Bottle capper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone lend me a bottle capper for this evening in Newcastle please?
I'm putting down some stout in some recently acquired longnecks, and I'm a bit wary of the hammer bottle capper as I sliced my thumb and bird finger open last time I used it on a longie which broke.
I'll come get it and bring it back.
I'm in Kotara.
Thanks.

ive got one on the coast if you dont get any other offers

Jazzman said:
Hi, could anyone lend me a bottle capper for this evening in Newcastle please?
I'm putting down some stout in some recently acquired longnecks, and I'm a bit wary of the hammer bottle capper as I sliced my thumb and bird finger open last time I used it on a longie which broke.
I'll come get it and bring it back.
I'm in Kotara.
Thanks.
Those hammer jobs should be illegal. I used one when I was 18 and they are absolutely useless and dangerous more to the point.

Because I was a stinge bag, I recall making my own turbo bottle capper by using the capping bit from the hammer capper and screwing it into a lever I made out of some pine I got from bunnings to replicate a turbo bottle capper type job. It was a bit flimsy but did the job!

Good luck in the search.

Well, 23 longnecks capped with that evil ******* thing. I don't think I ever broke a bottle with one of them back in the day, but I won't be using it again. I was leather gloved and goggled this time!! They're not on fully like a factory job, but I can't pull em off with gloved hands so that'll do. Not much gas in the stout either.
My thumb is still sore, but could've been a lot worse.
Thanks for the help fellas.
Off to Gumtree to source a capper.

Ps, I did take the cap end off and put a bolt in and chucked it in the drill press, but that didn't work.

Thanks Labrooy,
I should've checked on here
first. I had tea and got into it.

I have one that is used in a drill press, it's spring loaded and works bloody brilliantly. Unfortunately I'm in Brisbane and you've already capped the batch. :lol:

11229564_10207134756635870_4192184846168382163_n.jpg

Hey, Rocker, that's looks pretty cool. Where do you get them?

I got one of these a little while back: (no affiliation)
http://makezine.com/review/tool-review-drill-press-bottle-capper/

Worked well on my pedestal press, but got sick of readjusting the drill press plates, so i borrowed a mates Superautomatica and then picked one up in a bulk bottling lot.

But if you are only bottling the occasional brew it will be sufficient. I occasionally bottle entire batches, which got a bit tiring.

I've noticed you can often pick up decent bottle cappers on Gumtree bundled in with other brewing equipment for less than buying one new. I bought my Superautomatica years ago, it looks it's age, been used more times than I can count to and still caps any bottle like a champion.

Mine was a home made one Jazzman. I'm pretty sure the bell came out of one of those hammer jobs though. Dad made it years ago after getting sick of the hammer ones and those god awful two handled things.

Back