Bittering after kegging.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed a lager using my home grown POR hops as the only hops in the brew. All added as First wort addition.

Unfortunately I massively over estimated the AA % of my hops and as such the beer completely lacks balance between bitterness and sweetness.

There's quite a bit of information about adding bitterness by using hop extract, but I would rather try and use some of the commercial POR pellets that i already have in my freezer.

Maybe do a nano batch and boil the hops for 60 minutes then add that to my beer. :ph34r:

Another idea is to use a noble hop instead of POR

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when you get your hop tea, add it to a single glass of beer (use a graduated eye dropper) until you get the quantity right then scale the amount up to suit a keg (if that is what you are using). Sorry if I am stating the bleeding bloody obvious but worth saying just in case.

Can we get some more traction on that link? How have I not read this yet? This needs to be looked into further...

Does anyone know how this would be used in AG? In the link it says to run water through it to strain the hops, is this your sparge water? Or do you strain your wort through it as you pour it into the fermenter? I got more clarification from the comments section, but I still need a few things cleared up...

This really helps as it means for brewing, 15-30 minute boil required now. 20 minute boil is now optimal.
I do 60min bittering additions then 5 min flavour/aroma additions only, so this method works out really well for me (pressure cooker pending, of course)

For more clarification, lets do the side-by-side comparison. I know it's there in the table, pressure cooker vs stove-top traditional 60min boil; but here it is laid out clearly in a real world example.

In the comments section someone asks for a run-down on the calculations.
They ask for 6gal @ 40 IBU beer.
The result is 0.5ou of a 13%AA hop needed to do the job.
6gal = 22L
0.5ou = 14.17 grams

So I punch that into Brewsmith:
22L
14.17g Chinook (13%AA) @ 60min

= 13.7 IBU

That's more than double efficiency of hops.

Latest posts

Back