Black Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thinking of toasting about 300gm of golden naked oats also, ever tried this ?

As far as i can tell, golden naked oats is crystal malt made from oats rather than barley - if this is right I wouldn't toast it.

On the other hand, i followed Jamil's recipe for oatmeal stout and toasted 450g of Uncle Toby's rolled oats (actually did it by stirring them arounm in my wok rather than in an oven, kept stirring till they turned light brown and smelled biscuity). Its only been in the bottle 3 weeks and I want to leave it for the upcoming Stout competition, but I had a preview on the weekend - still needs more conditioning but very promising, thick and velvety just like Sam Smith's OS.

If you have time to order before your day off, try putting a shedload of Caraaroma in, say 300g, instead of the RB. That will give you red like you wouldn't believe, and fantastic malt character.
:icon_offtopic: Bribie, is your recipe in the data base? If not, can you post here? Been trying to get an irish red going for a while, but they always finish up too dark - too much RB - but still tasty and they get drunk quickly enough. The commercial ones I've seen lately are more brown than red, from your comments, you seem to have got the recipe down pat.

Thanks

As far as i can tell, golden naked oats is crystal malt made from oats rather than barley - if this is right I wouldn't toast it.

golden naked oats

hmm maybe... Ross ?

too late now anyway, it's in the cube chilling in the pool :icon_cheers:
cheers

golden naked oats

hmm maybe... Ross ?

too late now anyway, it's in the cube chilling in the pool :icon_cheers:
cheers
Quote from above link:

"Golden Naked Oats will deliver a deep golden hue with light caramel flavors"

Doesn't sound like rolled oats. Does sound like crystal malted oats. Will await Ross's views.

Quote from above link:

"Golden Naked Oats will deliver a deep golden hue with light caramel flavors"

Doesn't sound like rolled oats. Does sound like crystal malted oats. Will await Ross's views.
Why wait for Ross - straight from the horses mouth

http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/jps.asp

"Huskless oat crystal malt. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference."

Why wait for Ross - straight from the horses mouth

http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/jps.asp

"Huskless oat crystal malt. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference."

cheers hazard, you learn something every day :icon_cheers:

lucky i showed some restraint compared to the original recipe then and only used 250gm, bloody interested to see how this one turns out now, maybe if there is any acrid/burnt from the black this may balance it somehow, i'm not too concerned at only 1% black though.

Dave

lucky i showed some restraint compared to the original recipe then and only used 250gm, bloody interested to see how this one turns out now, maybe if there is any acrid/burnt from the black this may balance it somehow, i'm not too concerned at only 1% black though.

Dave
A Dave I know in Greensborough uses Golden Naked oats in his bitter instead of regular crystal (I think he uses Simpsons aromatic malt as well ... say, where is your shed? Is this just a coincidence?

Anyway, its a very tasty ale, the Golden naked oats add another element that is well worthwhile - don't know if they need toasting though!!

Dave

I will be interested to see if you can pick any difference Dave, as I said earlier, I've just done a stout with 650g of black malt and it is smooth as.

-BD

A Dave I know in Greensborough uses Golden Naked oats in his bitter instead of regular crystal (I think he uses Simpsons aromatic malt as well ... say, where is your shed? Is this just a coincidence?

Anyway, its a very tasty ale, the Golden naked oats add another element that is well worthwhile - don't know if they need toasting though!!

nope, not me mate

I will be interested to see if you can pick any difference Dave, as I said earlier, I've just done a stout with 650g of black malt and it is smooth as.

-BD

shit mate, i'm lucky to able to pick the diff between a kolsch and an IPA, a BJCP judge I'll never be :icon_cheers:

like I said, I don't think i've got anything to worry about with this brew at 1% Black, you must be up around the 9% mark are you ?

cheers

Dave

Are you people just supposing or talking from experience here? I've just done an American Stout that has 650g of black malt and is 70 IBUs, it tastes neither acrid nor ashy.

cheers

Browndog

Tony, what was the size/L of that batch. I reckon 2:1 for RB:Black so for a double batch (42L) a minimum of 1kg RB + .5kg Black works well . Although I do also add oats as well , the amounts of oats depends on the type of stout. And oh also oats can work well in a Red and also Bitters.

Cheers

Close Yardy, 8.67% to be exact. Brad, that is for 24L mate, there is a fair whack of crystal and a bit of carapils in it so that may be killing off any of the unpleasant flavours the guys are talking about. I'll bring a bottle to the next BABBs meeting and get you opinion.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back