Brauduino controlled electric smoker?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
I had a brainwave today - stick an electric oven element in an aldi smoker, control temp with a brauduino controller. Hook up a fan to recirculate air. ensure everything is VERY well grounded.

Got me wondering - would it work? How do electric smokers do their thing?

It would definitely work. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that has a temp probe about 1/2 way up the smoker and an electric element below the smoker box that contains the wood. Should work a treat.

Sweet! Would you mind taking a photo of how the element and woodbox are located? Does it hav a fan or similar to circulate?

Electric frying pan, seen one, worked well, the guy was up Tamworth way, he was just using the inbuilt thermostat.

Any the ribs that came out were f)$/&@ing awesome.

Wow, so simple. What was his ribs technique?

lael said:
Sweet! Would you mind taking a photo of how the element and woodbox are located? Does it hav a fan or similar to circulate?
No problem, I'll get em up in the next day or two.

lael said:
woodchips in the frypan?
lael said:
Wow, so simple. What was his ribs technique?
lael said:
woodchips in the frypan?
Turned on the fry pan, 5/6 on the Dial, grabbed a couple of hand fully of Old American oak chips, (tasted and smelt like port barrel), wet them with a mister(squirt bottle) three times after a couple of mouths fills of beer, ribs were in a glad bags with chilli, soy sauce, HP sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mixed herbs, (master foods I think). The other was hoy sin sauce, honey, oyster sauce, small amount of mustard,seeded, crushed peanuts.

The box was a couple of old orange boxes(the timber ones) covered in a couple of hashing bags (sprayed with the mister a couple of times) a couple of old BBQ grills were in between the boxes and He marinated them the night before, (beef ribs)
Chucked a hand full of chips in the fry pan and slid it under the boxes that we're sitting on four bricks, cooked them for 1.1/2 Hrs I think he chucked another hand full in half way thru.(chips)

Well sticky, hot, yum, and 4 kg of ribs were just enough, and a good dark ale was the desert. Haven't been up there shooting for a long time now. This post has spired me to get some from the butcher, BUGGER YOU.

I've converted an Aldi smoker into a coal smoker.. sealed up the botton box got, a SS collider put a probe in where the temp probe was... got a ball valve down the bottom with a blower probe connected to a PID... its not as effective as my old ugly drum smoker for longer cooks (i.e. 16hr) due to a smaller fire box but works ok. I'm sure the electric element would work just fine...

The thing about the aldi smokers are they are sealed like a old out house... I need to get some high temp food grade silicone and a seal for the door and it'll be a lot better, how's other people with aldi smokers find the head loss?

gav

Here you go, the pics should be fairly self explanatory, but feel free to fire off any more questions.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back