Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Florian - sounds like you're well prepared.

Have you got somewhere to go?

Went up early this morning to get some sand bags as we're on Kingsford Smith Drive right on the river. Went to Bunnings and had to fill them myself, on the way bag found a depot and got some more, already filled. Spent most of the morning placing tiles upright in front of the doors on ground level, secured with sand bags. Emptied the pool as it already had been flooded with mud from the neighbours driveway for the last three month. Luckily only the garage and my tiny office is on ground level, as we're in a flood zone anyway and weren't allowed build on ground level.

We're up on the third level, and I've spend the late afternoon on the couch watching at least 30 pontoons going past on the river, accompanied by at least 6 boats without anyone on board. Plenty of rescue boats trying to catch them. Police is going up and down the river on jet skies to inspect damage.

Most of the neighbours on ground level have packed their bags and left, a very wise decision. Will be checking on the old grumpy man next door who is insisting on staying. We're expecting to get flooded tomorrow or Thursday, will be staying upstairs and watching it from there, unless we're told to leave. Have stocked up on food, filled all no chill cubes and empty fermenters with water just in case and the electricity and gas will be turned off as soon as the river floods onto the street.

Thanks shed! If need be we always have friends to go to, but we prefer to stay here as we consider it quite safe and it's much easier with the little one, the water shouldn't be able to get 6 meters up the building. But as I said, if someone tells us to go we will be out in minutes. Will park the car up the hill so it doesn't get swept away.

Hopefully my home & business are in the clear, though home is very close to the Logan River if it floods.
My heart goes out to all those in the danger areas...Please keep safe everyone...

Ross

OK, well I'm outa here. Flood waters are about to hit my street :(

I'm going next door to my mate's two story place and having some beers while watching the water roll in.

Sounds like you're all gonna need a beer at the end of this. Good luck to everyone in the area - stay safe. Our thoughts are with you.

Anyone stuck around peak crossing, warrill view that can get to peak crossing can have a bed and beer here. We are out of harms way.

Thoughts are with those on lower ground.

Grafton is cut, and IO wont be able to get to my place for a few days... maybe a week

Hopefully all those missing find their way home and everyone facing worsening conditions come out the other side. Good luck

Bribie Island now cut off with the 3 possible roads to Caboolture all submerged.

Is your phone still operating? I've been trying to ring my mother all day and keep getting a message "this service is temporarily out of service".

Is your phone still operating? I've been trying to ring my mother all day and keep getting a message "this service is temporarily out of service".

Bob
I'm sure she's fine, maybe flooding of phone cable into house as we've had 2 feet of rain over the last couple of days. PM me her addy and I'll pop round tomorrow to let her know you are good. All OK here although cut off

cheers
Michael

DU99 - you are probably about as annoyed about hearing about SEQLD being flooded as Aust was hearignabout your bushfires !!! Our fellow Aussies are in harms way and we (the non effected) should be watching and praying for their safety and the safety of their loved ones... not arse ******* ourseves about how shit it is that it is the only thing on TV ... damn how long did we hear about the drawn AFL grand final FFS ??? compassion ... look it up on Wikileaks !!! to the rest of the forrum and the whole Aussiehomebrewer.com.au membership ... I appologise for my rant .. just hate people who type shit like that... God keep our people safe where ever they are .... Matt

Too bloody right Matt.
As an ex SES member I can only symphasise at the task ahead of not only the rescue personel but also the innocent victims of this monumental disaster unfolding before us all.
God help all of us at this time.

Back