Brads 6 Keg Kegarator

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

After alot of gunnado planning I have finally decided to turn the chesty fermenting fridge into a kegerator.
Had a day off today to get stuff done in the yard, but it rained so i went to the local timberyard instead and grabbed some cheap pine.
The freezer was made by the father in law and is over 25yrs old and only on its second compressor.
Its looking pretty rough at the moment but will come up to standard once the foam (which will be coated with waterproof membrane)is added to the internal of the collar. I will add a peice of hardwood to the back of the collar to a. meet size and b. I dont like the idea of using pine to support the hinges when the hinge is hydrolic (looks like a mini shocky). I will be using the english walnut veenered timber from my 1880's Thurmer piano along with some stainless to pretty up and when the 3 perlicks turn up make it up to 5 taps. Thanks to tidalpete I have solved the problem of the drip tray.

P1040583.JPG

P1040584.JPG

P1040585.JPG

P1040589.JPG

P1040592.JPG

Looking good Brad, good to see you still have your priorities right ripping apart a 1880's piano.... :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers: CB

WTF is that last photo??

It is a Piano, can you please explain what happens next?

BTW: Great work!

The last pic is a shot of the 130 yr old piano that is going to donate a few panels. :icon_cheers: The piano has some awesome walnut panels that will be refinished and used to cover the sheetmetal of the freezer. The inner side of the keybord cover looks new and will also be used. There is also the timber cherubs that will be used as well. Stay tuned it may end up fully automated.

Cheers

Looking good Brad, good to see you still have your priorities right ripping apart a 1880's piano.... :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers: CB

Yep Jody, I am making a piano Bar.................bad joke I know but it has water damage, it beyond retune and I cant play piano. Pretty sure the keys are laminated with actual ivory too so I may have to use those as well.
PS will have to catch up for a beer soon.

Cheers Brad

Yeah, I was wondering about that piano too Bradley? :rolleyes:
Doing a good job there alright mate & just wondering about the dimensions of that collar? 40mm or so thick? How wide? Just curious. You plan to seal the pine? As a professional what would you use?
So many questions. :D
Interested in seeing a pic of that waterproof foam (and any info on it) when you get the chance as any improvement in insulation is good.

:icon_offtopic: G'day CB long time no see. :icon_cheers:

TP

Wow, that's gutsy Brad! :blink: Not sure if I'd have the nerve to do that myself, but then again, the walnut does look rather nice. :huh:

Doing a good job there alright mate & just wondering about the dimensions of that collar? 40mm or so thick? How wide? Just curious. You plan to seal the pine? As a professional what would you use?
Interested in seeing a pic of that waterproof foam (and any info on it) when you get the chance as any improvement in insulation is good.

TP
Hey Pete, The pine I used was 290 x 19 so I glued and screwed it so it ended up at 39mm wide. the collar itself is 890 x 610 but was made to suit the external so I can adhere some polysty foam to it and coat it with a waterproof membrane(waterborne). After that the internal will be coated with an Isocyanate free 2 part polyurethane(extreme marine submersion......but not a micaceous iron oxide).
The way it sits now is simply structural but working and I will post progress pics. Pete ther will be left over product if you want some.

Cheers

After that the internal will be coated with an Isocyanate free 2 part polyurethane(extreme marine submersion......but not a micaceous iron oxide).

Thanks Brad. I get the polyurethane but the rest eludes me? We'll have a talk at Batz's. :party:

TP

Wow, that's gutsy Brad! :blink: Not sure if I'd have the nerve to do that myself, but then again, the walnut does look rather nice. :huh:

Ralph the story behind this Piano deserves to be the talking point at the kegerator. It was my first purchase on ebay and I drove a 700k round trip to wyalla to pick it up. Got two speeding fines at Armidale, 1 on the way down and 1 on the way back by the same ficking camera. So the piano cost me an extra $600. The walnut will shine with some work. I am sure the piano gods would much prefer it to be reborn as a kegerater feature than become landfill.

Cheers

I am sure the piano gods would much prefer it to be reborn as a kegerater feature than become landfill.

Cheers

:kooi:

Keep the photos coming mate... interest is through the roof!

Damn my grandma having a piano in her entry - now when I see it, used to to think can't wait to see my kids play that, I think that will be the front panel on my keggerator!

DAMN YOU!
:huh:

Ralph the story behind this Piano deserves to be the talking point at the kegerator. It was my first purchase on ebay and I drove a 700k round trip to wyalla to pick it up. Got two speeding fines at Armidale, 1 on the way down and 1 on the way back by the same ficking camera. So the piano cost me an extra $600. The walnut will shine with some work. I am sure the piano gods would much prefer it to be reborn as a kegerater feature than become landfill.

Cheers
Ah, its all good then Brad- it has some intrinsic value to you and a bit of history, while also sensibly reusing materials. And it will be a constant reminder for to you to just behave yourself! :D
Hope it comes up a treat, looking forward to the end result! :icon_cheers:

Why not make the Piano into a Mini bar. I think Home and Gardens did one a couple of issues ago. I have the mag somewhere. Will try and find it, maybe give you some ideas. The Piano would make a great kegarator or even serving bar you could run your lines through.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Chucka

Edit:I found a link here Piano Bar Better Homes and Garden

Why not make the Piano into a Mini bar. I think Home and Gardens did one a couple of issues ago. I have the mag somewhere. Will try and find it, maybe give you some ideas. The Piano would make a great kegarator or even serving bar you could run your lines through.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Chucka

Edit:I found a link here Piano Bar Better Homes and Garden

Or even combine the two so you can entertain your drinking guests at the same time, but you could do without the

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep Jody, I am making a piano Bar.................bad joke I know but it has water damage, it beyond retune and I cant play piano. Pretty sure the keys are laminated with actual ivory too so I may have to use those as well.
PS will have to catch up for a beer soon.

Cheers Brad

Funny mate.... You are a ideas kind of guy Brad....
A catch up for a beer sounds awesome mate!!!! We'll have to line it up, maybe a small meet at Chappos???

TP

Hey Pete, yeh mate, its been a while, quite busy working and trying to get a Business organised.....

My brewing priorities are out the door, ive still got beer on tap though...

CB

Back