Biofine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loving biofine alot less mucking around than gelatine , am suprised at the amount of muck that comes out on the last half a schooner when a keg blows

Me too, freaked me out a bit. I had to flush the beer lines straight away, I didn't want that crap sitting in them and the taps.

Pondering this approach, very similar to Bribie's method above:
CC in FV at 0°
Purge corny keg with CO2 through beer out post to avoid stratified Biofine
Also yeast in FV remains unadulterated.

Just to confirm, Biofine/Brausol/Silicasol is best added to the FV. As soon as it goes on Chill

This affects the yeast and will bomb everything out.You then take off to the keg or racking tank and away you go.

This is not meant to be a ‘fined to keg’ sorta deal. It was actually designed to be used in fv prior to the beer running thru DE/Kessiegur filters to improve run lengths. That is, running 1200hl thru a filter that would normally do 600hl.

Scotty

OK, thanks Scotty.
Occurred to me as a brainwave in the middle of the night that the cask widge beer out is also a bit iffy for CO2 purge, probably won't be very effective floating on the surface, while I'm also a serial slurry repitcher, so rethinking.

So for pressure ferment release pressure
Take lid off & add biofine
Put lid back on & purge with co2 in the out post to stir biofine
Crash chill then rack to serving keg
Hows that process sound

Hows that process sound
Get it as cold as possible first ideally 0c.

Hows that process sound
I'd mix with 100ml of pre boiled water in pet bottle with carb cap over pressure the pet, then hook up to the gas in on the fermenter, and pull the prv, no exposure to air.

Why wouldn't you inject the liquid in via the "liquid out post" so that it goes to the bottom of the FV and then purge additional co2 through the out post to mix it all up.
Then wait for around 12/24 hours at 0c before racking to serving vessel (assuming dip tube has been shortened) and thereby leaving most/all sediment behind

Wobbly

If using a fermentasaurus, the beer out line floats on top.

there is some mention in the instructions for breweries that it needs to be mixed really well and they suggest adding to the bright tank on filling.

from the hoppy days website (pretty sure I have read it elsewhere from the manufacturer)

Biofine Clear is extremely rapid acting and optimally added on transfer to the aging tank for optimal dispersion in the beer. Direct addition can be to the aging tank, however, emphasis must be placed on good dispersion, i.e. multiple addition points and a good CO2 purge to minimize stratification.

Application rates should be determined by brewery scale trials.

Well I racked a lager into secondary today and added Biofine, up until now I have added it to the keg. It was in CC for 3 days, I'll leave it another 4-5 days and keg.
I would like to see less of the muck in the first and last glasses.

Batz

I've caught up on the brewing and have two cornies in a spare kegmate at 4 degrees. My quick and dirty solution is after a week, run off the muck then return to cold storage / ageing. I'll be interested to see how it goes when the kegs blow.

Thanks Coodgee, that is precisely where I sourced my info from too, viz. stratification.

Well I racked a lager into secondary today and added Biofine, up until now I have added it to the keg. It was in CC for 3 days, I'll leave it another 4-5 days and keg.
I would like to see less of the muck in the first and last glasses.

Batz

Well I kegged this yesterday and as above, no biofine in the keg just in secondary. This is the very first glass poured, no muck what so ever. The beer is crystal clear, it looks even better than the photo in real life.
This will be my CBP using Biofine.

No more keg mud.

Batz

rsz_111.jpg

How long did you have the biofine in before kegging, batz?

4 days. I looked into the fermenter and could see it was already clear azz.

Batz how did you add without O2 introduction?

I usually keep the FVs tight as a fishes till kegging.

Batz how did you add without O2 introduction?

I usually keep the FVs tight as a fishes till kegging.

I just racked as per usual, no C02 introduction. You could purge the receiving FV I guess.
You have your system there and by the sounds of it racking to secondary won't fit into it well.;)

I'll be racking my Munich Dunkel in the next few days. I'm even going to rack an IPA heavily cubed hopped to see what happens.

Last edited:
I just racked as per usual, no C02 introduction. You could purge the receiving FV I guess.
You have your system there and by the sounds of it racking to secondary won't fit into it well.;)

I'll be racking my Munich Dunkel in the next few days. I'm even going to rack an IPA heavily cubed hopped to see what happens.

Do you think it would work well if I add to primary fermenter?
Currently add to keg & it works amazingly well. Haven't blown a keg yet to see whether the last half pint is as muddy as the first half pint

Back