Bm Design Question For Mato

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mexican

Reaction score
Hi Mato

hoping you can help by running your eye over my proposed layout, I am concerned whether my volumes are workable, especially in relatrionship to grain depth & channeling, plus I have no idea what min. & max. batch sizes I will be able to handle. If you can see any problem I would appreciate your help.

Cheers
The Mexican (retired to QLD)

Braumiser_50L.gif

Hi Mato

hoping you can help by running your eye over my proposed layout, I am concerned whether my volumes are workable, especially in relatrionship to grain depth & channeling, plus I have no idea what min. & max. batch sizes I will be able to handle. If you can see any problem I would appreciate your help.

Cheers
The Mexican (retired to QLD)
Hi Mexican,

I've gone through a similar process so can help at least with your relative volumes. Think about how much wort you can get from a 29 litre mash pipe and that effectively determines your batch size. My mash pipe is 19 litres and I can do a 20 litre batch of up to 1070. You could therefore roughly do same for a 30 litre batch or approx 40 litres of a 1050 beer.

The kettle is big compared to the pipe. I have a 40 litre kettle for a 19 litre pipe, which is about the right ratio. If you wanted to do larger 40 litre batches you'd obviously need a bigger pipe. Or you could use the urn you have and get a smaller (say 60 litre kettle).

cheers, Arnie

Hi Mexican,

I've gone through a similar process so can help at least with your relative volumes. Think about how much wort you can get from a 29 litre mash pipe and that effectively determines your batch size. My mash pipe is 19 litres and I can do a 20 litre batch of up to 1070. You could therefore roughly do same for a 30 litre batch or approx 40 litres of a 1050 beer.

The kettle is big compared to the pipe. I have a 40 litre kettle for a 19 litre pipe, which is about the right ratio. If you wanted to do larger 40 litre batches you'd obviously need a bigger pipe. Or you could use the urn you have and get a smaller (say 60 litre kettle).

cheers, Arnie

thanks Arnie..

the thinking on the large kettle was to give me plenty of area around the elements & under the Malt pipe to limit any scorching & to give me plenty of headroom. I'm with you on comming down to around 60L as I am concerned that on a smaller brew I may not have anough wort to cover the side elements as it floods back down.

thanks Arnie..

the thinking on the large kettle was to give me plenty of area around the elements & under the Malt pipe to limit any scorching & to give me plenty of headroom. I'm with you on comming down to around 60L as I am concerned that on a smaller brew I may not have anough wort to cover the side elements as it floods back down.

I just spotted my classification... "Kit Master" & I've been brewing 60L batches for 25 years.????????

if you were any good at brewing you would have a couple thousand useless posts. There is a clear relationship between useless posts and quality of brewing. If you want to improve your brewing forget temp control or giving the ferment extra time, just have a few and spout off opinions

if you were any good at brewing you would have a couple thousand useless posts. There is a clear relationship between useless posts and quality of brewing. If you want to improve your brewing forget temp control or giving the ferment extra time, just have a few and spout off opinions
Surely there is no-one on here who does that ? I could not even begin to assume that some of the posters on here spout useless shite :blink:

I just spotted my classification... "Kit Master" & I've been brewing 60L batches for 25 years.????????

Build up your post count to 500+, and you can rename your classification to whatever you wish.

Kit Master is there because of your relatively low post count.
Not a bad thing, because obviously you don't post frivolous stuff like many of us do.

thanks Arnie..

With an average brew (1050ish) I need about 28 litres of strike water on mine to reliably cover the heating elements. I sparge with 4-5 litres at the end to make up the required pre-boil volume.

The wheels look a bit small :ph34r:

Build up your post count to 500+, and you can rename your classification to whatever you wish.

Kit Master is there because of your relatively low post count.
Not a bad thing, because obviously you don't post frivolous stuff like many of us do.

...........And here I was trying to change mine from Kit master to BIAB brewer, thinking I had control over the setting..... No wonder I couldn't even find the setting to change it.

I digress, back to the original question, I remember Tony was going through calculations on his proposed set up in Matho's thread on his brilliant Braumiser Clone
Swampy

joking Joyce......................................................

sorry for not replying I just noticed this thread now, but its fairly well explained in the PDF but use it more as a rule of thumb and not a hard and fast law, it will help and get you in the ball park.
remember to post pics of your setup when your done.

cheers steve

Thank you Blue Sky, the pdf. gave me exactle wht I wanted to know.... I had worked out the volumes but I had no ideal of the grain displacement ratio.
And thanks for the gif file top left...

Cheers

TM,
No worries. The good thing about building something similar but on an extremely tight budget - as I'm having to - is that I have plenty of time to search, read & bookmark ;)

Btw, Steve/Matho, thanks for all your work & info in you 'Nextgen' thread :beer:

Back