Boil Half The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this the stupidest Question you have seen on AHB

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of Course

• Definately

• No, but it is pretty stupid

• Total voters
From what I've heard the Rager formula for calculating IBU's is meant to be about the best for concentrated boils.

In relation to a concentrated boil for later dilution ...

I almost always do this for regular beers (4 - 6% ABV). I calculate the recipe for a final volume of 44L. This is achieved with a concentrated wort of 30L and 14L of water. I do two ferments, each 15L wort + 7L water.

Before boil I have about 41L in the kettle.

regards,
Scott

In relation to a concentrated boil for later dilution ...

I almost always do this for regular beers (4 - 6% ABV). I calculate the recipe for a final volume of 44L. This is achieved with a concentrated wort of 30L and 14L of water. I do two ferments, each 15L wort + 7L water.

Before boil I have about 41L in the kettle.

regards,
Scott

I do the same as SAH and /// (in fact they recently helped me with the concept; thanks guys :icon_chickcheers: ). IBU's came out in the beer as I expected using Rager formula.

Setup in beersmith would be somehting like the following for the gear you have

PS. The top up water gets added at the time of adding the wort to the fermenter to take your 19.6L boil (I know this is pushing it), less trub, less cooling, less evaporation, plus top up to final volume of 8L to a final volume of 21L to ferment.

One thing further, if you plan to do a split boil make sure that you either combine all of your runnings into one container prior to splitting and boiling, or that you measure the SG for each batch. Failure to do this will give you a higher hop utilisation in the second runnings as it will have a lower SG than the first running.

Cheers,

Beejay

Edit:Wrong pic and info

image002.jpg

Latest posts

Back