Boil Lengths

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobo

Reaction score
hi all,

quite a few recipes call for a 90min boil, ive only ever done a 60 min (well, i let all the crap boil off then count 60mins) is there really any benifit?

lobo

I always do a 90min boil.

It ensures that most of the precursers for DMS are boiled off. This is more important with Pilsner malt.

It also helps for a clearer finnished beer

Kabooby :)

sold,

my 2nd ag will be 100% jw pils. and anything that helps with clearer beer.

lobo

I do a 90 min boil...

But i only add hops for :
~ 60mins - by getting it boiling first before the 1st hop addition - gives less boil overs.
~ then 15 min and under additions.

This allows me to check gravity at 15 mins to go and if i am under a bit - let boil longer until desired gravity is almost reached an then do the 15 min and on etc hop and spice additions.

Hope this makes sense...

Longer boils are necessary for stronger beers unless you really want to lose efficiency. Stronger batches need more sparging per batch size to get the same efficiency, so you need to boil longer to drive off the extra water.

Extended boiling also "caramelises" wort, which affects the colour and flavour.

75 mins

First addition at 60 mins

I remember reading an article a while ago about the benefits of extending the boil beyond 60 mins - though the reasons seem to escape me know

But 15 mins extra must have been mentioned

Cheers

Boil for 15 minutes first to allow for hot break, and skimming of any scum.
Then boil for an hour, with the usual hop additions etc.

Ah...the ol' scum sckimming debacle ;)

Depends on the beer style.

Many of my ales I only boil for 60 or 75 minutes.
My lighter coloured ales made with pilsner malt and all my lagers I boil for 90 minutes.
Make sure you don't boil the hops for longer than 60 minutes though, as it does not improve efficiency and you start to extract undesirables.

MFS

Been doing 70min but only start counting once its boiling so add an extra 20min of heating time to get to a rolling boil

MFS I am interested in the undesirables that you can get with a hops boiled for longer than 60min. What is your experience with it?

I recently did a trial with some older cascade hops I wanted to get rid of by adding them at 80 min in an english bitter. The rest of the hops were EKG and I can not detect any of the cascade or any undesireable flavours.

Sorry for the off topic

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

I boil for 90mins on everything, but not really for DMS etc etc... although the assumption is that they are covered as well.

I do it for process reasons.

Wort comes to a boil -> its well mixed up, so I take a refractometer reading -> now before I have to add the 60min hops, I have half an hour to adjust if I haven't hit my numbers. Either adjust the bitterness to account for gravity differences, or to add some DME or cut water to bring the gravity to where I want it. That 30mins is plenty of time to run upstairs and poke some figures into pro-mash -> at 60mins I turn off the gas for a second to take a volume reading, so I can tell if my boil off is going as expected. Then I can adjust the flame, boil length or maybe add a little water so I get my correct post boil volume.

The theory is that this way at the end of the boil, I will always have exactly the right amount of wort at exactly the right gravity - one of these days I'll even make it happen

Thirsty

I did my first 75 min boil last saturday. Boiled for 15 mins before my 60 min hop addition. Previous batches with same same bill have come in around 1044. This one came in at 1052. I didnt change anything else. I was happy. I might try a 90 min boil this weekend to see if it improves.
Cheers
Steve

Boil for 15 minutes first to allow for hot break, and skimming of any scum.
Then boil for an hour, with the usual hop additions etc.

+1

Consistent boil lengths do make it a lot easier for judging your boil and getting consistent volumes at the end

"90 minutes for everything I brew."

+1

Plus another one, for all the reasons expressed to date, but primarily consistency and to boil off the dreaded PMS precursors. There's enough of that without me creating any more. :ph34r:

so i boil for 60. if i wanted to boil for 90 wouldnt i loose more to evaparation?

my kettle starts off at 43 full to the brim and i end up with 33 into the fermenter after a 60 boil (keggle with a massive opening). i would boil off more for a 90 yes?

lucky im getting my 100lt pot soon.

Back