Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to echo the 'stay safe' sentiment, please don't take any unnecessary risks, especially if it is only for a camera angle.

I am virtually unaffected and have only a couple of friends/family there, but my heart goes out to those who are in the midst. It is absolutely devastating stuff.

Four of us brewers here in Gympie, all of our heads above water so far, I'm 15M above floodwater, Adrian and Brucce are on hills and Roboscot is north of the city, cut off but safe. Grocery items have been cleaned off the shelves here on the southside, no bread, dairy farmer from the Mary Valley delivered milk yesterday. The Jockey Club hotel still has beer, if it runs out I'll have to put the dog in the shed, to protect the kegs. Enough food here for a few days, fingers crossed.

Phoned my son to tell him to get out of that bloody new tunnel in Brisbane and out of the city. Thankfully he phoned to say he's gone home!

Mate get yourself prepared and up high. In 1974 I went down Fitzroy St (east) from the Albion St intersection in a boat and swam into a house down near the subway to get people out. Talk is that it may be the same level this time, as downstream is chockas.

Any of you Brisbane boys in low areas get yourself somewhere high, don't sit and watch the news until the water starts coming in. Been trying to contact friends in the lockyer valley without success :(

Be safe boys, wish you all well.

Screwy

THIS IS MADNESS!!!!

Cheers mate, Im tucked away up near the Tafe end of town, so it would have a fair way to reach us, but im geared up for the worst if need be.

Silver lining, looking for candles and came across a stash of Aussie Pale 6% from last July :)

flood_bucket__Small_.jpg
flood_candles__Small_.jpg
flood_stash__Small_.jpg

:super:

looks like some weird phallic fetish picture there Bribs!

if your looking for candles it means you havent got your emergency kit ready. dude how are you not better prepared given where you live.

eagle_st.jpg
I was in Brisvages last year and the water level in this pic was agood ~2m lower than pictured. thats a fk lot of water to fill up
Brisbane's Eagle Street Pier

campbell newman is saying the next two days are going to be PHARKED

looks like some weird phallic fetish picture there Bribs!

if your looking for candles it means you havent got your emergency kit ready. dude how are you not better prepared given where you live.

Pffft, he's better prepared than me - he's got 6% beer and has found his candles!

Edit: located 7.5% beer and candles - now sorted :)

Yes you're right CM, this won't be the last I fear as the wet season hasn't really kicked in and no relief till March. I suppose we can all be guilty of "ain't gonna happen to me" like the people who don't clean out the dry leaves in the gutters then along come the sparks etc.

Proper kit in a big orange coloured box will be priority from now on :icon_cheers: band aids, transistor radio, bottle of Jack.... :)

shit i hope everyone up there pulls through allright. from what happened down here dont worry about houses and things just get out and save yourselfs. houses can be rebuilt but lost lives hurt all involved for a very long time.
best of luck

dwayne

Phark me guys...

This has to be most horrowing thread ive read on a forum.. :mellow:
certainly gets the guts turning

Stay safe eh...

Correct me if im wrong but this isnt even from a tropical low (cyclone) system is it ???
the bloody wet seasons only just started for christ sake.

Yeah it's not from a cyclone, it's just been really weird up here this summer. It's been raining almost every day since September last year. There has at least been cloud cover that whole time except for maybe 2 days of sunshine max every now and then.

And now this...

I can't believe that some guy decided to try and save his Patrol....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I thought I would try to break the monotony of waiting and head down for a whack of the golf ball...

IMG_0867.jpg

I know this is nothing compared to what others are going through, but this is Oxley Road, looking toward Ipswich Road. This was about an hour ago, and its getting higher and higher...

IMG_0864.jpg

Good luck to everyone, stay safe.

There is a trough running across Northern Australia, so it is a tropical low, but not isolated to a small area.

Is it coming down from the north east or up from south west?
Hard to tell on the bom radar site, the shit`s everywhere!

Just head the peak in Ipswich could be up to 22m and in general we're looking worse than 74 over the next couple of days. Bligh was very ominous.

Just head the peak in Ipswich could be up to 22m and in general we're looking worse than 74 over the next couple of days. Bligh was very ominous.
Ipswich Mayor just downgraded the threat from 19m to 17m for Ipswich, so I don't know how old that info is that you heard.

campbell newman is saying the next two days are going to be PHARKED
This is how we know it is really bad. Both Campbell Newman and Anna Bligh are saying it is going to be bad. Not only are politicians admitting it but both sides are agreeing too...

Very lucky to be where I am, no creeks and no flooding, at home but still working, watching the pool fill up again...

the prediction of worse than 1974 only just released, stay safe guys it looks really bad.

Back