Bittering With Flavour Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross,
I think that a lot of hop aroma is lost during the ferment. I have been down the path of huge late additions. Didn't seem to help. Only thing that seems to give long lasting aroma is hop plugs. They have always caused me stuck run-offs so I have given up on aroma. I think you have to add it post-ferment. Apart from dry hopping I don't know how.
cheers
Darren

My APA is dry hopped with Amarillo which I think works nicely. I think you get the added aroma and flavour without having all the hop debris in your kettle.

APA is certainly a style that compliments dry hopping. I was trying to get hop aroma in a pils. Dry hops are just too grassy in pils

Ross said:
My APA was marked down in the Nationals for lack of hop aroma/flavour - I think this was mainly down to my bad storage technique for the bottles, having read recently that considerable aroma is lost through warm storage within a very short period.
This is one way of hopefully putting the balance back in my favour... :)
[post="87698"][/post]​
Ross IIRC the aussie guidelines use the term "aggressive hop aroma". As far as I can tell this is over the top. The quintessential APA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has a nice hop aroma but well balanced with malt. I would suggest many local judges of APA have never tasted an SNPA in their life. Unfortunately, the style guidelines lead them astray.

Darren said:
Ross,
I think that a lot of hop aroma is lost during the ferment. I have been down the path of huge late additions. Didn't seem to help. Only thing that seems to give long lasting aroma is hop plugs. They have always caused me stuck run-offs so I have given up on aroma. I think you have to add it post-ferment. Apart from dry hopping I don't know how.
cheers
Darren
[post="87730"][/post]​

I tend to agree - I will certainly be dry hopping - but not making a call until I taste it before secondary... Usually dry hop with approx 50 gms...

Also, good carbonation levels are essential for hop aroma. Very difficult to do bottling from a keg

Darren said:
Also, good carbonation levels are essential for hop aroma. Very difficult to do bottling from a keg
[post="87748"][/post]​

Lucky I'm bottle priming then ;-)...

Latest posts

Back