Brass/stainless

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I purchased a 1/2" x 1/2" Brass BSP male elbow compressioin fitting yesterday for $6.95 to use for my sight glass build in a HLT.
Should I or do I really need to use stainless. Prices range from $49.00 to $57.00 for this fitting, Ouch!
I will not be using any harsh cleaners or chemicals & nearly fell off my chair when I rang & enquired about this fitting in stainless.
I have a brass fitting in my mashtun that connects the silicone tube to my false bottom & that doesn't seem to affect anything that I have done in the past.

Crusty

Hi guys,
I purchased a 1/2" x 1/2" Brass BSP male elbow compressioin fitting yesterday for $6.95 to use for my sight glass build in a HLT.
Should I or do I really need to use stainless. Prices range from $49.00 to $57.00 for this fitting, Ouch!
I will not be using any harsh cleaners or chemicals & nearly fell off my chair when I rang & enquired about this fitting in stainless.
I have a brass fitting in my mashtun that connects the silicone tube to my false bottom & that doesn't seem to affect anything that I have done in the past.

Crusty

I wouldn't worry too much about it. All the plumbing in most houses is brass so the water has already passed thru brass....

People don't seem to be getting any dumber do they???

Sorry to slightly hijack this one, but does anybody know if the nickle plated fittings are ok to use, say in the mash? Will the nickle plating react in a bad way or anything?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. All the plumbing in most houses is brass so the water has already passed thru brass....

People don't seem to be getting any dumber do they???

I hope these guys aren't living proof of too much brass.

images.jpg

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll stick with the brass for those two fittings. Everything else is stainless.

Crusty

Hi Crusty

Just wondering what tubing you used for your sight glass and where you got it from?
I'm looking to make one myself...

Cheers

Leon

Hi Crusty

Just wondering what tubing you used for your sight glass and where you got it from?
I'm looking to make one myself...

Cheers

Leon

Hi Leon,
I just went into Scientrific lab supplies here in Yamba & asked if he had any 1/2" Polycarbonate tubing. He cut me off a 600mm piece & gave it to me for free. I assume the stuff is pretty cheap. I have heard a few guys say that they have got theirs from Dotmar Plastics,

Polycarbonate

I used a 1/2" x 1/2" brass compression fitting, BSP male thread elbow, $6.95 from a plumbers suppy place like Tradelink etc. You can weld it straight into your vessel but I am welding stainless sockets into everything & everything is interchangeable / replaceable if need be later down the track.

Crusty

people talk about pickling brass to remove the lead from the surface

have a read and google "Pickling brass"
http://www.cohomebrewers.org/node/43
A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

i have two minds about it but and as i am unable to really test the result, you can make up your own mind about it.

if it keeps you brewing then use it.

i would not use nickle or galvanized......

Leon,
I forgot to mention the brass compression fitting comes with a copper olive. I bought a nylon one & used that instead of the copper one.

Michael,
That sounds a bit scarey. I'm just gunna use it as is.

cheers,

Crusty

Back