Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally decided that I would get the H03797 from Thermal Products in Thomastown. It's about $138 in GST, 2400W and will be bent to my specification. The other crowd (TEE) wanted to charge me about $170 plus an additional $35 to pick up an element from them and that's highway robbery.

The one I am picking up is made of incoloy 800 so will be perfectly suited for wort.

would you have a link to thermal products?

I have finally decided that I would get the H03797 from Thermal Products in Thomastown. It's about $138 in GST, 2400W and will be bent to my specification. The other crowd (TEE) wanted to charge me about $170 plus an additional $35 to pick up an element from them and that's highway robbery.

The one I am picking up is made of incoloy 800 so will be perfectly suited for wort.

Hey Edak,
I don't think they come with bushes, so you'll need to buy their brass bushes if you haven't already. I tried various Swagelok compression fittings and none of their range was a perfect fit for the element sheath.
Cheers,
Hosko

Hey Edak,
I don't think they come with bushes, so you'll need to buy their brass bushes if you haven't already. I tried various Swagelok compression fittings and none of their range was a perfect fit for the element sheath.
Cheers,
Hosko

Quoted from their sales staff:
"The element is supplied with bushes and the terminals are made of nickel plated steel."
I think that the bushes are brass and the nickel plated is the actual terminal. Will report on this when I get it :)

Quoted from their sales staff:
"The element is supplied with bushes and the terminals are made of nickel plated steel."
I think that the bushes are brass and the nickel plated is the actual terminal. Will report on this when I get it :)

Actually that makes sense. The price you're paying is about $20-$30 more than I paid when I brought one, so they've included the bushes in the price. All good. Good luck with it.

In the interests of community minded information sharing:

THERMAL PRODUCTS 2000W ELEMENT

Here's the guts of an email quote I just got from them:

Item code: H03796 - 2000W ELEM 1755MM
46.5KW/m2 800 - in stock and can be used for your specific process. (I calculate this as 30W per square inch).
We can bend the element to your specifications, please e-mail us a drawing of specs and we can bend to suit.
Price on the element is $121.71 + gst and freight to South Australia $20.00 + gst.

So that would be $155.88 bent to specifications and delivered (to SA in my instance).

FILTER PLATES - PERFORATED S/STEEL

2mm thickness (not 0.5mm like RS Components)
3mm round holes, 5.0 mm pitch
304 grade stainless
32% Open area

The price for 2 off lasercut discs 300mm diameter in 2mm (2mm S/S304) = $175 ea.
The price for 9 off lasercut discs 300mm diameter in 2mm (2mm S/S304) = $50 ea.

Looks pretty good to me, for 9 of the buggers. So once I confirm the diameter I want, looks like I will have a few spare + 1 false bottom up for grabs. Remember, this is 2mm in thickness (considerably thicker than normal false bottoms) so $50 sounds pretty good.

Edit: just checking with the supplier because the codes don't match their catalogue. I am thinking 3mm holes might just be a bit too big. 2mm holes with 1.5mm sheet might be better, I don't think they do 2mm holes in 2mm sheet.

malted, try for the thickest you can get, mine are about 1 - 1.2 mm and they still flex when I mill my grain too fine, last time I did it the braumiser ended up spewing mash all over the kitchen :D.

cheers steve

malted, try for the thickest you can get, mine are about 1 - 1.2 mm and they still flex when I mill my grain too fine, last time I did it the braumiser ended up spewing mash all over the kitchen :D .

cheers steve

Yeah the real deal BM filter plates are about 2mm thick and you'd need to be Tarzan to bend them.

Yeah the real deal BM filter plates are about 2mm thick and you'd need to be Tarzan to bend them.

What are the specs on the original BM filter plate? I didn't think that the holes were that small because there is also the other finer filter mesh in there.

at $50 a pop I would be interested!

I am more leaning towards getting some filter plates and it doesn't really matter what size the holes are. I will then order replacement Braumeister filters at $22 each which will actually do the filtering. Or find some cheaper SS mesh which I will have to cut to size

$100 for the two filter plates with holes which may or may not be the right size seems a bit much for a "Braumiser".. :D

What are the specs on the original BM filter plate? I didn't think that the holes were that small because there is also the other finer filter mesh in there.

at $50 a pop I would be interested!
No they are not that small and yes they have a mesh screen too.

I was thinking about what Wessmith said here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=868288. I thought to myself, self if you could get holes small enough that would flow ok yet be a plate thick enough not to buckle under pumping pressure, maybe you could do away with the mesh screen and just use filter plates? It doesn't look like a feasible option unless I got some custom manufactured perforated steel and it would seem to be cost prohibitive - I am not about to engage Chineses manufactures and enter into a bulk buy because there would be no standard size to suit everyone.
I want to keep the plates at 2mm thick so the holes would need to be 3mm - which to my mind would let cracked grains through and thus require a mesh screen too. For me the thickness of the plate is more important than the hole size.

I will measure up my 50L Braumeister plates and report back in a day or so.

so after my last brewday when the braumiser spewed the mash all over the kitchen I have decided to strengthen the top filter plate, so I have welded 2 right angled bit of metal to form a cross

top_filter_4.JPG

now that should stop the top filter plate from bending

cheer steve

so after my last brewday when the braumiser spewed the mash all over the kitchen I have decided to strengthen the top filter plate, so I have welded 2 right angled bit of metal to form a cross

View attachment 55361

now that should stop the top filter plate from bending

cheer steve

Nice and sturdy there!

Any particular reason why your last mash went flying but none have previously? I brewed last weekend and had 3.4kg sitting in my 11L mashtun, this was certainly pushing the limits but the filter stayed put.

Alex

If you're after a cheaper option to fit with the "Miser" brief, I'm using the bottom of one of the Big W pots to provide extra strength to the top mesh as I've got two pots for 40L batches. Cut it off just above the radius and then cut some slots through it similar to Matho's top plate. Install it upside down so the outer rim holds the outer edge of the mesh down which is where you'll get leaks if you're going to have any. You'll need to put a couple of bolts or weld some ribs in either the cut pot or the mesh to match the offset and support it in the middle, but this will allow you to use thinner cheaper mesh. I haven't built it yet, so can't show pics, but I can't foresee any problems doing it this way especially as I'm cutting the bottom off the second pot anyway.
Cheers,
Sam

I was playing around with my mill gap and went too fine and produced way too much flour, which clogged the filter mesh causing the violent expulsion of the mash. It had nothing to do with how much grain I had in there as I was going for a 1.045 beer.

cheers steve

no idea on prices but these guys may have something that could work: http://www.metalmesh.com.au/gallery/viewgallery/16

Have a look at the 4th image along (pressure leaf filters). Hmm, looks interesting. I may give them a call and see if they are open on the weekend. If not, I have a day off next week and may wander out to their Brisbane office to see what they have that might be suitable and within price range..

no idea on prices but these guys may have something that could work: http://www.metalmesh.com.au/gallery/viewgallery/16

Have a look at the 4th image along (pressure leaf filters). Hmm, looks interesting. I may give them a call and see if they are open on the weekend. If not, I have a day off next week and may wander out to their Brisbane office to see what they have that might be suitable and within price range..

All the sizing info is available on their website.

There is a downloadable PDF document on this page that lists hole sizes, thicknesses etc of the perforated steel they sell. Small holes = thin sheet. http://www.metalmesh.com.au/perforated-stainless-steel
3.0 mm holes are the smallest they can do in 2mm thick 304 S/Steel perforated sheet, any smaller and the sheet has to be thinner...
:ph34r:

Likewise there is a pdf here on woven stainless mesh sizing: http://www.metalmesh.com.au/stainless-steel-mesh
Welded S/Steel mesh starts at an apperature of 5.5mm.

Have any of you got a quote for laser cutting? They supply the stainless and you aren't left with any offcuts. Just remember you pay more per entry

thinking of a disc with 4 lines cut in like this, surely you wouldn't need any other filtering plates apart from this. and get them to just etch the centre point so you can drill it out yourself later

filter_plate.jpg

Latest posts

Back