Bottle Conditioning Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
Gday guys. at what temp do people botle condition their lagers?

my pilsner has been in CC for a month and tastes great, i dont want it developing fruity flavours by conditioning too warm. is 12 Degrees ok or should it be warmer?

Cheers, Ash

Gday guys. at what temp do people botle condition their lagers?

my pilsner has been in CC for a month and tastes great, i dont want it developing fruity flavours by conditioning too warm. is 12 Degrees ok or should it be warmer?

Cheers, Ash

Ash
I havent had any problems conditioning mine at room temp in the laundry which is a lot warmer than 12.
Cheers
Steve

My beers get stored in my garage which probably gets as high as 18-24 degrees.

Never tasted any off flavours.

Ideally I'd love to cold condition but no where to do so!

as you have already done the 4 weeks I'd say it would be fine. I have left kegs (I know, not bottles) in temps upto 30 + degrees and they have been fine. As long as you condition it in a cube first I can see no problem infact some lagers I think were better after being out ofthe fridge for a while.

the thing im worried about is the yeast fermenting a bit fruity at higher temps or not at all at lower temps

what do you mean by conditioning in a cube? I ferment in a fermenter and then rack to another one jsut big enoguh for the baatch for CC then bottle

Well you mentioned that you haved already done 4 weeks of CC which I am guessing is in a cube yes?

So now I would say you've done enough and most of the yeast would have already dropped out.

The little bit of fermentation that takes place in the bottle isn't going to produce much in the way of esters. I routinely raise the temperature of my fermenters for the last few gravity points with no dramas.

i condition in a fermenter not a cube. sorry i didnt get ya at first.

if all yeast drops out it means there is not much left to bottle condition so it would probably need to be a bit warmer to make sure whats left can.

so yeah pretty much what kai has said, there won't be enough yeast left to cause you any flavour problems.

Ash secondary is minimal v primary. Big worry is the yeast cannibilising itself and leaving a vegemite taste which is offset by storing the beer at lowest temp the yeast just works out.

so yeah pretty much what kai has said, there won't be enough yeast left to cause you any flavour problems.

Yeah, though I also meant that there aren't enough fermentables left to cause any problems either.

Latest posts

Back