similar stainless bolts in - can use oringsandmore #204 for sealing them on the inside. . Let the plate rest on them. a 4mm stainless tube? that is going to be heavy with grain etc!

That was my plan. Or depending on how tight the filter plates fit around the central rod, maybe just a spacer on there? The price on the 4.2mm is OK, but the weight will be a lot and I don't like the idea of trying to drill 4.2mm stainless either :(

I am looking into having a piece custom rolled out of sheet.

The 50l brewmiester has two malt pipes one for single the other for double batches. I was wondering why you couldn't get away with one large malt pipe, and have some slits cut around the circumference halfway down. So wort can flow through the slits for the single batch. To make a double you block the slits.

I was thinking of using a strap/belt of stainless steel lined with silicone. Secured using a latch.
image.jpg

What do you think?
Any thought on this why it would or wouldn't work would be much appreciated.

You could probably get a hose clamp that size to go around the tube,just wondering if the toggle clamps would work using two pieces of tube with four toggle clamps to clamp them together when doing a 50 litre batch, should hold the weight of the grain when lifting the tube out.

This will not work because your top screen won't be held in place when doing a small batch and is likely to be pushed up higher than the slits, releasing the grain...

I like the idea of an adjustable malt pipe. It's the only weakness of the BM design IMHO.

I should have one of the a filter plates tomorrow, G&G only had one in stock (second should be here in 2 weeks). Then I can take accurate measurements for the maltpipe.

Edak said:
This will not work because your top screen won't be held in place when doing a small batch and is likely to be pushed up higher than the slits, releasing the grain...
Good point. My plan was to have a spacer between the bar that locks in the malt pipe and the screen. or a second nut on the ss rod that holds down the screen supports . I am still in the design phase.

It just came in, so I can confirm the BM 20L Filter plate is 266m across.

So I would assume a 270mm OD pipe that is around 1mm WT would be what I want. This would give 1mm clearance all around the edge of the plate.

The hunt continues....

Latest posts

Back