Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the guys in Ipswich area have kept dry overnight.

Power to be shutoff to Brisbane CBD around 08:30 in the morning.

Actually have blue sky and sunlight here at the moment. Very strange, but I'm not going into the city today (probably the rest of the week).

Hope everyone keeps safe and more or less dry

Actually have blue sky and sunlight here at the moment. Very strange, but I'm not going into the city today (probably the rest of the week).

Yes, we woke to blue sky this morning up the coast ... It stopped raining last night for the first time in a while - quite eery.

But, it's raining again already :rolleyes:

Just checked the gauge and we had 197.5mm.

So, 625mm in the last four days. That's about Hobart's average annual rainfall I think. A quarter of our annual.

Hope everyone's ok. I notice another 12 people are missing now.

I have some friends in logan, there OS at the moment, is that far south in danger ?

You you all have woken up to safe and sound houses and didn't have to evacuate last night.

QldKev

Just checked the gauge and we had 197.5mm.

So, 625mm in the last four days. That's about Hobart's average annual rainfall I think. A quarter of our annual.
Where I grew up we'd wake up in the morning thinking "shit load of rain last night". Check the guage and it would read 20mm. Those numbers are beyond my comprehension...

Where I grew up we'd wake up in the morning thinking "shit load of rain last night". Check the guage and it would read 20mm. Those numbers are beyond my comprehension...

Yeah, well I reckon i've worked out why they call it tinnitus...

it's caused by the noise of rain falling on tin roofs.

Family is high and dry for now but I know the house won't be so lucky. We had to evacuate yesterday (Churchill in Ipswich) and we're in a low area. Only just moved in a month ago so it's quite devastating.

The '74 levels (according to some of the neighbours yesterday) would put the 1st level of the house well under water, higher than that and we'll be in a real world of hurt. According to the news the peak has been downgraded to 20M for now so I hope they're right.

Hope everyone else stays safe, all I can do for now is wait it out.

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend, and it ain't going to be fun.

Sister's place wen't under at 6am this morning......

Will be interesting to see what the insurers will do considering flood is excluded from 99% of insurance policies..

I'm at work answering phones ATM, Coronation Drive is under water between the Regatta Pub and Hale Street. I'm guessing the Cellar bar is awash & all the low lying buildings behind it are flooded. There's heaps of pontoons motoring down the river :blink: .

Will be interesting to see what the insurers will do considering flood is excluded from 99% of insurance policies..

its rubbish isnt it, you go through all your life paying these ***** (scuse the french but seriously they are) insurance money and when it comes time that you need some help they say screw you it was mother natures fault.

seriously hope everyone up there is ok, stuff can be replaced but people cant.

its pissing down in vic this morning but nothing like what the qld crew have gone through.

I'm at work answering phones ATM, Coronation Drive is under water between the Regatta Pub and Hale Street. I'm guessing the Cellar bar is awash & all the low lying buildings behind it are flooded. There's heaps of pontoons motoring down the river :blink: .

A friend of mine in West End counted 72 pontoons up until earlier this morning, and two cabin cruisers :blink:

Family is high and dry for now but I know the house won't be so lucky. We had to evacuate yesterday (Churchill in Ipswich) and we're in a low area. Only just moved in a month ago so it's quite devastating.

The '74 levels (according to some of the neighbours yesterday) would put the 1st level of the house well under water, higher than that and we'll be in a real world of hurt. According to the news the peak has been downgraded to 20M for now so I hope they're right.

Hope everyone else stays safe, all I can do for now is wait it out.
Have been thinking about you and the family, Tim. Rotten bloody luck mate, but glad you are all safe.

Safe here at present. The peak will apparently occur some time this afternoon, so more anxious waiting. We are all packed an ready to go. Can be outta here in 5 minutes if need be.

Stay safe guys.

Have been thinking about you and the family, Tim. Rotten bloody luck mate, but glad you are all safe.

Safe here at present. The peak will apparently occur some time this afternoon, so more anxious waiting. We are all packed an ready to go. Can be outta here in 5 minutes if need be.

Stay safe guys.

Good luck Bonj! I'm heading home soon, not much point being here since most of our saff are unable to get in.

I have been out all night watching the river until 5am this morning, didn't get much sleep at all. Absolutely devastating, without exaggeration I have seen way over 50 boats without owner floating by, yachts, sailboats, boats on pontoons, boats tied to pontoons, even groups of 2 and 3 boats still 'moored' floating by. Plenty of boats up side down with only the keel coming out of the water. Also plenty of jet skies and way over 200 (!!) pontoons of all sizes and shapes, complete with park benches, boat winches and and lighting. In front of our house is an older couple living with their dog on an 11m sailing boat, he insisted to stay on board, the boat got an absolute bashing last night, at one point there was a pontoon carrying a beautiful mustang ski boat attached to is boat for hours. I have just seen that he is now packing his bags and moving in with the neighbours, there is no way his boat will stay where it is now over the next few days.

I can not even imagine how this will look if the river rises higher over the next few days, We will be thinking a lot of everyone who is affected by this.
I have packed everything up in the garage and moved upwards. (Bribie, your case from the last case swap is safe, too).

its rubbish isnt it, you go through all your life paying these ***** (scuse the french but seriously they are) insurance money and when it comes time that you need some help they say screw you it was mother natures fault.

not all people who work in insurance are.. :icon_cheers:

Flood is excluded, it specifically says so in the peoples policies (although there is a specific definition of flood). Therefore they are well within their rights to not pay out on claims..

However, it would be such a PR disaster on behalf of these companies to just put their hands up and say "screw you"

the problem, with an event of this magnitude, is that you not only have actual insurers involved (NRMA, GIO, CGU, Allianz etc) but you have the insurance companies RE-INSURANCE companies involved in decided what claims are paid out. 90% of these companies are based overseas....

Hopefully they will come to the party and at least payout part of the insurance policy to help people get back on their feet....

considering flood is excluded from 99% of insurance policies..

yep no insurance for the inlaws, their house was in the 74 flood and cant be insured, they simply refuse to cover them :angry:

effing CU_T'S

Inlaws are still getting out, unfortunatly the water has come up so far overnight they can no longer get the cars out even, :angry: I dont understand why they werent moving throughout the night... so they are going to lose the house and contents and cars.. they are stashing as much as they can in garbage bage into the roof but I think that probably isnt going to help much...

at least they are safe(ish)

above all people stay safe, stuff is just stuff, people cant be replaced

Back