Black Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
g'day brewers, i'm planning another irish red and a stout for my days off but i don't have any RB, can black malt be used in the same ratio as RB or should it be 'backed off' a little ?

for instance in my irish i use about 110gm of RB, would the same qty of black malt be overpowering ?

cheers

Dave

The flavour might be different, but i don't think you'll ruin your beers. You might like them. Im a fan of black, but not a fan of RB.

g'day brewers, i'm planning another irish red and a stout for my days off but i don't have any RB, can black malt be used in the same ratio as RB or should it be 'backed off' a little ?

for instance in my irish i use about 110gm of RB, would the same qty of black malt be overpowering ?

cheers

Dave

Yard,

RB gives a.............. well.......... roasted flavour and black contributes colour and is designed to be used in small amounts for colour adjustment. I guess if used in large amounts it would contribute flavour, maybe chew some of each and get an idea if subbing would work. I think RB is roasted malted barley and Black is roasted unmalted barley. You might miss that roastie flavour......or not, for my red I add the RB for only the last 15 min of the mash for colour with less roast flavour as I prefer not to have this in my red ale. Have swapped dark malts before by noting the colour in the recipe in beersmith, then using the replace button I change the grain. Then again check the colour and adjust the amount to reach the same colour in Beersmith.

Hope this helps,

Screwy

I think RB is roasted malted barley and Black is roasted unmalted

I think its the other way around. Could be wrong though

The flavour might be different, but i don't think you'll ruin your beers. You might like them. Im a fan of black, but not a fan of RB.

Yard,

RB gives a.............. well.......... roasted flavour and black contributes colour and is designed to be used in small amounts for colour adjustment. I guess if used in large amounts it would contribute flavour, maybe chew some of each and get an idea if subbing would work. I think RB is roasted malted barley and Black is roasted unmalted barley. You might miss that roastie flavour......or not, for my red I add the RB for only the last 15 min of the mash for colour with less roast flavour as I prefer not to have this in my red ale. Have swapped dark malts before by noting the colour in the recipe in beersmith, then using the replace button I change the grain. Then again check the colour and adjust the amount to reach the same colour in Beersmith.

Hope this helps,

Screwy

g'day fellas, thanks for the replies, guess i'll just suck it and see, in the stout it'll be OK but maybe I'll show some restraint with it in the oirish.
@ screwy, thanks for the beersmith tips, btw the CB site quotes the RB as unmalted (Bairds)

cheers

Dave

Unfortunatly you cant use black malt like RB...

It will impart a burnt ashy taste

If you have time to order before your day off, try putting a shedload of Caraaroma in, say 300g, instead of the RB. That will give you red like you wouldn't believe, and fantastic malt character.

My understanding is that RB is roasted unmalted barley and in my experience it imparts a coffee characteristic. I've used up to 500g in a single batch stout with no harshness or astringency. Black malt is highly roasted malted barley and has a much stronger presence. I use around 100-150g in the same stout and wouldn't go much more.

Obviously your mileage may differ but I don't see one being a replacement for the other either flavour wise or pound for pound.

g'day fellas, thanks for the replies, guess i'll just suck it and see, in the stout it'll be OK but maybe I'll show some restraint with it in the oirish.
@ screwy, thanks for the beersmith tips, btw the CB site quotes the RB as unmalted (Bairds)

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was 100% wrong, just had a google around and found this on HomeBrewTalk.com

Yes, very big differences.
Black Patent is malted and it's main flavor note is best described as charcoal.
Roasted barley is not malted first and gives stouts their coffee-like flavor.

Roast Barley and Black Malt................. guess it's self explanatory eh! :(

Screwy

My understanding is that RB is roasted unmalted barley and in my experience it imparts a coffee characteristic. I've used up to 500g in a single batch stout with no harshness or astringency. Black malt is highly roasted malted barley and has a much stronger presence. I use around 100-150g in the same stout and wouldn't go much more.

Obviously your mileage may differ but I don't see one being a replacement for the other either flavour wise or pound for pound.

cheers manticle, just having a go at a recipe now by picking through the stout section in brewing classic styles, I'd thought about 100gm would be the maximum i'd go although Jamil does use over 9% Black patent in a sweet stout (i'm assuming balck patent is the same as black).

Thanks Dave, I was 100% wrong, just had a google around and found this on HomeBrewTalk.com

Roast Barley and Black Malt................. guess it's self explanatory eh! :(

Screwy

cheers screwy, like i said above, 100gm will be the maximum with some choc malt in there as well, thinking of toasting about 300gm of golden naked oats also, ever tried this ?

cheers

Dave

Toasted rolled oats in my one and only oatmeal stout. Worthwhile I think - would definitely do again.

I'd thought about 100gm would be the maximum i'd go although Jamil does use over 9% Black patent in a sweet stout (i'm assuming balck patent is the same as black).

:icon_offtopic: That sweet stout recipe is on my list of brews to make, and after reading this thread 450gm (7.5%) of black malt worries me a little :unsure: . Though he does specify 525 SRM/1000 EBC which I can't find in aus, only ~1300.

g'day brewers, i'm planning another irish red and a stout for my days off but i don't have any RB

after all this the wife reminds me that i have .500 roast fcuking barley in the fridge that came while i was away at work.. :lol:

oh well, learnt something about black malt and it's all milled up ready for an early start tomorrow..

cheers

cheers screwy, like i said above, 100gm will be the maximum with some choc malt in there as well, thinking of toasting about 300gm of golden naked oats also, ever tried this ?

cheers

Dave

Never Dave........

It's on the ever growing todo list

after all this the wife reminds me that i have .500 roast fcuking barley in the fridge that came while i was away at work.. :lol:

oh well, learnt something about black malt and it's all milled up ready for an early start tomorrow..

cheers

:lol: :lol:

I think RB is roasted malted barley and Black is roasted unmalted
I think its the other way around. Could be wrong though

Spot on

Unfortunatly you cant use black malt like RB...
It will impart a burnt ashy taste

Spot on.

To me, Black Malt, Patent Malt (same thing) gives an ashy acrid note to beers. I wouldnt use it as a replacement for roast barley in a red personally, but if i was using it for small colour adjustment only(<.5% grist), maybe.

I use it at the last 15 mins of the mash. No acrid harshness, but yummy roasty flavour. Been doing it for a while with all dark malts ( except RB, but maybe i should try ), and love the flavours.

Are you people just supposing or talking from experience here? I've just done an American Stout that has 650g of black malt and is 70 IBUs, it tastes neither acrid nor ashy.

cheers

Browndog

Extrapolating from the amounts that I have used and the characteristic it's given to the brew. Never used a cup of salt in a stew but I have no need to try it.

Obviously if it works for you in your recipe then that's great. I'm guessing your brew balances out in some other way.

It's still not a 1:1 replacement for roasted barley though - the flavours are different.

Are you people just supposing or talking from experience here? I've just done an American Stout that has 650g of black malt and is 70 IBUs, it tastes neither acrid nor ashy.
cheers
Browndog

Experience, although i havnt used it for over 12 months due to the results ive had not being to 'my palate'. Highest ive gone was 5% in a Robust porter, quite OTT from what i found.

Latest posts

Back