Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The term Clone meaning an identical or indistinguishable copy, might be stretching the friendship a bit when applied to some of the builds here.
I know Braumeisters are expensive, but top quality always is and I can understand the desire to get some of the features of a Braumeister into your brewery at a lower price just wish you guys would quit calling them clones!

Some good vids on the Braumeister site that might give you a better idea of how a Braumeister works; might even inspire some of you to un-clench a bit and go for the real thing.

Mark

Its a fair call, I'm all for paying for the best quality you can afford. Having said that I reckon you could make a automated brewery with indistinguishable functions and features as a BM even if it doesn't look the same, for well under $500.

Cos anyone who doesn't have $2000+ to spend on a readymade system or who enjoys tinkering and building must be a tightarse right?

Next time you're looking at dictionary definitions to wow us stupid people who don't understand English, maybe you could look up pompous, arrogant or jerk?

The term "Clone" meaning an identical or indistinguishable copy, might be stretching the friendship a bit when applied to some of the builds here.
I know Braumeisters are expensive, but top quality always is and I can understand the desire to get some of the features of a Braumeister into your brewery at a lower price just wish you guys would quit calling them clones!

Some good vids on the Braumeister site that might give you a better idea of how a Braumeister works; might even inspire some of you to un-clench a bit and go for the real thing.

Mark

Fair go manticle, the man is right.

Being right doesn't mean he isn't an arrogant prick.

Most people are smart enough to figure out the 'clone' in this thread isn't going to actually be a clone. Pissing on people's parade is what Mark loves doing best though.

Must be a slow day at the shop.

Apologies for the OT and I'll take my personal stoush with MHB away and keep it personal.

i know its not going the look identical but i will be trying to get it to function the same.

i probably should of called it a semi automated single vessel brewery build

cheers matho

I've never claimed my build is a clone, just copying the method.
Fact is i could buy one but i do enjoy trying to figure things out for myself, and enjoy the build process.
I'm close to finishing building my 12.5m sailing cat which i plan circumnavigating with the kids for 8 years or so until they start highschool. By building my own version of a braumaster (and a boat) when things do break i will be able to fix them.
Cheers

minime.jpg

I think we need to have an RDO brewday, Steve. I'll be keen to see this minibeast in action.

RS components sells 500mm x 500mm 0.6mm perforated stainless steel sheets for a decent price but you have to by 2

Cheers for that link, I'm ordering 2 sheets of the 2mm holes now - think it'll be the quickes way to finish my project.

I've been thinking though - you could recirc from the bottom through the grain bed without having a malt pipe that clamps down like the BM does. What if you just had a whole pot in your bigger pot, with an inlet at the bottom feeding into a manifold or something to spread out the wort. Then a filter disc on top of the pot. Excuse the quick scrawl...

tun.jpg

I've been thinking though - you could recirc from the bottom through the grain bed without having a malt pipe that clamps down like the BM does. What if you just had a whole pot in your bigger pot, with an inlet at the bottom feeding into a manifold or something to spread out the wort. Then a filter disc on top of the pot. Excuse the quick scrawl...
Isn't that almost exactly what the BM does?
However you might well need something to keep the top filter-disk in place (to stop it from floating off, or compacting down), the BM bolts it in the middle, but some clips or other attachment at the edges of your inner-pot might work equally well.

RS components sells 500mm x 500mm 0.6mm perforated stainless steel sheets for a decent price but you have to by 2
Thanks for that - will check it out.

View attachment 48345

Another option which I'm considering is threaded fittings. Threaded socket dead centre in the bottom of the kettle which will be the outlet from pump and the malt pipe (small pot) will have a half nipple dead centre in the bottom of it. The malt pipe would "screw" down to form the seal.

But I really like your idea of not having to modify the second pot...

Isn't that almost exactly what the BM does?
However you might well need something to keep the top filter-disk in place (to stop it from floating off, or compacting down), the BM bolts it in the middle, but some clips or other attachment at the edges of your inner-pot might work equally well.

Yeah I think this would work the same way, the only reason you'd consider not having the pot open on the bottom would be to make an easier build. Don't have to worry about the thread to screw down the pot, the seal on the bottom etc and its less material needed. Good point about the top filter, some system of clips would prob work like you say.

I have thought of sometning similiar too, but why does the braumaster have the bottom filter, mmust be for reaason?
The advantage I can see to the open ended malt pipe in the BM is it looks easier to take it out after the mash. In that sketch above it would be a ******* to undo the coupling after mashing. But maybe you could get around that by having the wort return come up the outside of the pot with a silicon hose, over the top and back down to the bottom of the malt pot? At least that way you could lift it out more easily after mashing.

Ppp - love that idea too.

But I really like your idea of not having to modify the second pot...
Probably should have had a coffee before writing this. Need a hole in the bottom of the malt pipe/pot to drain the wort out....

I have thought of sometning similiar too, but why does the braumaster have the bottom filter, mmust be for reaason?
To hold the grain in and allow the mash to drain when you lift the malt pipe out

Here's a quick sketch of the kettle and plumbing that I'm thinking of. Have since decided on 50L pot rather than 70L and the whirlpool port will be a lot lower. The actual whirlpool nozzle will be 1/2"tubing pushed through and welded to a triclover cap (there's more to the configuration and connections, but that should give some idea on how it will work). All fittings are 3/4" triclover and the centre fitting (labelled "outlet") is a triclover 3/4" female adapter welded into the bottom of the pot. This is what the malt pipe/pot would screw down into. Silicon tubing will be attached to valve 3 which can then be connected to the whirlpool port for whirlpooling and then detached and used transferring the wort to a cube/fermenter.

Brewery_20Picture_202.jpg

Probably should have had a coffee before writing this. Need a hole in the bottom of the malt pipe/pot to drain the wort out....

To hold the grain in and allow the mash to drain when you lift the malt pipe out
lol great point. Although with a top filter supported properly you could just invert the pot at the end?

Forgot about drainage, having a blonde moment.
Might check out bunnings for some mozzie screen and see what they have got for a filter

Back