Bottle now, or wait?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well I've got a Chubby Cherub fermenting at home, I put it on 8 days ago and the last time I checked it was down to about 1020, still a way off.

Now, I'm hoping it finishes fermenting out during the week, but the thing is, I'm out of town for a week as of next weekend. Should I dry hop now, hope that I've settled by the weekend, and bottle.

Or do I leave it, rack into secondary, dry hop and let it sit for a week while I'm away on holidays? It's in a temperature controlled fridge, the only concern I have about secondary is that if there was a power outage I'd have no control over it, primary fermentation would be over however.....

Any thoughts?
I'm leaning towards bottling on saturday night, assuming I've hit FG of course.

I would dry hop only when you have a few points left to go

What yeast did you use? Ferment temps?

Whats it reading today?

I would leave it, besides if you do have a power outage most of the ferment has already taken place and the higher temp would not really constitute any unwanted flavours

Just about to measure it today.

Using bry97 at 18 degrees.

Alright I'm at 1012. I think I'll drop the hops in tonight and bottle Saturday. I'm pretty keen to get it in bottles I'd like to drink it mid Jan.

It's going to be quite nice, passion fruit and grapefruit really stands out with a nice bitterness.

+1 wait. Just leave it until you get back, then dry hop, will allow ample time for the yeast to clean up after itself.

Expected FG is 1008-1012 and it's at 1012 now. An extra 6 days should be long enough after FG right? I think I'll still bottle Saturday night, I was really hoping to get it sorted so I've got something to drink for mid January.

I understand the reasoning behind waiting, I just don't know if I can.

Yeah sorry it wasn't as clear when I was expecting a few more days of fermentation to get to Fg. Oh well!

If it's at fg now, saturday should be enough time to clean up byproducts.

Latest posts

Back