Blood everywhere .. The bottle went BANG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are ok ...close call..could have lost an eye.\

I am a bit paranoid about bottle bombs, so use kegs mainly, but when I do my big beers and bottle (annual Robust porter / big begian etc) I bottle condition in a wooden cabinet for a week ($5 jobbie ..used to be an old paint store in a garage), then hold them in a chest freezer converted to a fridge till i drink. Cairns is always warm and I have found especially with bigger beers if you leave the bottles warm for a few months the fermentation can continue slowly and pressure build. Only had one blow in 5 years but f*** i was in bed at the other end of the house and it sounded like a gunshot...scary

get well soon!

So it is likely that Grainer's wounds are claimable on the insurance that the ubrew has to cover injuries sustained from the likelihood of negligence on their part, as long as Grainer followed the storage requisite laid out by the company.

wide eyed and legless said:
One question don't they filter the beer and it is force carbonated?
As I recall, they don't filter the beer, and it's force carbonated on its way into the bottle. They direct you to store them ALL in the fridge, I've had a few mates try and put them in a 'cool spot' like under the house in winter, and they've still eventually all popped their tops. My guess is, and it IS a guess, they don't worry at all about FG, just a week or so in the fermentation room, then over to the cold room until you come back to bottle.

You just fill your bottles from a tap, so I think it's not much different to a growler fill in terms of longevity. Keep 'em cold and drink 'em quick, or don't use UBrewIT....

Ubrew can ******* ushoveit.. What the he'll does that even mean? It may or may not be finished.

Hope you are armoured up to dispose of the rest of them mate, glad it wasn't too serious.

That's total crap from ubrew. Most food places don't like giving doggy bags as if it's not handled correctly, and someone gets crook they can be sued . How is this any different. What they don't own a hydrometer?

That's not acceptable at all, they need to be made aware of what's happened and a strongly worded letter from your legal advisor should be going their way.

Good to see you can at least smile and hopefully you won't suffer any ongoing issues.

Black Devil Dog said:
That's not acceptable at all, they need to be made aware of what's happened and a strongly worded letter from your legal advisor should be going their way.

Good to see you can at least smile and hopefully you won't suffer any ongoing issues.
Not when they say all bottles need fridge storage.
Shit place, shit system.

Grainer said:
Nah mate ... Crap beer from ubrewit.... NEVER AGAIN... They lost my business permanently !!!
Sue the pricks. Do they have a Facebook page? Post the photo. Explain why they are negligent c**ts

Liam, thier instructions are to store the beer in the fridge incase there is any yeast left. What do you propose they are sued for?>

Yeast won't cause the bottles to explode on their own though, bottling before complete ferment will, they have a duty of care to ensure this doesn't happen, a statement about yeast and filters doesn't cut it.

True that. Give it a go and let us all know.

indica86 said:
Liam, thier instructions are to store the beer in the fridge incase there is any yeast left. What do you propose they are sued for?>
Indica mate he should sue for whatever he can get providing instructions for storage were followed.

When I was bottling this morning I thought "screw it, I won't bother with a FG reading", then I thought, "I have to have a FG reading in case anything went wrong in the process and the beer is still above expected FG and could cause problems down the track".

Now, I am an amateur brewer and am likely to injure no one but myself if something should go wrong but I am not prepared to take the chance. Why would a "professional" outfit take chances like this, especially when they know that the average guy isn't going to store large amounts of beer at fridge temp.

One answer is money, where money is concerned short cuts are taken. In saying that I will be the first to say,"I never doubted ye" should the storage have been inappropriate.

Actually it looks like they do filter, this is taken from their "process page":

Step 5: Storage
After you get your beer home from U-Brew It, it needs to be kept cold in a fridge to avoid any re-fermentation should any yeast get through the filtration system. Because at U-Brew It, we do not add any chemicals or preservatives to guard against re-fermentation. This is a safe guard to protect your beer.
It's obvious yeast does get through, and I've heard so many stories of popped bottles it's clear they're bottling before FG is reached.

I remember they use plastic bag inserts in their fermenters, so that would be one reason they can't (easily) and therefore don't test gravity with a hydrometer to work out if fermentation is complete. The FV's don't have taps anyway.

I'm not sure a simple mention about refrigeration as above is enough to protect themselves from any liability if/when they pop. They could at least add, in a big bold colour/font, that not following their instructions regarding temp could lead to exploding bottles and possible injury.

Latest posts

Back