Braumeister Clone (UK)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep us posted on how it goes barneey,

Here is a great design for a hop basket which lets you use an immersion chiller around the outside of it.
The unit is specifically made for the Braumeister as you can see it fits onto the centre rod

Stainless mesh hop sock

barneey said:
The central (pull down rod) for the build is 12mm diameter to which I threaded the top and bottom (a pet hate of mine is using threaded rod as its APITA to clean after a brew), anyway the 12mm diameter rod is a very good fit for stainless 3/8 threaded fittings. http://www.bes.co.uk/products/165a.asp part number 14473 + lock nuts. If your careful you can drill a hole through the perforated plate slight less than the tapered thread on the nipple, than a standard ss washer with the lock nut just pulls everything together. I would silver soldier the bits but fear of heat distortion put an end to that idea.
How does the cost of these parts compare with buying the filters pre-made from Speidel when you buy the malt pipe?

Brilliant work by the way. Definitely the inspiration I need to get started on my clone.

dicko said:
Keep us posted on how it goes barneey,

Here is a great design for a hop basket which lets you use an immersion chiller around the outside of it.
The unit is specifically made for the Braumeister as you can see it fits onto the centre rod

Stainless mesh hop sock

Cheers for the website addy, I`ve seen a few bits on eBay (more than likely the same supplier), I see they do a BM 20ltr unit but cant see one for a 50BM, has anyone asked / got one made up?

There is a link on another forum for the 50 litre unit.

I will see if I can find it

Cervantes said:
How does the cost of these parts compare with buying the filters pre-made from Speidel when you buy the malt pipe?

Brilliant work by the way. Definitely the inspiration I need to get started on my clone.
I was lucky enough to buy a sheet of this for the build http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261516549295&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 which I collected on a round trip with the pot.

I think speidel do sell the filter plates but at a cost of £50.00 each! they are rather expensive. If you have access to a jigsaw and bench grinder they can be made easily enough (3hrs for the pair).I also think speidel sale the floppy stainless filters (£12 each!) but again an EBay search will produce lots of stuff that can be cut with a pair of scissors.

As for the "Brilliant work by the way" well its near enough a clone of the original mechanics so its very much a meccano bolt together exercise. I`m more impressed with the BM builds on this site that have started to re-invent things. & the control unit is a little beyond me (fat fingers) hence I have my name on the "lael" list.

Cheers

These guys make a 50 litre model for $110.00 I believe but it is not on their web site you have to contact them and talk to a guy named Chad I believe.

http://arborfab.com/

Cheers have sent them a message, so will wait for a reply.

I do also have some large diameter stainless tube so might just make a standard "tube with hop bag" supported via 3 tripod lid legs (another meccano exercise). My problem is that I can silver solder but have yet to learn the art of welding (especially with thin stainless objects).

barneey said:
Ps forgot the pic of the 20lt Malt pipe.

photo-2.jpg
Can I ask a few rookie questions - or just send me off to the relevant thread/s or location if this has been previously covered & done to death ...

It looks like the malt pipe has a rubber(?) edge that sits flat on the base of the pot? How do DIY folk normally build the non genuine malt pipes, wouldn't malt pipe steel on pot steel cause an issue down the track?

Also, does the element coil then sit underneath the malt pipe?

And, where does the temp probe normally sit? I've seen them fitted to a t-piece on the wort out fitting, not sure where this would live in barneey's setup though?

barneey said:
My understanding:
The wort returns from the pump back into the pot through the 2 return fittings in the base of the pot, because the malt pipe base sits flush on pot that causes the returned wort to flow up through the grain then flow out & over the top of the malt pipe back into the pot.

My question:
What's the clearance from the base of the pot to the bottom filter in the malt pipe?

JB said:
Can I ask a few rookie questions - or just send me off to the relevant thread/s or location if this has been previously covered & done to death ...

It looks like the malt pipe has a rubber(?) edge that sits flat on the base of the pot? How do DIY folk normally build the non genuine malt pipes, wouldn't malt pipe steel on pot steel cause an issue down the track?

Also, does the element coil then sit underneath the malt pipe?

And, where does the temp probe normally sit? I've seen them fitted to a t-piece on the wort out fitting, not sure where this would live in barneey's setup though?

My understanding:
The wort returns from the pump back into the pot through the 2 return fittings in the base of the pot, because the malt pipe base sits flush on pot that causes the returned wort to flow up through the grain then flow out & over the top of the malt pipe back into the pot.

My question:
What's the clearance from the base of the pot to the bottom filter in the malt pipe?
okay
1 The rubber is actually silicone, some people like me have made their malt pipe the same diameter as Speidel and use their seal, the alternative is to slit some silicone hose.
2 Coil element sits out side the malt pipe, although on the original 50L there are two and the second smaller element is only used for the boil and sits inside the malt pipe under the bottom FB.
3 In the Original it sits inside the malt pipe under the bottom FB, most clones have it outside the Malt Pipe close to the wort inlet
4 On the original it's 110mm (from memory) on most clones it's less (lots less, mine is set for 30mm)

If your thinking of building a clone there is a wealth of information across about 3 or 4 threads on this site, let me know if you want some links( be prepared for a week or two of reading)

MB

I think most of the questions have been answered, I have loaned out the 20 & 50 litre Malt Tubes at the moment which are of a different size to a stand alone 20 litre unit.

I can however let you have all the dims of the original 20 litre unit one.

Botttoswage25mm_zpse5ce665b.jpg

Diameter270mm_zps132e7486.jpg

DiscUpstand35mm_zps86ea947a.jpg

DiscINTERNAL165to17mm_zpse25ca7fb.jpg

DiscUpstand_zpsbdfb2ed5.jpg

Perforateddisc266mm_zps58dbdd3b.jpg

CentreNut205mm_zps48add74b.jpg

CentreNut17mm_zps5eb949ae.jpg

Nut2_zps6dddab36.jpg

MastersBrewery said:
okay
1 The rubber is actually silicone, some people like me have made their malt pipe the same diameter as Speidel and use their seal, the alternative is to slit some silicone hose.
2 Coil element sits out side the malt pipe, although on the original 50L there are two and the second smaller element is only used for the boil and sits inside the malt pipe under the bottom FB.
3 In the Original it sits inside the malt pipe under the bottom FB, most clones have it outside the Malt Pipe close to the wort inlet
4 On the original it's 110mm (from memory) on most clones it's less (lots less, mine is set for 30mm)

If your thinking of building a clone there is a wealth of information across about 3 or 4 threads on this site, let me know if you want some links( be prepared for a week or two of reading)

MB
Thanks very much MB, really appreciate the responses. I know where the threads are, I've chipped away at them here & there. Think I'll just head back to the start & do it go to whoa. Cheers

barneey said:
I think most of the questions have been answered, I have loaned out the 20 & 50 litre Malt Tubes at the moment which are of a different size to a stand alone 20 litre unit.

I can however let you have all the dims of the original 20 litre unit one.
Thanks very much Barneey, really appreciate the updates. Cheers mate, looking very cool!

That's awesome Barney, thanks for your help.

I too am on Lael's current list, and am hanging to get in to it. Got my magnetic food grade Lowara pump, and picked up a bunch of fittings. just waiting to get it all together and drill some holes in my pot :blink:

I'm looking at making a malt pipe, but am also considering just buying one from someone if it's possible. I'm in Perth and only know of one Braumeister supplier..

I could't make out the ID. It was 260mm, but was that the ID of the malt tube, or the ID of the pressed ridge? If I could get both dimensions would be appreciated.

Do you have a link to your posts from your original 20L Braumeister build?

Cheers mate!

Chris

The internal of the malt tube (for an original 20 litre unit) is 270mm diameter , the screens being 265mm diameter, the indent of approx. 10mm supports the bottom screen.

My original build is on a UK forum Jims Beer Kit, I don't know if links to other forums are OK? but I called it the build breadmaker, so a simple google will find the page, I use the same name on any forum I post on.

Just remember the BM sell two types of 20 litre malt tubes, one for the original 20 litre unit as pictured above and the other one for the 50 litre unit (to enable a 20litre brew) they are both different sizes.

Cheers

Awesome thanks mate, much appreciated. I have come across the breadmaker in my searching.
Chris

Just for everyone's info, the malt pipe on the 50 model is the same diameter as the kettle on the 20 model.
Obviously German ingenuity to use the same rolled section for each application. :)

LINK more info on the 50, and hey I was right with my info earlier, just for the 50.

ED miss spell, miss read , miss brain, too early

Back