Blood everywhere .. The bottle went BANG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience what they say about the beer is that " it has no preservatives" so that's why it needs to be in the fridge.

I would talk to them, you might get a free brew! They don't want this to happen everyone who uses their equipment.

There is every chance they had some form of infection. UBrewIt stuff usually lasts if stored cold, but on the occasions I have used them anything stored at room temp is super fizzy, tastes like a wild yeast infection and gushes like you would not believe.

HOLY SHIAT BATMAN !! 4 more bottles just exploded (white bucket with lid .. just happened now).one just went off while writing this post. I can hear them going off !!! I am staying the hell away.. They are BOMBS !!! lucky 10 mins prior i transferred them to a sealed box to protect myself from them.... lucky they did not explode while I was transferring them..

The black box was in the shed for a few days and collected a lot of brew...I threw in a bag of ice to do the transfer to try make it a bit safer..

MEDICAL UPDATE: 3 internal stitches and 4 external stitches.. The glass penetrated throughout he skin, fat layers and down into the muscle..hurts like a biatch !! The doc reacons I'm scarred for life..!!!It was so loud, at first I thought I lost hearing in one ear.. it was like a gun shot in my ear...

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo5.JPG

Maybe fill the esky with water, hopefully it will catch some of the glass if they do pop and cool them down.
When mine went i filled the bucket they were in with water and popped the cap on each underwater, brew was cactus anyway so wasn't worried about sacrificing them to save more glass cleaning.

it's negligence on their part. It can still slowly ferment in the fridge if its under attenuated, so if left for long enough in a fridge it could still possibly go boom. I bulk primed a brew that was already cold conditioning and the fv had swollen a few weeks later. Poor practice and not a good business model at all

Riot gear or a motorbike helmet with leathers is needed here!

That sucks, mate, but glad it's not your face/eyes. Put the lid back on that box, wrap it tight in a couple of old doonas and shake the shit out it until they all explode. That is dangerous.

I just had a batch if bombs for the first time in possibly 10 years. Stable fg at 1.002 ( saison yeast oh yeah! ). Bottled and a few weeks later I heard one go. Wrap around safety glasses and riggers gloves and chilled them all and dumped. Even cold they were highly pressurised.

I never, ever trust bottled beer, and I'm very cautious. I think this got infected somehow, or I over carbed, though as I said, I'm very cautious with priming sugar etc.

Lucky you're ok mate, could have been much worse. Show those pics, especially the bloody ones, and the crates full of glass and beer to them.

Far out! Just saw this! Glad you are okay John.

Grainer said:
MEDICAL UPDATE: 3 internal stitches and 4 external stitches.. The glass penetrated throughout he skin, fat layers and down into the muscle..hurts like a biatch !! The doc reacons I'm scarred for life..!!!It was so loud, at first I thought I lost hearing in one ear.. it was like a gun shot in my ear...
Wow. Someone can be killed with this shit. Imagine if it was a little kid?

Bugger me! Where did you get hit? I was extremely lucky with my gash between my eyes.

plastic tubs are the best place to store the bottle bombs, next best is a milk crate with an old towel over it.

I can say is welcome to the glass bottle bomb club! (not that thats anything to be proud of...)

I suspect they over carb the beer to compensate for what you lose when you dribble it into the bottles from an ordinary tap.
Maybe this batch was a little bit too over carbed to start off with, and when it got warm , kapow.

Or possibly had Brett or similar bacteria in the air when bottling or the bottles weren't clean and sanitized before hand. Could be any number of reason why they are over carbed

Hey Grainer, I will bet you that he will offer you a voucher for you to go and brew another batch, keep focused it's the insurance company making a payout not him, claim for trauma (don't let on its the trauma of loosing the beer)you should also claim for the rare Gerry and the Pacemakers records that some ******* nicked while you were at the hospital getting stitched up. Good thinking about including the wheel chair photo that's worth a few more dollars.

Missed them today..will write a letter as well... see them tomorrow

Huntingdale ubrewit don't seem to care and have not responded in 2 days they just say I should have kept them in a fridge ..so I will be contacting a solicitor for advice... See what happens

Latest posts

Back