Boil kettle/HLT advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've got my fermenter and my mash tun sorted. Mash Tun is a Keep Cold 37L which I've fitted with bits from Bunnings. Doesn't appear to be leaking either so chuffed with that. Need to pick up a false bottom and brass hosetail for the ball valve and then that's that done.

Next I'm trying to figure out my boil kettle. I was looking at the 70L pot from Craftbrewer and it looked idea until I found out that they can't drill holes in it. It comes with a hole for the tap but I wanted to use an electric element and simply I have neither the tools nor expertise (in particular) to drill suitable holes. I did look at picking up a drill and all the other bits necessary however - 70L kettle, plus drill plus bits would be well over $300. With that kind of money, I could have a few other options:

a. get a Crown urn -
positives: it'll be cheaper (slightly) and it comes set up although the tap is a pain in the arse (I have one back in the UK for BIAB which will be shipped over here eventually) and I'm not sure if you can replace it with a ball valve affair.

negatives: it's only 40L and I wouldn't mind the extra headspace of a 50 or 70L pot and see previous for my comment on the tap.

b. get the pot anyway and use a gas burner -
positives: It'll probably work out the same cost as a crown urn

negatives: I'll probably set me, the smallish balcony and my new apartment on fire.

c. dunno

Any thoughts? I suspect getting a gas burner might be the best/only option. Or have I missed anything?

Cheers,

welly(2)

Oh, I meant to get some suggestions for the HLT. This, actually, would only really be for sparging so I could almost get a 17L pot and just boil it on the stove in the kitchen.

Where abouts are you located mate? Someone local may have the bits you require to drill the holes

If in Logan area I can help mate

Replacing the tap on a crown urn with a ball valve is pretty easy - I did it last weekend. You will need two large spanners.

If you're trying to spend as little as possible then a cheap pot from Big W or an equivalent shop will be fine for your HLT. Probably easiest to batch sparge.

I did it this way for 25 batches before upgrading to a crown urn for my HLT recently. My setup is a 50L pot with ball valve and gas burner for the kettle and crown urn for the HLT. Definitely not the cheapest way to go, but I've been gradually adding to my system over a few years.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.

jonnir said:
Where abouts are you located mate? Someone local may have the bits you require to drill the holes

If in Logan area I can help mate
I'm in Darwin CBD. I've literally only just moved here so know no one local at the moment :)

AndrewSA said:
Replacing the tap on a crown urn with a ball valve is pretty easy - I did it last weekend. You will need two large spanners.

If you're trying to spend as little as possible then a cheap pot from Big W or an equivalent shop will be fine for your HLT. Probably easiest to batch sparge.

I did it this way for 25 batches before upgrading to a crown urn for my HLT recently. My setup is a 50L pot with ball valve and gas burner for the kettle and crown urn for the HLT. Definitely not the cheapest way to go, but I've been gradually adding to my system over a few years.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.
I may just go for the crown urn for the time being. I suspect it'll be the easiest set up and I'm pretty new to home brewing anyway so not yet brewing anything too clever. I can probably get away with a 40L boil kettle anyway. I'll have a think over the weekend! Thanks for the advice!

I use the craftbrewer 70l pot with 2 over the side 2400W elements, no holes required although the elements cost more, but can be used elsewhere in the brewery too.Makes cleaning the pot very easy too. Usually clean them by running in sodium percarb in the mashtun and leave overnight if very dirty ( pretty rare ). Use the 40l crown urn from biab days as HLT.

seamad said:
I use the craftbrewer 70l pot with 2 over the side 2400W elements, no holes required although the elements cost more, but can be used elsewhere in the brewery too.Makes cleaning the pot very easy too. Usually clean them by running in sodium percarb in the mashtun and leave overnight if very dirty ( pretty rare ). Use the 40l crown urn from biab days as HLT.
That might just be the ticket. Can you point me to the elements you're using?

Thanks!

welly2 said:
Next I'm trying to figure out my boil kettle. I was looking at the 70L pot from Craftbrewer and it looked idea until I found out that they can't drill holes in it. It comes with a hole for the tap but I wanted to use an electric element and simply I have neither the tools nor expertise (in particular) to drill suitable holes. I did look at picking up a drill and all the other bits necessary however - 70L kettle, plus drill plus bits would be well over $300.
Seamad's suggestion of over the side elements is and excellent one, but if you still want to have elements housed in your kettle, drop into your local steel fabrication workshop. For a case of beer they will drill you as many holes as you like. They should have those tungsten carbide hole saws, which will go through stainless steel like a pisshead through a kebab.

JD

Sorry for the completely useless post but this literally made me spit out my beer.

JDW81 said:
like a pisshead through a kebab.
I'm definitely using this in place of "Like a knife through butter" from now on.

Latest posts

Back