Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its already been said guys. If your in danger, **** your homebrew and grab hold of your family and get the hell out of there.

Has anyone heard from the AHB members that live in toowoomba? My thoughts are with all toowoomba and brisbane residents. Keep safe please!

Hey PB - make sure you've got your family too!

I just got home to Landsborough on the Unshine Coast, where Shed and have are nestled in the hinterland.
It's nothing like Brisneyland here, it just had days where it dumps 300mm on you. I nearly had to change my name to Landsborough Bunyip!

If any of the Brissy guys need a place to stay, send me a PM, but with the highway blocked, that will be hard... so:

Shed 101 and I will donate our services to help the Brisbane Brewers and Retailers who are affected by this disaster with your clean up. No doubt you'll need a couple of spare pairs of hands for digging, moving stuff..whatever it takes. Just PM us and we'll get down on the weekends we can.

InCider

PS Shed, are you Ok with that? :D

Sweetheart, what have we said about you volunteering me for all and sundry :lol:

The CWA were not amused at my attempts at souffle you know!

But, yeah, InCider and I could have the whole place cleaned up in less time than it takes Julia Gillard to get her hair done.

Thought to all of the brewerhood in the SE QLD area or with family up there. Scary stuff.

Stay safe, dry (if possible) & as AndrewQLD said, don't take any risks and get out early as fast as you can.

I'm all fo the AHB whip around / working bee - reckon we could arrange a contingent from the southern to come up to help clean out once the water subsides.

Crozdog

Doing OK here in Toowoomba. Thankfully I live in a higher area of town so no risk to my place. Cbd is only about a km away though, alot of damage. This city has been rocked and everyone is in a state of disbelief. Hoping Ipswich and Brissy people are doing everything they can to stay safe!

Best of luck to you blokes up North...keep safe and keep dry if you can.

Maybe you should have that brewday early this year, Chappo? And we can turn it into a fundraising brew day/clean working bee? I'm in for throwing the Brass Knuckle Mk II into the trailer and making the trip North again... :super:

Haven't heard from Ralph - RdeVjun in Toowoomba yet, maybe his service is out. He hasn't posted on his other regular forums like BIABinfo or Jims so I'm assuming he's good. I emailed him on Yahoo yesterday and no reply either so probably network out.

edit: good to year from you Mearesey - pm RdeV and tell him we want to know if he's still alive ;)

Speaking of that elusive Chap Chap, I hope his river views aren't getting too close to the house.

Speaking of that elusive Chap Chap, I hope his river views aren't getting too close to the house.

Haven't heard much about the logan river Perry, I reckon he's OK.

Haven't heard from Ralph - RdeVjun in Toowoomba yet, maybe his service is out. He hasn't posted on his other regular forums like BIABinfo or Jims so I'm assuming he's good. I emailed him on Yahoo yesterday and no reply either so probably network out.

edit: good to year from you Mearesey - pm RdeV and tell him we want to know if he's still alive ;)

Just texted RdeV, Bribie... Will let you know any news.

Hey guys,

If any of you have horses, a friend of a friend sent this message just a few miniutes ago:

"QLD friends: If you need to move your horses, agistment available at Mango Hill. Mel Harris has 10 acres but there is 2 horses there atm soon to be 3. If you provide feed, she'll feed your horses for you. She just wants everyone safe with therir horses! Mel 0400277338 Post this around! she is in Mango Hill, North Brisbane."

If anyone has a few spare coins...QLD Flood appeal

Take care guys! Don't take any stupid risks. I've been reading too many tales of woe from these floods of late because of people taking stupid risks!

Cheers
Brad

RdeV all good;

Just got this response;
Hi M, yeah, we r all fine just damp, no comms at home tho.Hellish conditions but not as bad as some... The stress makes me reach for a beer, hope I can keep the samples for the comp! Pls pass on a gooday to the team. Cheers, RdeV.

Thanks Mike, that's a relief. Kindly tell him that BribieG won't be at the Maha Latchmi Indian Cafe in Fortitude Valley for lunch on Friday so don't bother unless we can hire a boat :p

All good down on the Gold Coast. We've been quite lucky so far. Air is thick, carpets are damp and lawns are all squishy, but compared to elsewhere we've been really fortunate. Good thoughts to all of those who are going through it or helping out neighbours.

Have attached a little bulletin that came through from work. Just cut and paste stuff off BOM, so no secret squirrel stuff, but a bit of factual substance, at least as far as predictions go. Plenty of warning, so hopefully what's lost when it hits Brisbane will all be things that are replaceable.

View attachment EMD_Priority_Update__22___11_January_2010.doc

Silver lining, looking for candles and came across a stash of Aussie Pale 6% from last July :)

View attachment 43236
View attachment 43237
View attachment 43238
Out of all these clouds there is an amber lining.

SERIOUSY though, Please everybody, be prepared should the worst should come your way.
We folk in the north that endure cyclones this time of year have more than just our fingers crossed for all folk in the areas affected by this current tradgety.
Stay safe and best of luck.
Ivan and Maz.

Best of luck to you Snow, Browndog and all you guys facing flooding over the coming days. Hope everything works out OK. Be safe.

Starkesbier

Just found this video on youtube... seriously hoping everyone's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to all affected by this disaster, stay safe, dont take any risks and get out early if you can, our thoughts and wishes are with you all.

Went up early this morning to get some sand bags as we're on Kingsford Smith Drive right on the river. Went to Bunnings and had to fill them myself, on the way bag found a depot and got some more, already filled. Spent most of the morning placing tiles upright in front of the doors on ground level, secured with sand bags. Emptied the pool as it already had been flooded with mud from the neighbours driveway for the last three month. Luckily only the garage and my tiny office is on ground level, as we're in a flood zone anyway and weren't allowed build on ground level.

We're up on the third level, and I've spend the late afternoon on the couch watching at least 30 pontoons going past on the river, accompanied by at least 6 boats without anyone on board. Plenty of rescue boats trying to catch them. Police is going up and down the river on jet skies to inspect damage.

Most of the neighbours on ground level have packed their bags and left, a very wise decision. Will be checking on the old grumpy man next door who is insisting on staying. We're expecting to get flooded tomorrow or Thursday, will be staying upstairs and watching it from there, unless we're told to leave. Have stocked up on food, filled all no chill cubes and empty fermenters with water just in case and the electricity and gas will be turned off as soon as the river floods onto the street.

Back