Bigger Sodastream Bottles At Big W

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melvy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I exchanged my 40L sodastream bottle during the week and the nice ol duck behind the counter told me they were only doing 60L bottles now and that she was supposed to only give me an exchange if I had a 60. She gave it to me anyway because obviously not many people would have the bigger size. Suits me as the bigger the bottle the better I reckon. Only thing is I've got another 40 so not sure if this is just big dub or if k mart is doing it too. Anyone else have this happen?

Melvy,

Never had a soda stream, but aren't they small gas bottles? What does the 40 & 60L refer to?

Fear_n_Loath

It's the "make's up to" size on the bottle. 40l = 330 gms and 60l = 400gms of co2

I have 2 40L ones, can you post a pic of the 60L with diameter and length please. Seems I need to exchange them soon!

Same length as the 40 but the diameter is an extra cm (6). Cost me about 18 bucks for the swap as opposed to about 12 with the 40.

1305898662875.jpg

Thanks mate! much appreciate it. That will still fit in the older style sodastream and I'm sure the thread is the same so will be a good changeover. Will sus out the local Kmart and turn on the charm;)

It does seem a little strange that they would up the size, as, in the last 5 months they launched a new design and having adds on tv, heaps of new stock in store, and $40 I think for a carbonator with with 40L cartridge and 1 bottle! I am sure they were based around the 40L ones. As you say, might be best to get in early and plead 'I really need it now - pretty please darl!' incase they start refusing 40L exchange all together and make us buy new ones.

No worries. Let me know how you go. Am interested to see if Kmart are changing as well.

Something isnt right with the calculations:

400g / 330 g = 1.212 so a 21% increase in CO2

60L / 40L = 1.5 so they are claiming that a 21% increase in CO2 volume results in 50% more carbonated beverage?!?

Will do some proper gas law calcs and update post soon.

Didn't edit in time

So they are charging 50% more for 21% more CO2. Will need more price comparasins to get accross the board spreads - my exchanges used to be almost $14 from memory.

I did the calcs based on ideal gas laws, but these basic figures are the most telling.

The 400g cylinder will only carbonate 21% more beer than the 330 g cylinder, not the 50% more as they claim.

Been wanting to get this sort of set-up for a while.
Just checked out Craftbrewer, (top of page) for the adaptors tro attach a regulator to the sodastream gas bottle but, it says that they are "temporary unavailable"
Is there any where else to get these?
Ivan

Just checked out Craftbrewer, (top of page) for the adaptors tro attach a regulator to the sodastream gas bottle but, it says that they are "temporary unavailable"
Ivan
Generally they aren't out of stock for long.
If you contact Craftbrewer they might be able to tell you how long until they get some back in...
Or if you aren't in a hurry you can click the 'Notify Me' option they have...

Ivan

Evilbay have a few listed. do a search for "Co2 Adaptor" and it should come up.

Cheers

Didn't edit in time

So they are charging 50% more for 21% more CO2. Will need more price comparasins to get accross the board spreads - my exchanges used to be almost $14 from memory.

I did the calcs based on ideal gas laws, but these basic figures are the most telling.

The 400g cylinder will only carbonate 21% more beer than the 330 g cylinder, not the 50% more as they claim.

Yep agreed here, only a 21% change

CO2 has a density of approx 2kg/m3 at 0 degrees and 100kpa;
so therefore, a quick way to work out vols of CO2 is; divide grams by 2 to get litres

330g = 165L of CO2, divide that by 3.5x carb level for soft drink - 165L / 3.5 = 47L of soft drink
400g = 200L of CO2, divide that by 3.5x carb level for soft drink - 200L / 3.5 = 57L of soft drink

In the real world you wont get all the L of soft drink carb'd from the little machines as there is some waste

QldKev

Crickey there is a 100 L one

They also have this on their site, 100 Litre refills are only available to customers who already own a 100 Litre cylinder, so I'm presuming you can actually swap 60 and the 40's

Hi all,

Just an update, I emptied my 60 litre bottle overnight (damn leak) so took both the 60 litre and the 40 litre in to Big W (Brisbane CBD). There was a different guy behind the counter and he told me they are doing both sizes now but they didn't have any 40l ones in stock.

So looks like I scored a free upgrade last time. Might try a different store for my remaining 40l one another see if they're telling the same story.

Cheers
Melvy

What do people use these for? A backup for a bigger bottle? I have just purchased a Keg setup but still need to arrange the bottle and $300 to purchase outright seems a bit steep for a 6kg bottle. Do people actually use these in lieu of a bigger bottle or is it just too much hassle?

$300.00 don't sound too bad when you consider it will pay for itself in rental in just over two years. I have returned my bottle and am using sodastream bottles as i don't have a refiller save over 200 km away. Soda stream bottles work fine but do cost more in gas.

Cheers
Gavo

I have it for soda stream cool drink, for taking kegs to party and when I've got a keg full of hot water for flushing lines I don't need to put it into the keezer to gas.

Back