Biblical Scale Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And whats with just dribbling the army in bit by bit Gillard, send the whole effing lot in now so they can be ready to hit the ground when this shit subsides. Put them in there tent citys on the outskirts
There's not really much for them to do at the moment. There are constant helicopter sounds around me. There are no outskirts. The roads are cut by flooding so no way to get them in. You want them to take helicopters away from the search and rescue to ferry in soldiers that have nothing to do?
"We now have 13 helicopters working for the flood effort".....Jesus Gillard, we will need ALL of them to sort this out and planes and trucks and blokes.
:angry:
There is only enough room for a certain number of choppers in the air. Too many and it hampers their ability to do their job. 11 of those helicopters are in the Lockyer/Ipswich areas. That's a shitload.

Amphibious vehicles won't get to people as quickly as helicopters can. It's a pretty large area.

I'm not a government fanboy, but it's not the time to be attacking them or the ADF for their efforts.

Here's a pic of the view from my window, the water is a good 20m below the level of my house.

challinor_st.jpg

And one of the 1 mile bridge, this ended up with 4m over the deck. The river normally sits about 15m + under it.

1_mile_bridge.jpg

cheers

Browndog

I vote for Father Jack for PM......

Thats a brilliant if somewhat unconventional idea. Unfortunatly politicians dont listen to brilliant ideas

And whats with just dribbling the army in bit by bit Gillard, send the whole effing lot in now so they can be ready to hit the ground when this shit subsides. Put them in there tent citys on the outskirts

"We now have 13 helicopters working for the flood effort".....Jesus Gillard, we will need ALL of them to sort this out and planes and trucks and blokes.

:angry:

Big +1 desperate times require smart thinking some brilliant ideas from FJ.
15 choppers now in use both Blackhawks and Chinooks for heavy lifts.

BTW choppers run on JetA1 not petrol so need road tankers or else return to base or any regional airport.
Cannot see any reason they cant use Rockhampton Airport it is only partially flooded.

BTW choppers run on JetA1 not petrol so need road tankers or else return to base or any regional airport.
Cannot see any reason they cant use Rockhampton Airport it is only partially flooded.

They can't use Rocky airport 'cause the sub-soil is still saturated and so the tarmac is not as yet load bearing. Think of driving on a sheet of plastic laid over mud......

As for more choppers etc. there is only so much airspace to go round before things get too exciting for the pilots who's job is hard enough ATM as is.

On a personal note I'm prepping my pumps and pressure washer etc. in readiness for the work ahead, it ain't going to be pretty, but IT IS going to get done!

i love how people who have no idea of how federeation operates in their country or how the armed forces work, then decide to gob off about what should be done (yes FJ and oatlands im looking at you).

now in saying that im a firm beleiver that there can better intergration and assistance between states/Cth and armed forces. the proposals get nowhere because of the complex operational issues involved. and yes this coming from someone with armed forces experiance, govt experiance and emergency/disaster recvovery experiance.

In relation to FJ hairbrained insane idea of printing money etc. do you realise you'd fk the nation and those your trying to help. if you dont understand economics and trade, dont comment on them

anyways, ive heard from family in various part of QLD now and they are ok (some flood damage etc), so we/they are lucky and is a bit of a relief.

Thoughts are with those effected by the weather and floods. Pretty hard to watch my hometown get hammered the way it did the other day. Still trying to make contact with a mate that lives between mt Kynoch and Murphys creek.

Guess there are bigger worries than how many helicopters the government can utilise at one time. Makes me feel sick enough without having to read people not effected having a whinge when peoples lives and livelyhoods are at stake.

Stay safe people.

brad

Here's a pic of the view from my window, the water is a good 20m below the level of my house.

View attachment 43261

And one of the 1 mile bridge, this ended up with 4m over the deck. The river normally sits about 15m + under it.

View attachment 43262

cheers

Browndog

Jeez bd your roof needs a lick of paint :icon_cheers:
Hope is stays down at the bottom of your street!

He's got a roof?

LUXURY!

Moving on from Money Python, we're all fine at our end of town, and I can still get to work via the Gateway. Mate of mine at Cherbourg has been isolated for five days now, craving red meat apparently, poor bastards.

Lol CM2, my tenure as PM was shorter than Ruddy's, & with 2 votes, I probably would have won the election if it werent for mandatory voting. Agree with Oatlands, this is not the place for a shitty political arguement.
Glad you have got some peace of mind on your relatives welfare. Some extremely awful events here. I fear the death toll could rise substantially when all areas are properly surveyed. I sincerely hope not.

Im not saying any more.....

Sorry for offending

Stay safe.

You`re allowed an opinion mate, like everyone else. Whether it was right or wrong, don`t worry about it. I`m sure it was posted in good faith.
Now back on topic :beer:

just loved hearing that the QLD govt (disaster & recover mob) doesnt want help from vic govt because they dont like our methodology approach to emergency response, esp in bushfires. so doesnt look like our trained volunteers will be used. now thats ridiculous

Just got back from a couple of days at Malaney, no phone but a tv and pretty much shut in due to the rain incider and shed described. We were pretty sure we'd be ok (we're near Bulimba creek, but well up from where it's affected by tide), but was still a bit nervous making the call once we got phone coverage. Have a few friends in Fairfield who are already under water.

Any one who needs a sparky to check things out after the water subsides send me a pm and I'll do what I can to help. Also, the RSPCA has a flood appeal thing going on aswell:

https://donate.rspcaqld.org.au/flood

just loved hearing that the QLD govt (disaster & recover mob) doesnt want help from vic govt because they dont like our methodology approach to emergency response, esp in bushfires. so doesnt look like our trained volunteers will be used. now thats ridiculous

Is it the volunteers being turned down, or the Victorian government? We already have two governments trying to coordinate efforts, do we really need three?

Divide all that water into a hundred portions, distribute it around the country and we could have a harvest that would feed the world. As it is, it's seven shades of brown over here and a watery hell over there. Mother Nature doesn't read from the same rulebook does she?

Here's hoping that the 90-odd missing are just sitting it out without communications.

Is it the volunteers being turned down, or the Victorian government? We already have two governments trying to coordinate efforts, do we really need three?
vic govt trained public sector ermergency/recovery people. so not the govt, just loaning our people, docs etc

vic govt trained public sector ermergency/recovery people. so not the govt, just loaning our people, docs etc

That's nuts! But till we know just what is required I guess it's better to not tie up resources that might be needed else where..... Remember Vic has it's own floods to deal with.

Just had a call from work, our customer service centre (Fortitude Valley) is closing for a week and is being moved to another company location at Biggera Waters (Gold Coast) who are giving us temporary accomm. The techs are down there now setting up workstations and transferring software / network connections etc. I don't have to but I've volunteered to work down there for a few days to help out, only just over an hour and a half from here on the freeways - and the Gateway Bridge tolls have been suspended for the time being. Apparently lots of MILFs work there.

:icon_drool2:

I'll be free from Tues for any cleanup help required, eg Deamon. Anyone heard from Snow?

That's nuts! But till we know just what is required I guess it's better to not tie up resources that might be needed else where..... Remember Vic has it's own floods to deal with.
im talking doctors etc also. but yeah they wont be asked to go up and assist. its nuts. state govts loan medical/emerg staff all the time. we even do it internationally.

oh well hopefully you guys wont need them anyways

Latest posts

Back