Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, just saw that.

Just received the following message on both our mobiles:

Code:
Flash Flood Warning-Brisbane River to reach 18-19m Wednesday AM. Residents close to River or associated tributories monitor situ overnight & evacuate if required

i just watch the weather channel,they reckon the rain is heading south to Nsw and Victoria,they even reckon tasmania will get some of that rain also..the premier reckons the water level is going to be higher than the 1974 floods in some areas..all i say is "be safe"

Ipswich Mayor just downgraded the threat from 19m to 17m for Ipswich, so I don't know how old that info is that you heard.

She was saying it live as I typed it... But she could have been talking about the biggest peak which I believe is going to be on Thursday.

From what I understand today is nothing.

My wifes family are from up your way, luckily still dry currently...

FAIL:

With the revised levels they are predicting... the house will be gone, aparently the water got up to the ceiling in the 74 one so... well they are getting as much out as they can before it happens.. at least they have time to get stuff out.. :(

:( :(

FAIL:

With the revised levels they are predicting... the house will be gone, aparently the water got up to the ceiling in the 74 one so... well they are getting as much out as they can before it happens.. at least they have time to get stuff out.. :(

:( :(

Bugger that's not good.

Unfortunately no one will no quite how this will play out. The hydrology will have changed immeasurably since '74.

ABC has the report now - [URL="http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110689.htm?section=justin"]http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01...?section=justin[/URL]

phark me!

Thoughts are with all you guys and your families/friends. Be safe.

I just heard that our QLD office in Brissy has sent all the staff home. I'm encouraging all my workmates to donate to the flood appeal as our employer has kindly offered to match our donations. I know money won't mean much now to you guys, but hope it relieves some of the pain in rebuilding after its all over.

phark me!

Thoughts are with all you guys and your families/friends. Be safe.

I just heard that our QLD office in Brissy has sent all the staff home. I'm encouraging all my workmates to donate to the flood appeal as our employer has kindly offered to match our donations. I know money won't mean much now to you guys, but hope it relieves some of the pain in rebuilding after its all over.

Perhaps we'll have to organise a case whip around for anyone who loses homebrew stocks or equipment in this mess. ;)

Mate get yourself prepared and up high. In 1974 I went down Fitzroy St (east) from the Albion St intersection in a boat and swam into a house down near the subway to get people out. Talk is that it may be the same level this time, as downstream is chockas.

Do you still have that boat and do you still swim as well mate? ;)

FARK ME... Fires in the west, floods to the North, locasts locally... Im expecting Aliens by the weekend and we can jump this crazy shit and all brew Crazy Outer Space Ales and Pluto Porters..

:ph34r:

Perhaps we'll have to organise a case whip around for anyone who loses homebrew stocks or equipment in this mess. ;)
I have all my brewing gear and stock listed on my home and contents insurance for this reason. consider it people

Do you still have that boat and do you still swim as well mate? ;)

FARK ME... Fires in the west, floods to the North, locasts locally... Im expecting Aliens by the weekend and we can jump this crazy shit and all brew Crazy Outer Space Ales and Pluto Porters..

:ph34r:

using galaxy hops :D

I was out door knocking this morning warning people in areas that WILL flood. Keep safe, stay the **** away from flood water, heed all the usual warnings and listen to local radio (e.g. ABC local radio).

Unfortunately the worst for Brisbane will be coming in the early hours of the morning.

The news is saying the flood is receding in Gympie, but I don't like what I think they've got coming their way. At the southern tip of the catchment we've had ~180mm since 7am, and it has to make its way towards them. :eek: -_-

Shed, im happy to stick some cash into an account that will go towards a QLD AHB member to replace lost stock etc.
Cheers
Steve

Putting No-Chill Cubes to good use at my place - just in case.

IMG_2468__Large_.jpg

150L Water, food, torches, batteries, radio, 2 full gas bottles and lotza beer. Check.

Stay Safe everyone!

PB

Hey PB - make sure you've got your family too!

I just got home to Landsborough on the Unshine Coast, where Shed and have are nestled in the hinterland.
It's nothing like Brisneyland here, it just had days where it dumps 300mm on you. I nearly had to change my name to Landsborough Bunyip!

If any of the Brissy guys need a place to stay, send me a PM, but with the highway blocked, that will be hard... so:

Shed 101 and I will donate our services to help the Brisbane Brewers and Retailers who are affected by this disaster with your clean up. No doubt you'll need a couple of spare pairs of hands for digging, moving stuff..whatever it takes. Just PM us and we'll get down on the weekends we can.

InCider

PS Shed, are you Ok with that? :D

The news is saying the flood is receding in Gympie, but I don't like what I think they've got coming their way. At the southern tip of the catchment we've had ~180mm since 7am, and it has to make its way towards them. :eek: -_-

Level now at 18.39M and falling, but water coming from the headwaters measured upstream is rising. Still, looks like maybe the worst is over for us. Poor buggers in Brisbane have got to face the worst yet.

Screwy

THe houses at the bottom of my street are going under, just come back from helping neighbours move theis stuff out. Very scarey. I'll post some pics later.

Just got back from work after sandbagging and moving all the IT equipment and financial documentation to the top floor.

Apparently the 74 flood was up above door height at ground level. So not looking good. Could be out of a job for a while if it does happen.

Got a little bit to work on at home this week. But if things go pear shaped.... Could be in some trouble. At least I don't live in a flood prone area, so all fine on the home front.

Poor buggers who live in those low lying areas.

Back