Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of using a t-piece so the temp probe is run inline and measures the temp of the wort flowing through on it's way up to the grain bed.

hey malted I was thinking the same idea when I get to building mine and was wondering how to seal the temp probe in the t-piece.

hey malted I was thinking the same idea when I get to building mine and was wondering how to seal the temp probe in the t-piece.
I am planning on the same, and have one of these: http://www.brewershardware.com/CF1412.html

Screw it into the straight section of the T piece, seal with thread tape and the wort rounds the bend of the T and passes directly around the thermowell/probe end.

I thought you did it for me..... :angry:

:(

Yeah, those thermowells are great. Use on on the T-piece for my HERMs. Although I did stumble upon some aluminium 150mm therowells at work... Grabbed a few ;)

Cheers

Bonj that compression fitting looks great, thats the style I would go because the sensor is in direct contact with the wort. I thought the thermowell type that CB sell maybe too long to go into a t-piece?

Bonj that compression fitting looks great, thats the style I would go because the sensor is in direct contact with the wort. I thought the thermowell type that CB sell maybe too long to go into a t-piece?
I honestly haven't looked at the CB one. I bought some from brewershardware a few years ago for my HERMS project and was going to use the extra one for my braumiser clone....

I'm just a major tool tard, so the electronics are ready, but the actual vessel is a much slower prospect.

Crap.... It's all fun and games until they find out about each other.

:lol:

It's a fight to the death for your affections, then.... :ph34r:

I think that Matho's answer (that the temp measured on outside = inside at base of MP) is enough to prevent me from making any more changes. I did think about adding a T piece but the more plumbing you have, the more wasted beer you have sitting in the pipes after boil. I kept it as short as I possibly could, but the keg king pump doesn't lend itself to easy plumbing due to barb fittings.

I want the black corner with the black trunks. Red is no good for my complexion.

Is there any reason that the filter plates can't be made of aluminum?

I can't find a supplier for peforated plate with hole sizeing small enough at 2mm thickness

What thickness do you think a aluminum plate would need to be to do the job?

Example supplier?

Is there any reason that the filter plates can't be made of aluminum?

I can't find a supplier for peforated plate with hole sizeing small enough at 2mm thickness

What thickness do you think a aluminum plate would need to be to do the job?

Example supplier?

I don't like the idea of putting aluminium with stainless as during a brew it is a perfect environment for galvanic corrosion. You don't want corrosion in your beer.

I would also think that you would need a VERY thick piece of Aluminium (about 6mm or so) for the same strength. Keep on the path for stainless.

TO ALL
=============
We almost need a thread in itself to sort out this filter plate issue, as many of us are struggling to find suitable stainless plates.
Can we put together a list with pics of what people are successfully using.

I went out last Friday morning to have a look at these guys: http://www.metalmesh.com.au/stainless-steel-mesh

They are a manufacturer and wouldn't give me a price (not even a ball park figure) which was a bit frustrating as I now have to go to one of the retailers and waste their time getting a quote which will probably be way too high and a waste of everyone's time. I went in and a receptionist gave me some sample books and left me to it. So I didn't even get to talk to anyone technical about materials, strengths, weaknesses, try and con them into giving me some off-cuts, etc. Anyhoo....

If you have a look at the "hollander weave woven wire" link on that page, that looks the most suitable. You would still have to build actual framework to stop it from bending under the pump pressure. I think you might get away with not requiring filter material as the weave is quite tight. I got one of their brochures which has photos of the available metal at actual sizes. I also wrote down the two choices I thought would be suitable so will go to one of the retailers and get them to quote it up for me. But this is all at home so can't quote product codes. I'll post them up tonight.

None of their perforated SS sheeting looks suitable as the ones with the smaller holes is made from a thin sheet which I could bend by hand, and the thicker sheets had 5mm holes.

Henlaws in heidelberg do the stainless perorated. They did mine out of some spare they had laying around.For $50 I got 2 400x400 squares with 2mm holes so I could cut it exact to suit my big w pot.
Luke

If you have a look at the "hollander weave woven wire" link on that page, that looks the most suitable. You would still have to build actual framework to stop it from bending under the pump pressure. I think you might get away with not requiring filter material as the weave is quite tight. I got one of their brochures which has photos of the available metal at actual sizes. I also wrote down the two choices I thought would be suitable so will go to one of the retailers and get them to quote it up for me. But this is all at home so can't quote product codes. I'll post them up tonight.

you could also use termimesh, but as above you would need a support frame

just saw this on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TERMI-MESH-STAI...=item3cc886259b

Im happy with my top filter plate after mucking around with various optiions.
Top plate is 2 mm ss plate which i cut out to allow wort flow, it really is there only to hold down the real filter plate.
The filter plate is a aluminium pizza tray which i reinforced with two 3 mm aluminium straps forming a cross, these are glued on with jbweld and riveted. I then drilled a stack of 5 mm holes in it, something i would not want to do with ss..
The filter is a woolies splatter guard with the rim removed. This is attached to the filter plate with some pinchseal from clark rubber.

Works a treat. Pictures are toward the end of the link in my sig.

Cheers

Sean

I have started thinking that I will go back to my original plan for the filters and have off-the-shelf perforated stainless sheeting with a thickness that somewhat resists bending. I need two straps across the top for the locking mechanism anyway so that will provide strength, and then having stainless mesh underneath the top plate to actually do the filtering. I will probably use pinch seal from Clark Rubber like Sean.

K.I.S.S! Hey, if it works for Spiedel...

Latest posts

Back