BIAB left to drain while bringing to boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barabool

Reaction score
Hi
Any pros/cons about lifting my BIAB grain and placing it in a colander over the wort as it comes to boil?
Hoping the rising heat and the draining wort will give me a bit more efficiency?

Any one see any issue with this?

I leave the bag hanging while ramping up.

cant really think of anything wrong with it...

Do it all the time. Hoist up with the pulley, ramp to boil, spend ten minutes rolling the grain around the bag and squeezing every drop of wort from it.

If you don't allow the steam to escape though - as you seem to be indicating - then some people believe you will be encouraging DMS which may be an issue depending on your grain bill.

I don't see an issue with it, and do effectively the same thing.
I hoist the bag with a pulley and suspend it above the wort in my urn.
As soon as it's clear of the wort the heat goes back on and I leave it for a while before giving the bag a good twist and squeeze (while the wort is still coming to the boil).

Mind you I've always done it this way so have nothing else to compare it with.

Forever Wort said:
If you don't allow the steam to escape though - as you seem to be indicating - then some people believe you will be encouraging DMS which may be an issue depending on your grain bill.
Ok - so the steam could affect the grain?. Isn't most DMS evaporated during the boil?
I understand draining and squeezing is just common sense and I'm a great believer in mashing out before lifting the bag but wondered if the steam could also help with the release of sugars - like an extended mash out?

I do this on my 1V, malt pipe sits above urn to drain and sparge while the urn comes to boil. When I BIABed, I didn't have a pulley and my colander was smaller than my urn opening. So I put the colander in a handy pail to let drain while the urn came to the boil and added the drained wort later.

Thanks all. :D
Putting down a Chocolate Stout flavoured with Vanilla Hibiscus tea. 20 mins before flame out.
Wish me luck

Cheers

I do this with no dramas. I BIAB in a BCF crab cooker and the bag sits in the insert, which has holes all through it for drainage. When the mash is done I lift the insert out, bag and all, place and old fridge rack on top of the pot and sit the insert back on it to drain. I find most of the wort has drained by the time I reach a boil so only squeeze if I'm not at pre-boil volume when that happens, which is rare.

Good luck with the stout, sound interesting.

Latest posts

Back