Brains In My Fermentor!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
A week or so after racking a nut-brown onto a 1318 yeast cake....

Just wanted to share :)

September2010_086.jpg

The only thing missing in that picture is a sanitised spoon and a sanitised container!

Get top cropping! :beerbang:

The only thing missing in that picture is a sanitised spoon and a sanitised container!

Get top cropping! :beerbang:

Had thought about trying this, but not sure the best way to go about it.

Any suggestions? And how long would you think u could preserve this yeast. I really like it but I am not sure how to top-crop and store this bad boy.

Any help appreciated.

Had thought about trying this, but not sure the best way to go about it.

Any suggestions? And how long would you think u could preserve this yeast. I really like it but I am not sure how to top-crop and store this bad boy.

Any help appreciated.

1) sanitise spoon
2) sanitise container
3) scoop yeast into container

If you wanted to, you could get an empty sanitised beer bottle and a sanitised funnel and put the yeast into a bottle and store it in that. Otherwise you could scoop it into a sanitised jug and pour it into something else...

Cheers
Phil

PS: Best to scoop the yeast from the middle (i.e. don't touch the stuff RIGHT on the edge)

To add - if storing for any length of time, store under cooled boiled water (which can be used to rinse the foam from the sanitised funnel into the storage container). Store in fridge till ready to use.

Great Pic's mate

I have a couple of questions about top cropping

1. So based on that photo you could take say two soup ladles out and split them in two bottles
2. it wont take the yeast to much to recover in fermenter, and no off flavors from stress.
3.Then come back another day, do a starter, pitch and repeat for a couple of gens? So based on splitting the first into two, you could get 7 brews from one pack :D

that's gold if my logic is correct, thinking now of getting 1318 and using it for a another smurtos GA :super:

1) sanitise spoon
2) sanitise container
3) scoop yeast into container

If you wanted to, you could get an empty sanitised beer bottle and a sanitised funnel and put the yeast into a bottle and store it in that. Otherwise you could scoop it into a sanitised jug and pour it into something else...

Cheers
Phil

PS: Best to scoop the yeast from the middle (i.e. don't touch the stuff RIGHT on the edge)

Done!
DSCN3805.JPG
Cheers

damn that's a lot of yeast, how thick was the head

It was about an inch thick. Coulda used a knife to cut through it!

The photo is probably a little misleading. The thick collection at the top is what was harvested, and the rest was mixed up when i put the cooled boiled water in. Should settle out in the fridge i guess. Looking for some other good recipes for using the 1318, so wouldn't mind a copy of your golden ale, if you don't mind.

Cheers

:beer:

Great Pic's mate

I have a couple of questions about top cropping

1. So based on that photo you could take say two soup ladles out and split them in two bottles
2. it wont take the yeast to much to recover in fermenter, and no off flavors from stress.
3.Then come back another day, do a starter, pitch and repeat for a couple of gens? So based on splitting the first into two, you could get 7 brews from one pack :D

that's gold if my logic is correct, thinking now of getting 1318 and using it for a another smurtos GA :super:

Pretty much. You'll get enough yeast to make a large number of brews if you research splitting and slanting smack packs and apply the same principles here.

If the yeast goes into a fermenter within a few days of harvesting, you'll most likely see the new brew kick off very quickly as this kind of yeast is very healthy AND active. A good indication of why active starters can be a good thing to consider instead of fermenting out and decanting.

It was about an inch thick. Coulda used a knife to cut through it!

The photo is probably a little misleading. The thick collection at the top is what was harvested, and the rest was mixed up when i put the cooled boiled water in. Should settle out in the fridge i guess. Looking for some other good recipes for using the 1318, so wouldn't mind a copy of your golden ale, if you don't mind.

Cheers

:beer:

not sure how to Link like some of the other members but here you go http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=502,. To find it on the site it's in the recipeDB, click on the ratings and it will be the top one, great brew too

Nice work. You should be able to do that for dozens of brews before buying more yeast. Just keep track of the generations. Oh - and loosen the lids now and then because they can make a huge mess with those jars if they explode.

Just a heads up chaps that saline solution is apparently a better medium for storing yeast under than boiled water. I don't know this personally but this post is from a knowledgeable member whose opinion I value :)
Great piccys BDB :)
Cheers
Doug

Just a heads up chaps that saline solution is apparently a better medium for storing yeast under than boiled water. I don't know this personally but this post is from a knowledgeable member whose opinion I value :)
Cheers
Doug

Correct. In my lab we use phosphate buffered saline when washing cells, not pure water. Pure water will create a huge salt gradient across the cell membrane (osmotic pressure) that can result in the cells bursting.

Correct. In my lab we use phosphate buffered saline when washing cells, not pure water. Pure water will create a huge salt gradient across the cell membrane (osmotic pressure) that can result in the cells bursting.

What would be a good solution to do this with as I've been thinking of harvesting some of those bewdiful beasties to do some further good work B)

Cheers
Doug

Hey Doug, how are you doing this? Are you buying the saline solution or just adding 9g of salt to 1L of boiled water? Interested to know as I have just been storing them in boiled water....

Cheers
CDJ

Latest posts

Back