Biab Exposed Element Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Reaction score
:icon_chickcheers: G'day Im new to BIAB and have an exposed craftbrewer element in a keggle and was wondering if when mashing if the element would burn my grain bag if they were touching? I will try not to have the element turned on when the bag is in, but may have to bring the temperature up if it drops too much during mashing.

Lag lag lag

I'm just up the road from you and get about 1 degree drop per hour winter and half degree drop in summer. Slip an old sleeping bag over the pot then wrap the entire thing in a doonah, set timer and walk away. In any case it's all over bar the shouting in the first thirty minutes.

Lag lag lag

I'm just up the road from you and get about 1 degree drop per hour winter and half degree drop in summer. Slip an old sleeping bag over the pot then wrap the entire thing in a doonah, set timer and walk away. In any case it's all over bar the shouting in the first thirty minutes.

Or tape a camping mat around it and use the sleeping bag. My sleeping bag has had more urns than bodies in it.

Setup a hoist of some sort, you can then lift the big off the element while your crank it up for a few minutes.

I use gas and when i have to bring my temp up (like when i undershoot mash temp) i leave the bag in and stir like buggery. My pot is an elcheapo chinese stainless pot with a very thin bottom and my burner is huge. So if you do need to heat it i reckon stir like buggery, or just lift it up the bag a bit.

If i had the money i would be getting one of these over the side elements and just stir the mash if it needs heating up.

Latest posts

Back