Bigger kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Statesman

Reaction score
I have used cornies all my life but have rarely seen larger vessels out there for home kegging. What is available on the market that holds more than 19L of the amber liquid?

23 Litre Cornies are available (Chinese made unfortunately) under the name Jolly
There are some 100L Cornelius Kegs around but there rare

The Brits have been moving over to Sanke Kegs in 20-50L varieties as well as some Italian one way plastic (PET) Poly Kegs in 16, 20, 24 & 30L varietys

There are 30L kegs (like the 50L ones, "D-type"? commercial ones) but don't think they're too common.

At my night job cc & dry are currently being dispensed from 30L kegs, I even sent kegking a email to see how much they were but was told unless there was a fair demand they wouldn't be getting any.

Judanero said:
There are 30L kegs (like the 50L ones, "D-type"? commercial ones) but don't think they're too common.

At my night job cc & dry are currently being dispensed from 30L kegs, I even sent kegking a email to see how much they were but was told unless there was a fair demand they wouldn't be getting any.

How do you clean a 'D' type or similar connection keg? In a home use situation.

It is the corny style lids on the 45L corny styles that is the best of both worlds I find.

But over all, if you are using a 60L FV or even 2 30's side by side, it is great to have a 40-50L kegged beer to last ya and age quicker, or so I find.

Cheers

Definitely not disagreeing with you Cocko, personally I only want a 30L keg to turn into a fermenter. :ph34r:

By no means disagreeing or thinking you are, sir.

Sincerely wondering how you clean that style of keg? Probably taking thread OT, so will search up...

If only there was only some cheap stainless FV's about to hit the market :ph34r: LOL!

Is anyone kegging in a 50L CUB style? How TF do you clean it?

I pulled the whole keg apart, dumped in a few litres of steriliser, put it all back together. Sterilised the connection as well then glad wrapped and rubber band over the neck. Rolled it around a bit in every direction. I have left it over night with steriliser inside and will re roll in the morning, quick fresh flush and am ready to fill I hope. First time so hope this works, should be no problems. This is a 50l sankey.

Pilchard said:
I pulled the whole keg apart, dumped in a few litres of steriliser, put it all back together. Sterilised the connection as well then glad wrapped and rubber band over the neck. Rolled it around a bit in every direction. I have left it over night with steriliser inside and will re roll in the morning, quick fresh flush and am ready to fill I hope. First time so hope this works, should be no problems. This is a 50l sankey.

Thats how its done! There is a good U tube clip of an American fella doing it. The trick is replacing the circlipy ring back in after replacing the spear. I may head down this route, I just have to find a reasonably priced D coupler with release valve on the side. I have removed spears successfully with a screwdriver and hammer but without stuffing the seal I would suggest a spear removing tool.

Cocko said:
These rule IMO - You can keg and age double batches.... and not too heavy to lift and move, although any bigger and you would need a fork lift.

One of the favourite things I have purchased in my brewing career...
You purchased a forklift ? I agree they are a great size and have the corny opening. I am too far to purchase and seeing before buying would be a must.

Back