Blonde Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughyg

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I was looking to make a blonde ale to use up some Saaz and Cascade I have in the fridge for the wife. Does this look alright? Any stick out of place? I was going to add some honey for some interest, or should I admit it due to my more aromatic hop choice.
Cheers Hugh

Sarahs Blonde Odds'n'sods
6-B Blonde Ale
Author: HG
Date: 24/10/09

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 154.57 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.047 (1.038 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 10.62 (5.91 - 11.82)
Alcohol: 4.57% (3.8% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 23.7 (15.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
3.5 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.15 kg Melanoidin Malt
1 kg Wheat Malt Pale (Organic)
6 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
30 g Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
10 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
100 g Honey
30 g Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 21.11 C
Source Water: 15.56 C
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
mash @ 67C

I have been putting a few blonde ales together recently. It kind of depends how closely you want to go to the style guidelines.

Firstly, I would wind down the wheat by at least half, or leave out altogether. From my experience, anything over about 5% gives to much of a grainy, (wheaty) flavour, which I think detracts from the malt-orientation that the beer should have (according to the guidelines).

Secondly, I think your late hop additions will be out of style in terms of hop flavour and aroma, which should be subdued. For my tastes, a single bittering addition at 60min to about 18-20 IBUs, followed by a 2-6 IBU addition at 10 minutes would be good. At least, that's what I do for my blonde ales.

The last blonde ale I did was 50g Czech Saaz for 60 min, 20g Czech Saaz for 10 min. Next time I will replace the 10 min addition with 20g Cascade. (I am also trying to move a back-log of Saaz)

I have been putting a few blonde ales together recently. It kind of depends how closely you want to go to the style guidelines.

Firstly, I would wind down the wheat by at least half, or leave out altogether. From my experience, anything over about 5% gives to much of a grainy, (wheaty) flavour, which I think detracts from the malt-orientation that the beer should have (according to the guidelines).

Secondly, I think your late hop additions will be out of style in terms of hop flavour and aroma, which should be subdued. For my tastes, a single bittering addition at 60min to about 18-20 IBUs, followed by a 2-6 IBU addition at 10 minutes would be good. At least, that's what I do for my blonde ales.

The last blonde ale I did was 50g Czech Saaz for 60 min, 20g Czech Saaz for 10 min. Next time I will replace the 10 min addition with 20g Cascade. (I am also trying to move a back-log of Saaz)

THanks for the tips. I'll make some of adjustments. I thought it might be too much aroma hops. Heading towards APA land.
Cheers
Hugh

Here's a revised version? Does it look ok?

Sarahs Honey Blonde Odds'n'sods
6-B Blonde Ale

Calories: 134.27 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.041 (1.038 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 9.7 (5.91 - 11.82)
Alcohol: 3.97% (3.8% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 21.1 (15.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
3.8 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.15 kg Melanoidin Malt
30 g Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
20 g Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
150 g Honey
1 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Schedule:

Notes
mash @ 67C

IMO I think your bitterness could do with some more cutting back, somewhere between 15-20IBUs. The bitterness is really just there to back up a light malty flavour, if it's noticeable to any real degree then it's a little high.

I think your recipe looks fine and I personally prefer the simplicity of just a couple of grain types and a couple of hop additions. That said, I've never used melanoidin and honey isn't really my thing. Hope it all goes well - I'll be interested in the results.

Hmm, I think that melanoidin might push your colour a bit too dark for the style. IMO simple is best. Here's my recipe for the blonde I have on tap now, and I'm personally loving it-

50L batch

9.5kg Pale malt
1kg Wheat malt

EK Goldings 20g/60
Czech saaz 70/60
Czech saaz 40/5

Wyeast 1099

OG 1.049
23.8IBUs

It's a little bitter for the style (which is why I recommended perhaps cutting below 20IBUs), bit I'm liking what it's doing.

I'm not telling you what to do, just including what I did recently to show what I did recently.

A few more changing. Ive reduced the Melanoidin and reduced the ibus. Think I happy with it a might give it a go
Sarahs Crispy Clean Odds'n'sods Blonde
6-B Blonde Ale

Calories: 147.97 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.045 (1.038 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 9.45 (5.91 - 11.82)
Alcohol: 4.38% (3.8% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 21.1 (15.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
4.2 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.10 kg Melanoidin Malt
30 g Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
20 g Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
200 g Honey
1 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 tsp Isinglass finings - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 tsp Polyclar - added dry to secondary fermenter

Schedule:

Notes
Single infusion mash @ 66C
1 tsp Isinglass to secondary, settle for two days @ 2C, then gently stir in polyclar and filter

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Hmm, I think that melanoidin might push your colour a bit too dark for the style. IMO simple is best. Here's my recipe for the blonde I have on tap now, and I'm personally loving it-

50L batch

9.5kg Pale malt
1kg Wheat malt

EK Goldings 20g/60
Czech saaz 70/60
Czech saaz 40/5

Wyeast 1099

OG 1.049
23.8IBUs

It's a little bitter for the style (which is why I recommended perhaps cutting below 20IBUs), bit I'm liking what it's doing.

I'm not telling you what to do, just including what I did recently to show what I did recently.

Hi P&C

Looks like a good recipe for that style but I was wondering about the choice of yeast.
No way am I being critical but I would have imagined that 1056 or 1272 may have been the go.
I have fiddled with this style for ages and I might give your recipe a try.
I agree with your comments on the melanoiden (sp)
I also agree with your comments on bittering as I cant seem to get this beer tasting anything but tooooooo! sweet with the recommended ibu. maybe the 1099 dries it out enough??

I'll keep fiddling!

Cheers

Hi P&C

Looks like a good recipe for that style but I was wondering about the choice of yeast.
No way am I being critical but I would have imagined that 1056 or 1272 may have been the go.
I have fiddled with this style for ages and I might give your recipe a try.
I agree with your comments on the melanoiden (sp)
I also agree with your comments on bittering as I cant seem to get this beer tasting anything but tooooooo! sweet with the recommended ibu. maybe the 1099 dries it out enough??

I'll keep fiddling!

Cheers

What do you mean by "toooo sweet" with the recommended ibu? Wouldn't a higher ibu balance out the sweetness? I think the guidelines for the IBU are 15-28 so I thought 21 might be alright for the wife. She doesnt like my bitter beers I make for myself :(

I might sub the Melanoidin it for some wheat.

Recommending someone to cut a recipe back by 1.1 IBU is silliness. Your recipe looks to be compatible with the guidelines, so the rest comes down to personal taste.

Major points being to keep the beer in balance (which will not hinge on 1.1IBU), subdued hopping and a simple starting recipe will allow you to tailor the beer to your (or your wife's) tastes over time. I also aim for a mash temp of 65C to lighten the body, but then again, your honey will dry the beer out somewhat.

Swapping the melanoidin with wheat is possibly a good idea.

Latest posts

Back