Blood everywhere .. The bottle went BANG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, just checked. How closely did you read your cost agreement?

Contingency fees are prohibited
A law practice must not enter in a costs agreement under which the amount payable, or any part of that amount, is calculated by reference to the amount of any award or settlement or the value of any property that may be recovered in any proceedings to which the agreement relates.

http://www.lsb.vic.gov.au/legal-profession/working-under-the-act/cost-agreements/

As it says Liam a costs agreement is entered into by the client and the legal firm, 20% is the norm if the case is won.
I was with Advice Injury Lawyers, which is I believe Maurice Blackburn.

That's a cap on the total recovery, not the basis for a fee structure.

FYI my better half is a commercial litigation lawyer..

EDIT: I read it wrong - it's 25% of their ordinary rate - in order to cover their risk - not 25% of the 'payout'.

Also what I was referring to at the top of this post is (I'm pretty sure, can check) that there is a cap on the total fee of something like 50% of the 'payout'.

In Victoria, for example, the success fee is up to 25% which the Legal Profession Act 2004 allows us to charge in recognition of the risk involved and the additional expenses incurred by us in conducting your case on a "No win - No charge" basis. The success fee is not charged on expenses that you have paid during the course of your claim or that have been reimbursed by WorkCover or the TAC. The fee is not 25% of any damages you receive, it is a 25% increase on the legal costs due, ie for every $1000 in costs you would be charged an extra $250. We will be happy to explain the precise situation in each Australian jurisdiction or territory.

Believe me Liam 20% of payout is the charges you sign up for before they take on your case, I will have a look tomorrow for the paperwork, and it is not illegal for those charges.

In case you missed it the first time:
"Contingency fees are prohibited

A law practice must not enter in a costs agreement under which the amount payable, or any part of that amount, is calculated by reference to the amount of any award or settlement or the value of any property that may be recovered in any proceedings to which the agreement relates."
http://www.lsb.vic.gov.au/legal-profession/working-under-the-act/cost-agreements/
It couldn't be clearer. You may have been mislead into thinking that the uplift fee was based on your payout.

So.....With no win no fee.....If you do win it is possible that the amount you win may not be enough to cover your legal fee, so you will badically be out of pocket.

I allways thought it a bit strange how it gets advertised. Since lawyers start at roughly $300/hr, 2-3 days work on a $10,000 payout wont leave much left over

yeah quick sue bitches yippee dippy day ,

a ok
usa

have a cup of crete n shut the fuk up

Ducatiboy stu said:
So.....With no win no fee.....If you do win it is possible that the amount you win may not be enough to cover your legal fee, so you will badically be out of pocket.
For "no win no fee" in Qld the total fee can't be more than 50% of the settlement. Probably similar in other states.

northside novice said:
yeah quick sue bitches yippee dippy day ,

a ok
usa

have a cup of crete n shut the fuk up
Oddly enough, I made more sense from that than I usually do from an NN post. My English literature major is starting to pay off.

Just wondering, did you supply your own bottles, and were they purpose bought refillable bottles, or reused commercial bottles, many if which are not intended for refill?

Ducatiboy stu said:

I allways thought it a bit strange how it gets advertised. Since lawyers start at roughly $300/hr, 2-3 days work on a $10,000 payout wont leave much left over
Definitely not.

They cannot charge by %, but they throw big costs for each tiny little thing they do, like a staple is $6 and photocopying is $15/page. BUT, if your case only brings you say $15,000 they mostly charge u nothing, their charges are paid for by the company u are suing, its when u get a payout of say $150,000, they will charge the company u are suing say around 75%(because thats all they'll get) of their fee's and the rest comes outa your hit. Again they cannot charge by %%%%, but its easier to use to work out.

Then if you feel their bill ripped you off, you go see the costs Ombudsman (cannot think of the technical name), and they decide if $6 a staple and $15/page of photocopying is fair.

I quote the solictor i used 'I can charge you that, thats your fault you never went to University', he was s smart-arse like myself so i laughed, some may not have.

Dont worry. I am fully aware of what they charge. Having been thru a divorce anf forking out $20k I know all about the fees. Even walking into there office costs $80/15 mins

Back