Boilovers And Kettle Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's too large for a single batch
unless it's 100 litres, it's never really too much capacity for a single batch
you can sparge more and reduce the greater volume with a longer boil before the hop additions
i agree though that holding off and getting something that enables you to do double batches is a great move.
once you've finished tinkering with your recipes you can make your favourite brew in a decent amount. :beer:

Sourced this from a mates elderly neighbour during a clean-up he was having ...ex us army stockpot :super:

View attachment 8110 View attachment 8111

Aluminium ...15 gal ... good condition.

Does anyone know a good method for cleaning-up aluminium? Any products/cleaners to especially avoid when working with aluminium?

... if you can remember, that is? :lol: :D

I just use hot water and elbow grease. Bit of detergent if it needs it. If you really need to scrub soemthing off you may need to re-passivate the aluminium. Just leaving it exposed to the air for a day or 2 will do but you can use vinegar or something like that to re-form the oxide layer. You don't want it shiny. Shiny aluminium is bad. The shiny stuff is aluminium metal which is reactive. The grey, dull stuff is aluminium oxide which is inert.

As far as what to avoid... caustic. I can't remember whether bleach is OK or not. I know its bad for stainless but I think its bad for ally as well.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave.

I wasn't looking for any quick fixes ...and it's in pretty good condition anyway - given that it's over 35yrs old!! :eek:

I'll be giving it a clean-up this arvo ...bit of a scrub as you suggest, and that should do the trick.

Can't wait to test out my "new" kettle :beer:

Latest posts

Back