Boiling Kit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Sure i read here (can't remember the post) that you can use a kit yeast for nutrients, by boiling it in the packet to kill off the yeast? Was recommended i use nutrients to re-start a stuck fermentation. Heading out of town tomorrow and don't have any nutrient. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Hi,
Sure i read here (can't remember the post) that you can use a kit yeast for nutrients, by boiling it in the packet to kill off the yeast? Was recommended i use nutrients to re-start a stuck fermentation. Heading out of town tomorrow and don't have any nutrient. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

I have thrown a few old packs of dry yeast into the last 10 minutes of the boil during an AG batch, I can't really recall if it made a huge difference to using proper nutrient. A multivitamin tablet will also work in a pinch but if you have stuck fermentation then the best thing to do would be to get a healthy yeast starter going with lots of nutrient in it and pitch that. Depending on the current yeast you are using some just give up the ghost if they are unhappy and you may not have much luck trying to get the current yeast to get going again. Have you been giving the fermenter a good rousing as well?

I have thrown a few old packs of dry yeast into the last 10 minutes of the boil during an AG batch, I can't really recall if it made a huge difference to using proper nutrient. A multivitamin tablet will also work in a pinch but if you have stuck fermentation then the best thing to do would be to get a healthy yeast starter going with lots of nutrient in it and pitch that. Depending on the current yeast you are using some just give up the ghost if they are unhappy and you may not have much luck trying to get the current yeast to get going again. Have you been giving the fermenter a good rousing as well?

Thanks for the reply. I'd almost given up hope. Have given the fermenter a good swish or two. Also it had a very high OG 1080. But according to the recipe it should drop to 1019. Stuck at 1031. Muntons Gold yeast. Have made another starter, and also boiled an old (2 month) kit yeast for about 1/2 hour. Think i might mix and pitch. Whats the worst that can happen? Maybe i'll end up with a nice salad dressing or something to put on my fish and chips. ('bout 15 litres worth) :lol:

Hi Dans6401,
what is SG is it stuck at? what SG did you have? How sure are you that it's a stuck ferment?

I've heard that boiled yeast can be used, and have used it several times myself, but unsure of the results...
It may help, but i can't see it helping massively, but can't hurt to try.
I'd be trying swirling the fermenter as ausdb said and raising the temperature though as my first step.

Cheers,
Al

Some more things to ponder :)
What ingredients is this extract or AG wort?
1.080 - 1.031 = 62% apparent attenuation which is pretty low, so you do have bit to go.
1.080 - 1.019 is 76% which is pretty good for a pommy yeast especially if it is an all extract brew
What yeast have you made a starter with?
What temp are you fermenting it at?

You dont have a pH reading for the beer as it stands ? I would be interested to see if this has caused a premature flocculation. I am just looking at a theory at the moment and need some data to verify my thoughts.
GB

what is SG is it stuck at?
Stuck at 1031
what SG did you have?
very high OG 1080
How sure are you that it's a stuck ferment?
Sat on that for the last 4 days
What ingredients is this extract or AG wort?
K&K
What yeast have you made a starter with?
Muntons Gold yeast
What temp are you fermenting it at?
Around 21
Thanks for your help. This isn't the first time i've had a stuck fermentation, and i haven't been brewing for that long. Last one i gave to the ants. This time i want to keep it.
Great site, actually i've done a couple of extract brews and an all grain biab, if it was'nt for you guys i'm sure i'd be following the coopers instructions still.
Cheers

You dont have a pH reading for the beer as it stands ? I would be interested to see if this has caused a premature flocculation. I am just looking at a theory at the moment and need some data to verify my thoughts.
GB

No idea on even how to go about getting the ph reading. Something i have to look in to.

Hi,

I tried this recently with good results for fermentation. Beer subsequently produced some wierd flavours though. That happened to anyone else?

I tried this recently with good results for fermentation. Beer subsequently produced some wierd flavours though. That happened to anyone else?

I tried it last night and mixed it with the starter. I sampled some before and after and it seemed to change the flavour quite a lot. Don't know if using nutrients would have produced the same result. Would'nt be at all surprised if the beer does gets some weird flavours.

Latest posts

Back