Biofine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone found their bottle of Biofine separates? I used mine this morning and the bottom half of the bottle has crystals in it, similar to undissolved salt or sugar. I have had it stored in the fridge rather than the warm shed, now back to room temperature and after shaking like mad still separates??
I'm hoping it still performs, I'll know in a couple of days I guess.

Anyone else found their bottle like this?

I found this, mine was in the fridge not the freezer. Seems like mine is now useless, warning keep it out of the fridge.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=459547

Regards the posts by me above,
rsz_dscf7951.jpg

This shows the separation of my Biofine. Yes just a little pissed, racked 100lt of brews into 4 fermenters this morning for shit. Not to mention an almost full 250ml bottle of Biofine for the the bin.

That sucks.

You'd think a nice "Do not refrigerate" on the label wouldn't be a difficult task

That sucks.

You'd think a nice "Do not refrigerate" on the label wouldn't be a difficult task

I have contacted the HBS I bought it from an made this suggestion. It's a newer addition to most retailers so I guess this was not well known before?

I feel for you Batz.
I got 2 lagers in the keezer now both with Bio, and yes it works quicker than Gel but it still stirs up just as much if you move/ bump the keg. So I'm not really overly impressed so far. Moving forward, I got 2 ales fermenting ATM, both the same. I will bio 1 and gel the other. However, if I see the bottle of bio separate or anything suss, it's in the bin and straight back to Gel.

Hi Batz, we have been using Biofine Clear for a couple of years now and we have always stored ours in the coldroom and have not had any issues with separation so far. It has always been effective using it straight from the coldroom. In fact I have personally found it to be such a good product that I have stopped filtering and am getting beers as bright as those that were filtered and polyclared. Just checked with our supplier and the spec sheet has a recommended storage temp of 5-32 Deg C but do not allow it to freeze. Hopefully the beers you racked will still be ok. I guess time will tell.

Hi Batz, we have been using Biofine Clear for a couple of years now and we have always stored ours in the coldroom and have not had any issues with separation so far. It has always been effective using it straight from the coldroom. In fact I have personally found it to be such a good product that I have stopped filtering and am getting beers as bright as those that were filtered and polyclared. Just checked with our supplier and the spec sheet has a recommended storage temp of 5-32 Deg C but do not allow it to freeze. Hopefully the beers you racked will still be ok. I guess time will tell.

Thanks mate, and the Biofine that I bought from you was also in the fridge and did not separate? I love the stuff and will not filter again, I do rack and add biofine to stop any stirring up or sludge in the keg. Up until now it's been great
Mothballs....put it into larger size containers, that's why I changed suppliers. Silly me:(:(

I feel for you Batz.
I got 2 lagers in the keezer now both with Bio, and yes it works quicker than Gel but it still stirs up just as much if you move/ bump the keg. So I'm not really overly impressed so far. Moving forward, I got 2 ales fermenting ATM, both the same. I will bio 1 and gel the other. However, if I see the bottle of bio separate or anything suss, it's in the bin and straight back to Gel.

To get the full advantage you need to rack, my kegs are crystal clear to the last beer. Shake them up if you like, still clear azz.
I just may have been sold an inferior product.

Well I added some extra dry hop to half a keg for a bit of extra kick . But the hop sock must have been to course so now my brew ilooks like a NEIPA . So I have added some biofine and gave her a shake so see if she can clear this unsitely brew. It might need a few days I think. Also I have noticed crystals around the top of my little bottle but no seperation that I can tell

Bump for the afternoon brewers, read back a few threads.
Don't refrigerate your Biofine.

Maybe it was just too cold Batz.
We store ours in our 8-10C keg room.
Checked it yesterday and it's fine.
Previous drum had some sediment in the last litre, but that would've just been precipitates - this one was stored in the office @ 10-30C

Maybe it was just too cold Batz.
We store ours in our 8-10C keg room.
Checked it yesterday and it's fine.
Previous drum had some sediment in the last litre, but that would've just been precipitates - this one was stored in the office @ 10-30C

It would seem that way, funny part is the fridge also holds my yeast bank and none or those have ever frozen.
Anyway done now, Biofine is in the bin. I will be ordering some more shortly.

Batz

I know you're asking for his, but mine is 100% Vienna malt, either triple decocted or with a touch of melanoidin, Hersbrucker Hersbrucker at 60 for 25 IBU's. Just drinkable as shit. Got that from the guy with the Dopethrone cover as his Avatar, IIRC.

I know you're asking for his, but mine is 100% Vienna malt, either triple decocted or with a touch of melanoidin, Hersbrucker Hersbrucker at 60 for 25 IBU's. Just drinkable as shit. Got that from the guy with the Dopethrone cover as his Avatar, IIRC.
Mate if it's good enough for you it's sure as hell good enough for me. I have excess Vienna Malt and a couple liquid lager yeasts to use.. Just found their purpose!

Latest posts

Back