HERMs Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamby

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am sure that this question has been answered but i could truly find a response.
I am looking at buying a 3 vessel HERMs system which includes:
1 x 50L HLT with 7.8 metre SS coil
1 x 70L MLT
1 x 70L Kettle
I am really concerned about heating times for the HLT and MLT strike water.
The unit only comes with 1 x 2000W element in the HLT and my intention is to fill up the HLT and the correct strike water in the MLT recirculate both to get to strike temp, so in theory i can have 40 litres in the HLT and 30 in the MLT making 80L i need to heat up with only 1 2000W element. This truly concerns me. What would people suggest, i understand another element would help but will 4000W even be enough. I appreciate it will always eventually get to temp but how long can you extend your brew day.

Hi Gamby. A couple of things on this. You could heat strike water only and dough in and then refill the HLT with sparge water and heat, for this to be effective you would need to have your mashy insulated to keep temp whilst the HLT is getting up to the same temp. Most likely not the ideal way to go and it can waste time. Perhaps look at the systems that are on retailers sites and check what size elements they are recommending and then look at upgrading your element. Off the top of my head I would have thought that you would need at least a 2400 watt element.

Hi Razz,
Thanks for the reply, your idea will of course work but my concern is by the time my sparge water heats up, with a 2000W element, by the time it gets to my sparge temp, my 60 minute mash would be complete, i doubt any SS pot, even insulated would keep it with 1 degree over 60 minutes, not to mention it defeats the purpose of a HERMs system as im not recirculating, then its just a HEM's.. haha

Looking into a RIMS's, but they must have disadvantages as well...

Hi Razz,
Thanks for the reply, your idea will of course work but my concern is by the time my sparge water heats up, with a 2000W element, by the time it gets to my sparge temp, my 60 minute mash would be complete, i doubt any SS pot, even insulated would keep it with 1 degree over 60 minutes, not to mention it defeats the purpose of a HERMs system as im not recirculating, then its just a HEM's.. haha

Looking into a RIMS's, but they must have disadvantages as well...

Maybe take a read of this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/herms-vs-rims-electric-pros-and-cons.198386/

I'd expect 2x 2k elements should do the job fairly well in a HERMS

Latest posts

Back