Blood everywhere .. The bottle went BANG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Dont worry. I am fully aware of what they charge. Having been thru a divorce anf forking out $20k I know all about the fees. Even walking into there office costs $80/15 mins
^ yep. Sounds about right, 3 x 6min units @ ~$300/hr. For family law shit usually gets spiteful between parties and nobody ends up with anything (except the lawyers that is). Partners at bigger firms charge out at more like $500-600/hr. If they like you they might write off the occasional unit. If they want to milk you they'll put the graduate on your case and charge them out at the partner's rate... but if they go overboard you can get another firm to run a cost assessor through it.

My better half just served a bankruptcy notice to a lawyer who overcharged his client by a couple of hundred grand.. looks like his wife might have to sell that holiday house haha.

I'd love to know what happens when a lawyer sues another lawyer. Who charges who for what!

I was lucky. My solicitor told " dont come and see me unless I ask you to" and when it came to all my financial details he asked me to bring in my statements etc itemised and in order so he didnt have to charge me for sorting it all out.

practicalfool said:
I'd love to know what happens when a lawyer sues another lawyer. Who charges who for what!
well the lawyer doesn't charge themselves for their time... haha.
Which ever party 'wins' inevitably applies for a costs order, whole or partial, and bleeds that out of them as well.

Yeah, it's amazing how this stuff works. I read through the administrators report on the business and saw their hourly rates and expense charges and thought to myself, fvck, they will make more money than the bank (creditors) they are 'supposedly' working for. Enough OT. Back to blood, gore and litigation.

In America, lawyers have worked out their divorce clients often get less payout than their lawyer fees, so they conveniently allow you to contribute the rest of the fees out of your alimony cheques.

Kaiser Soze said:
True, but remember that the only reason they can conduct the business in the first place is because they aren't fermenting the end product, otherwise they'd need a whole new suite of licenses to sell you alcohol. If the law can overlook that point to allow the business to operate, it can probably apply the same standards to this case.

And you seem to have confused legal outcomes with logic :blink:
I think you will find they pay an excise of some description which tends to say its them that makes alcohol.
(Here in S.A. anyway)

Everyone else in the world gets Audited, have lawyers ever been, they've gotta be more currupt than a mid 90's Greyhound trainer.

Yeah lawyers get audited and have to keep records of all their charge sheets etc

Everyone else in the world gets Audited, have lawyers ever been, they've gotta be more currupt than a mid 90's Greyhound trainer.
Lawyers are obliged to give you a costs estimate up front and detail all of the avenues available to you to dispute their bill up front. When they bill you they are obliged to repeat that information and tell you who to contact and when if you want to dispute the bill.

In Victoria, even if the bill is exactly what you were quoted, you have 12 months within which to dispute it. If you dispute it, interest stops running.

So you can get told, fixed fee, $5k to do this contract for you. You get billed $5k. You pay it. 12 months later you can seek a review of the costs and potentially have it reduced and the lawyer will be required to refund the difference to you. That could be the case even if you were billed below the $5k.

Care to name another profession that gives that level of protection to clients/consumers with such issues? Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be that way given that the lawyer has an advantage over almost all client in terms of how the system works but these disclosure and dispute requirements have been in place for a long time now.

wide eyed and legless said:
you should also claim for the rare Gerry and the Pacemakers records that some ******* nicked while you were at the hospital getting stitched up. Good thinking about including the wheel chair photo that's worth a few more dollars.
I want this man as my solicitor!!

When you pick up your new batch of bottles, turn up wearing a full-face bike helmet, welding gloves and full length leather apron. Then proceed to answer any questions from other customers.

pedleyr said:
Lawyers are obliged to give you a costs estimate up front and detail all of the avenues available to you to dispute their bill up front. When they bill you they are obliged to repeat that information and tell you who to contact and when if you want to dispute the bill.

In Victoria, even if the bill is exactly what you were quoted, you have 12 months within which to dispute it. If you dispute it, interest stops running.

So you can get told, fixed fee, $5k to do this contract for you. You get billed $5k. You pay it. 12 months later you can seek a review of the costs and potentially have it reduced and the lawyer will be required to refund the difference to you. That could be the case even if you were billed below the $5k.

Care to name another profession that gives that level of protection to clients/consumers with such issues? Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be that way given that the lawyer has an advantage over almost all client in terms of how the system works but these disclosure and dispute requirements have been in place for a long time now.
Im guessing another lawyer is the one disputing for u :unsure:

goomboogo said:
When you pick up your new batch of bottles, turn up wearing a full-face bike helmet, welding gloves and full length leather apron. Then proceed to answer any questions from other customers.
Definitely do this, then youtube it :lol:

Take the free brew and then put one on the manager's desk as a "present" and ask him to leave it there for 6 months to condition before drinking. You'll quickly find out how well he trusts his processes!!

Take the whole batch after it's bottled at leave it on the counter...

But in all seriousness, that's a pretty poor result from the sounds of things if all you got offered was a replacement brew - Considering your injuries could have been (but thankfully weren't) a whole lot worse.

Latest posts

Back