Bigger Sodastream Bottles At Big W

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really need a 6kg bottle? How much beer are you drinking?

Go for the 2.6kg ... they can be had for $180 with refills (or swap n go) costing $25

In my case it's portability and the inability to get $200 odd through the minister of finance. It is more expensive in the long run.

Thanks mate! much appreciate it. That will still fit in the older style sodastream and I'm sure the thread is the same so will be a good changeover. Will sus out the local Kmart and turn on the charm;)

It does seem a little strange that they would up the size, as, in the last 5 months they launched a new design and having adds on tv, heaps of new stock in store, and $40 I think for a carbonator with with 40L cartridge and 1 bottle! I am sure they were based around the 40L ones. As you say, might be best to get in early and plead 'I really need it now - pretty please darl!' incase they start refusing 40L exchange all together and make us buy new ones.

I just got one of these larger sodastream bottles today but I can't get it screwed in far enough for the valve to be engaged and for CO2 to flow into the regulator. Has anyone else had this problem? I have used the smaller bottles a number of times without any problems.

Cheers

ToG

I just got one of these larger sodastream bottles today but I can't get it screwed in far enough for the valve to be engaged and for CO2 to flow into the regulator. Has anyone else had this problem? I have used the smaller bottles a number of times without any problems.

Cheers

ToG

Sure have and I still have the bottle sitting around taking up space. When I posted on here about it no one had really experienced it form memory. It has driven me nuts and has been a waste of $$$. I am hoping someone has a solution.

Sure have and I still have the bottle sitting around taking up space. When I posted on here about it no one had really experienced it form memory. It has driven me nuts and has been a waste of $$$. I am hoping someone has a solution.
Achy
Bugger! I suspect that the washer that came with the adaptor is a fraction too thick so I might try to find a smaller one and give that a go. But what a pain in the proverbial.

ToG

I've got a yellow poly washer and the bigger bottles need to be screwed in harder than the smaller ones but it still seals. I bought a smaller rubber o ring from craft brewer for when the poly one wears out. Will see how that goes.

Cheers

ToG

The adapter I have came with 2 rubber washers insitu. Of the 2 soda stream bottle I have used, I had to remove one of the washers to make it connect.

The adapter I have came with 2 rubber washers insitu. Of the 2 soda stream bottle I have used, I had to remove one of the washers to make it connect.
Hmmm. I'll have a dig about in the adapter tomorrow and see what I can find. But I'm pretty sure that there's only the one little black rubber washer in there.

Sorry for hi-jacking an old thread here but I am looking at putting together a party keg setup with the 60L sized sodastream and have read that they changed the thread on it? Will the adapters that Ross and other LHBS sell fit on these bigger bottles? It seems the guys in the few posts above this one were having some issues with making a proper seal.

some kmart stores have a value pack 2 for $50 on the 60 litre

Yep it's a buy one get one free. I bought one on the weekend, was only available at the front counter.

Great deal.

Same thread as the 40L ones. I used it with my existing adapter with no issues.

I used it with my existing adapter with no issues.

Really? Is it the adaptor from CB? I cant get mine to depress the little valve on top of the bottle. I normally only need to hand tighten with the 40L bottles, maybe I need to use some spanners?

Cheers

When I was using my adaptor I had to tighten with two spanners stupidly hard to get it to engage. That and the leaking supplied o-ring has made me look elsewhere for my party kegging needs....

Cheers

Mark, interested as well to hear if it really worked out for you. Looking at a portable gas setup at the moment and the 241 sounds like a good deal if it works.

Yep it's a buy one get one free. I bought one on the weekend, was only available at the front counter.

Great deal.

Same thread as the 40L ones. I used it with my existing adapter with no issues.

304183_10150453559259560_552184559_8198320_356343954_n.jpg

Mark, interested as well to hear if it really worked out for you. Looking at a portable gas setup at the moment and the 241 sounds like a good deal if it works.

Yes it really worked for me.

I think my adapter was one of the cheap ones from Ebay. Looks exactly like the picture on the craft brewer website. It came with two plastic seals, however I've only ever used one of them. I tighten with two spanners (one on the reg, one on the adapter) as I believe this is good practise whenever working with co2 anyway.

I didn't even foresee any issues, I just attached the reg to the adapter, then the bottle to the adapter, then hooked it up to my kegs and it's been sitting there for a week now with beer pouring and no co2 leaking.

I have a spare 60L and 40L bottle so I can compare threads etc if needed though I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same.

Unfortunately it would appear there are some slight changes with the new bottles & the pin now needs to be longer to depress.
All sodastream adapotors now come with an adjustable pin to make them future proof.

cheers Ross

Back