Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i have just started to put some thought into making one up for myself and was hoping for a bit of advice

I have been using a 70l robinox pot sourced from beerbelly many moons ago for Biab. I am going to use this pot in the build

I am trying to work out a system similiar to the orginal BM of having two malt pipes so that i can do single and double 21L batches. I am thinking that i will research into getting the malt pipes made up and would like to be able to use the filter plates interchangeable between the two different sized malt pipes.

Using the min water level spreadsheet supplied by angus_grant earlier in the thread i have used a 35cm diameter malt pipe inside the 45cm pot (for 4cm clearence the way round for the element). The problem i can see arising from this is that the single batch malt pipe with be quite small in height. For a 25l volume pipe @ 6.8kg max grain bill it comes to only 26cm height.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

For the double batch malt pipe i using the same diameter for the filter plates it comes to 43cm height(2cm below top of kettle) @ 41L volume and max grain bill of 11.3kg.... which seems about right

here is a copy of the spread sheet with my values included. I hope angus does not mind but i have included a few extra fields to see what happens to water volume when malt pipe is removed and boil is completed.

Volume spread sheet

note that the values are calulated on the minium water required to keep the element covered

Quick question regarding the element. I need to be able to run this off a normal house hold powerpoint(10amp?). What would be the largest possible wattage for the element to achieve a boil volume of up to say up to 50L on this circuit. I am thinking of using a march pump 815 which will be coupled with mathos controller.

Thanks in advance

Dom

so i have just started to put some thought into making one up for myself and was hoping for a bit of advice

I have been using a 70l robinox pot sourced from beerbelly many moons ago for Biab. I am going to use this pot in the build

I am trying to work out a system similiar to the orginal BM of having two malt pipes so that i can do single and double 21L batches. I am thinking that i will research into getting the malt pipes made up and would like to be able to use the filter plates interchangeable between the two different sized malt pipes.

Using the min water level spreadsheet supplied by angus_grant earlier in the thread i have used a 35cm diameter malt pipe inside the 45cm pot (for 4cm clearence the way round for the element). The problem i can see arising from this is that the single batch malt pipe with be quite small in height. For a 25l volume pipe @ 6.8kg max grain bill it comes to only 26cm height.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

For the double batch malt pipe i using the same diameter for the filter plates it comes to 43cm height(2cm below top of kettle) @ 41L volume and max grain bill of 11.3kg.... which seems about right

here is a copy of the spread sheet with my values included. I hope angus does not mind but i have included a few extra fields to see what happens to water volume when malt pipe is removed and boil is completed.

Volume spread sheet

note that the values are calulated on the minium water required to keep the element covered

Quick question regarding the element. I need to be able to run this off a normal house hold powerpoint(10amp?). What would be the largest possible wattage for the element to achieve a boil volume of up to say up to 50L on this circuit. I am thinking of using a march pump 815 which will be coupled with mathos controller.

Thanks in advance

Dom

Hi Dom,

wow, a 70L pot to get a double batch would be very cool although challenging. When you scale up like this you have more space for your element(s) and plumbing, but you may (like the original BM50) want to have two inlets for the pump to get a good even flow. Also, if you are looking to boil up 50L then you won't get a good roller with a typical 10A (2400W) element. You will probably need to run off two power points connected to different circuits (typically not the same wall plate), or get a sparky in to install an outlet with higher power or another circuit entirely.

Hmmm, the first hurdle....

The reason for the 10amp is that I do not own my own house and move around quite a bit with work. I would love it to be a case of plug and play on standard house wiring.

Would the 2400w element be enough to sustain a rolling boil? May be a separate immersion jobby might help with the ramp to boil. Though this would defeat the purpose of having a semi automated system. Other options?

Would insulation of the kettle be enough to make up the efficiency problem?

Interesting catalog! Check out the u + v shapes with or without bulbs. No prices but may be a good option for selling the malt pipe!

Silicon seals

OK!

So I have assembled and leak-tested my brau-thingo and I have photos!

angle.jpg

front.jpg

outside.jpg

outside2.jpg

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

element.jpg

I have NOT tested any operation yet, I was too excited to take photos first. This means I still have NO idea whether the coil works or not :)

WOOT!

Nice work! That looks awesome.

oooo :icon_cheers:

That is a thing of beauty! I wouldn't have been so patient as you - a test run before pics! Well done Edak.

absolutely brilliant Edak, I really like the stand

cheers steve

more pics...

probe.jpg

base.jpg

plumbing.jpg

handle.jpg

Congratulations Edak on the successful build so far. Thanks for sharing. It is looking fantastic. I have a couple of questions to ask you:

1. Did you mention you were getting pro stainless fabrication done for the base? Simple design and looks really effective. If you paid to have that done, how much did they charge?
2. I know your malt pipe is 19L BigW but what's the volume of your outer pot?
3. Did you end up using the cut down silicone hose to seal the malt pipe like matho?

Your test runs will be great fun - enjoy!

What's the best, cheapest source for the stainless bolts and washers people are using as part of their builds?

Cheers guys, I feel so good to have made it to this point. I am very happy with the look of it.

Malted, that is one of my dogs (he is Desmond) he will walk around and watch me all day as long as I look busy he will just observe.

Notung, I came up with the design after creating a prototype out of cheap gal sheet. It was technically simple, but it is solid as a rock. I prepared the parts, bends, cuts, etc and I had the base TIG welded by a friend of mine who is a fabricator and normally builds race cars. He has never built anything like this before and I suppose that he would do an even better job next time. I absolutely loved going to his workshop and before last week I had never used a plasma cutter (I am in love!). The volume of outer pot is 50L, I posted the spec and source earlier in this thread but I have about 40-45mm gap all around the pot. The stainless pipes for handles were used keg spears. I did end up using the silicone hose as a seal, it does leak a very little bit, but it is insignificant and I personally wouldn't think that it would have much/any affect on anything unless I can be proven otherwise.

The best source of stainless fittings that I could find was www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com (no affil) they had cheapest price, two-day delivery, they also sell the threaded rod.

I will hopefully test the whole system tomorrow morning, I will first do another leak test because I am paranoid about water near high-power stuff and electronics.

Actually, I am doubly paranoid because the o-rings supplied with the element were no good and let a bunch of water into the control box on the first leak test. I replaced the rings with silicone ones (one baking tray goes a LOOONG way) and it seems ok, but I also siliconed up the element entry points to the control box (on inside of box) so lets hope it works. Plus, I am not keen to open up the box again because I crammed so much stuff in there it's gonna "jack in the box" out at me.

Looks a high quality job Edak, nice work.

Cheers
Dan

Just a quick one of mine completely finished and up and running. Currently got a APA going in it.

all_done.JPG

OK!

So I have assembled and leak-tested my brau-thingo and I have photos!

angle.jpg

front.jpg

outside.jpg

outside2.jpg

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

element.jpg

I have NOT tested any operation yet, I was too excited to take photos first. This means I still have NO idea whether the coil works or not :)

WOOT!

MAD RIG MATE! Im hoping I can one day achive building something similar, long time from now tho!

Awesome Edak and Luke. Something slightly robotic about Luke's. Awesome work guys.

Looks like more people are getting these brau-clones operational. Mine is making some slight progress. I have a 6 week old male time sink so it is a matter of sneaking in 1 hour of work between naps, nappies, and feeding. Oh and going to work as well. He he.

Edak: that is a thing of beauty.

Latest posts

Back