BIAB Overshot OG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I'm still trying to dial in my new crown urn. Today I brewed an American Amber and based on 55% efficiency (average of my last few brews) I was expecting an OG of 1.052.

After getting some advice from other AHBer's, I changed up my mash approach (90 mins instead of 60 mins, used a different type of mash paddle (paint stirrer), stirred whilst waiting to come up to mash out temp and I reserved 5L of strike water and did a bucket sparge).

I ended up with a full cube (22L) at 1.063 or 67%! This is probably a little toppy for what I was after.

Can someone tell me how to calculate how much water to add to the fermenter to drop the OG to 1.055ish?

Cheers!!

63 (current SG decimal portion only)/55(target SG decimal portion only ) x 22L (current volume)=25.2L (target volume), so add 3L.

www.brewheads.com/newvolume.php

22L at 1.063 at 20 degrees + 3.2L water at 20 degrees = 25.2L @ 1.055

That website has heaps of nifty calculators. I've bookmarked some on my iphone for quick reference on brew day.
If you dilute, you will have lower bitterness too mind you...

Your'e getting there Shacked :beerbang:
Do you mill your own grain?

Since (talking 2011 here) milling a tad finer for BIAB, a good stir up and mashout at 68 degrees I generally hover around 75% efficiency, with up to 85% on a lower gravity brew (for example a 4.5% Guinness clone etc).

That's without a sparge, could probably go higher with a sparge but that's too much dickin around for me.

Happy diluting, as suggested maybe boil up some bittering hops in a bit of wort and pour it in.

Bribie G said:
Your'e getting there Shacked :beerbang:
Thanks mate! I just figure I've got to just brew a heap of batches to get my gear tuned in... then I'll get the 3V I scored from eBay out of the garage and start all over again :p

I think I've sorted the volume out and I think I'm starting to hone in on the efficiency. Hopping in the cube is still 100% trial and error! (mostly error).

The bucket sparge wasn't that big a deal in the context of a 5 to 6 hour brew sesh. Next brew I'm not going to do it and I'll see what happens.

I took the gravity reading with a refrac and noticed it was a little high so a threw some more hops into the cube... wait and see I guess..

Oh yeah, I don't mill, I get the LHBS to do it. I'll ask them to do it a little finer next time.

Bribie , are you talking mash or brew house efficiency I.e 75% avg

Latest posts

Back