BIAB Parti gyle / Dunk sparge technique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopa

Reaction score
Hi Has anyone tried this?

I have 2 pots 60L and 90L, both 2.4kw electric (only use the 90L these days for easy BIAB doubles)

Thinking of increasing the grain bill by about a 50% (Around 15kg) and using the 60L pot to do a full volume dunk sparge at mashout temps to extract as much of the sugars as possible.

By my accounts I should have one batch at 1.070ish with efficiency losses and the other around 1.020ish.

Blend the 2 together and hopefully hit something around 1.045-1.050?

My reason for doing this would be to save time on my standard house brew as life gets tighter to brew these days.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Troopa

That'll be a bloody heavy BIAB bag at full saturation, you got a winch? Or spinach?

Both.. when i set the winch back up.

Currently lift 10kg grain bills by hand without issues. Done up to 12.5kg but it wasnt fun

5200264-popeye.jpg

Seriously, mate. If you're time-poor, just stick with doing standard BIAB batches. All you're really going to get out of a dunk-sparged 1020 wort is starter-material.

Parti-gyle brewing is best done when you've got the time & equipment to do it properly.

Hi Has anyone tried this?

I have 2 pots 60L and 90L, both 2.4kw electric (only use the 90L these days for easy BIAB doubles)

Thinking of increasing the grain bill by about a 50% (Around 15kg) and using the 60L pot to do a full volume dunk sparge at mashout temps to extract as much of the sugars as possible.

By my accounts I should have one batch at 1.070ish with efficiency losses and the other around 1.020ish.

Blend the 2 together and hopefully hit something around 1.045-1.050?

My reason for doing this would be to save time on my standard house brew as life gets tighter to brew these days.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Troopa
I can't see why you cant do
i'm about to do a RIS of about 37 l but with a 100l pot biab i'm going to to do two mashes and mix with a 4 hour boil 19.5 kg grain

Back