Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, well I'm outa here. Flood waters are about to hit my street :(

I'm going next door to my mate's two story place and having some beers while watching the water roll in.

According to the BOM, at 9.07 tonight the water level was 5.86 metres above Hancocks Bridge at Brassall and rising. Be careful and stay safe.

Scary stuff indeed. Take care of yourselves & your families, guys.

Bugger, just found out our power in Ipswich is going off at 11pm, going to have to check the water height with a flashlight after that.

Power to the entire CBD and 100,000 properties is going to be switched off at 7 am in the morning to preserve the transformer stations. Bris grinds to a halt for the next few days. Last person out please turn out the light. This is going to be probably the worst disaster in recorded Australian history and we are witness to it here.

A few days off work methinks :icon_drunk:

Edit: BD if your herms suffers damage you are welcome to loan of Urnest (the Birko twin) and a bag and I'll come round to guide you gently :) - but I'm hoping that won't be necessary - let's know how you get on buddy.

Bob
I'm sure she's fine, maybe flooding of phone cable into house as we've had 2 feet of rain over the last couple of days. PM me her addy and I'll pop round tomorrow to let her know you are good. All OK here although cut off

cheers
Michael

Thanks mate, have since heard that my sister-in-law was speaking to her this morning and all is OK. Reading all these posts, although we aren't in any danger, I'll be doing a check on our candle supply and filling up the gas bottle tomorrow.
Bob

And whilst we all hope and pray that everyone is safe whilst it still continues to rain and flood , let's not forget that the clean up is gonna be an absolute nightmare that will continue for months....stay safe and positive brewerhood !

Power to the entire CBD and 100,000 properties is going to be switched off at 7 am in the morning to preserve the transformer stations. Bris grinds to a halt for the next few days. Last person out please turn out the light. This is going to be probably the worst disaster in recorded Australian history and we are witness to it here.

A few days off work methinks :icon_drunk:

Edit: BD if your herms suffers damage you are welcome to loan of Urnest (the Birko twin) and a bag and I'll come round to guide you gently :) - but I'm hoping that won't be necessary - let's know how you get on buddy.

No worries Bribie, I'll be fine and dandy up where i am, I'll just be keeping a vigil "just in case"

Wow, what a day, kid staying at Warwick, Mrs Goldy is a mess... Systems to divert & shut down everywhere...

Total chaos around everywhere, stay safe everyone & good luck.

Cheers
Mick

And whilst we all hope and pray that everyone is safe whilst it still continues to rain and flood , let's not forget that the clean up is gonna be an absolute nightmare that will continue for months....stay safe and positive brewerhood !

You're right there. I did some time cleaning up after Cyclone Tracey. It's hard to work out where to start.

Energex spokesman denied that power to the Brisbane CBD is being shut off about half an hour ago on the ABC News24 Channel.

Energex spokesman denied that power to the Brisbane CBD is being shut off about half an hour ago on the ABC News24 Channel.

Courier mail got its wires crossed as usual I guess. Imagine the loot-fest if power went off completely to the CBD :eek:

South Maroochy river about 500m from my place (good thing I'm about 50m above the river level):

South_Maroochy_foot_bridge_Yandina2.jpg

Yesterday arvo.

005.JPG

Today.

That's a 2m difference..... Couldn't get to the same location as the yesterday shot as it's currently under about 2.5m of water, the foot bridge is toast as a huge tree hit it today too.

Edit: would help if put the right photo in! :beerbang:

What about Ipwsich Ben, the courier mail website says the power will go off at 11.

Went up early this morning to get some sand bags as we're on Kingsford Smith Drive right on the river. Went to Bunnings and had to fill them myself, on the way bag found a depot and got some more, already filled. Spent most of the morning placing tiles upright in front of the doors on ground level, secured with sand bags. Emptied the pool as it already had been flooded with mud from the neighbours driveway for the last three month. Luckily only the garage and my tiny office is on ground level, as we're in a flood zone anyway and weren't allowed build on ground level.

We're up on the third level, and I've spend the late afternoon on the couch watching at least 30 pontoons going past on the river, accompanied by at least 6 boats without anyone on board. Plenty of rescue boats trying to catch them. Police is going up and down the river on jet skies to inspect damage.

Most of the neighbours on ground level have packed their bags and left, a very wise decision. Will be checking on the old grumpy man next door who is insisting on staying. We're expecting to get flooded tomorrow or Thursday, will be staying upstairs and watching it from there, unless we're told to leave. Have stocked up on food, filled all no chill cubes and empty fermenters with water just in case and the electricity and gas will be turned off as soon as the river floods onto the street.

Hey mate! Don't hang around, move before it becomes a hassle. Stay safe.

Bit tired of the television broadcast...flogging it to death..

Then turn your TV off, why bother posting! Hope you and your family are never subject to anything like this.

Screwy

ABC 24 said Parts of Ipswich will lose power at 11pm and a decision about Brisbane CBD will be made tomorrow morning.

Bit tired of the television broadcast...flogging it to death..

Yes they are, but I'm not sure people from other states understand the enormity of this event. This isn't "just a flood". I grew up in Brisbane and the '74 floods were always talked about as some sort of freak "one in 100 years" event. My old man still shakes his head when he talks about it. It has always been something that people didn't think they would live through twice.

But this is worse. Toowoomba flooded and it is 2000 ft above sea level. How the hell does that happen? The construction of Wivenhoe Dam was supposed to prevent Brisbane from ever flooding again and it has until now. The dam is at 190% capacity and it is still going to be worse than 1974. We have had more rain in the region in a few weeks than we usually get in a year and it is all headed for poor old Brisvegas.

It's good to see so many supportive messages from so many people. Yes the media has flogged it to death but it is a really terrible, freakish event. For what it's worth, I think the media is doing a pretty good job. They are keeping us all up to date. I have a lot of friends in Ipswich and Brisbane and I just hope they are all okay.

I think I'll havea beer.

Thanks for the feedback on the power guys, I'll just have to wait and see what happens at 11. Gonna be very eerie if the streetlights all go off.

Latest posts

Back