BIAB Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a fast ferment test.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fast_Ferment_Test
Cool!
But... How do i take a sample of the yeast I'm using from my plastic fermenter? Or should I use bread yeast (I have on hand, I make my own pizza dough )?
You just opened a new Pandora's box with many many questions inside, manticle! Jejeje
Oh! Next thing to study! Yeast!
I will study it before and then come back with particular questions.

BTW I'm still looking for a second hand bar fridge without any luck... :(
Too big , too small, too expensive or too broken! :( if somebody in Sydney knows about one big enough for a 15L plastic fermenter (38*30*35cm) please tell me!

No, don't dry hop. This style is all about the yeast so if you're going for a classic saison flavour hops will get in the way. As LRGI said in a previous post make this one an awesome base, then if you want to change up future batches do it then.

The BJCP notes on Saison indicates dry hopping is not uncommon. I personally prefer a bit of hops to compliment the yeast drive

The BJCP notes on Saison indicates dry hopping is not uncommon. I personally prefer a bit of hops to compliment the yeast drive
The old BJCP guidelines mentioned that they are sometimes dry hopped but I was not able to find any mention of dry hopping in the current BJCP guidelines. Happy to be corrected though if you can point me towards it.

In any case, my recommendation for someone doing their first saison would be to go easy on the hops and let the yeast shine through, as it's the dry finish and yeast character that sets this style apart from others. After that push the hops if you want.

The old BJCP guidelines mentioned that they are sometimes dry hopped but I was not able to find any mention of dry hopping in the current BJCP guidelines. Happy to be corrected though if you can point me towards it.

In any case, my recommendation for someone doing their first saison would be to go easy on the hops and let the yeast shine through, as it's the dry finish and yeast character that sets this style apart from others. After that push the hops if you want.
Well, saison dupont makes one without dry hopping and another one with dry hopping.

I don't know if that's be historically correct, who cares.
I made this one, my first without dry hopping, depending on the result I might try something different next time.

I bottled on saturday, btw. 2 more weeks and I'll open one to see how are they doing...

I couldn't help it, I opened one this saturday (only two weeks bottle conditioning) and it was... awesome! This is not my favourite style of beer but it is exactly what I was after. Dry, a little tart, refreshing, it doesn't feel very alcoholic although is around 6%, good carbonation, nice head, very light in colour, hazy and it has this characteristic saison taste/aroma. I did it! :)

I made some cool labels too! "glued" with milk, easy to put and easy to remove :p

Thank you all for your help, I'm very happy with the results.

IMG_20171215_133918288.jpg

Back