Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name................. Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume
Pistol Patch............. 19................ Yes........................... 437lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 29................ Yes........................... 691lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 9 .................Yes!..........................226lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................6..................Yes.............. ............137lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative.....10..................Yes................. .over 200lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................5.................. Yes.....................app 50lt
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................2...................Yes............................42l
Partial
Beer Man.................5...................Yes..........................100lt
davekate.................5...................Yes....................app 100lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................4...........Awaiting taste tests...........120lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................Yes..........................161
t No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all

#6 in the no-chill fermenter :D

Brew #9 (Anti-Perspirant Kolsch) is now Not Chilling. Brewed under the supervision of Thirsty Boy - what an enjoyable day - I don't need a beer... :party:

When he says "supervision" he means I hung around all day and distracted him at crucial moments.

Gotta say how impressed I was with Spill's all electric / immersion heater / no-chill setup. Simple, effective, easy.

I've seen 3 different people BIAB now (including myself) and the more I see it, the more I like it.

Thirsty

When he says "supervision" he means I hung around all day and distracted him at crucial moments.

Something else came out of it, though. I've re-modelled my bag so it now has a bottom in it like a stuff-sack to focus the drained liquid. We'll find out next week if my sewing prowess is up to snuff.

The biggest issue with brewing in company is the way records deteriorate; eg into which No-Chill cube the wort went. If I got it wrong, it is entirely possible that my Kolsch is actually a Belgian Golden Ale fermented by a Kolsch yeast! :blink: :blink:

Pistol Patch............. 19................ Yes........................... 437lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 10 .................Yes!..........................240lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................6..................Yes.............. ............137lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative.....10..................Yes................. .over 200lt No Chill
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................2...................Yes............................42l
Partial
davekate.................5...................Yes....................app 100lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................4...........Awaiting taste tests...........120lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................Yes..........................161
t No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all

Today's Belgian Dubbel cum Dark Strong Ale was e-BIAB, No Chill, No Skim and No Syphon!
Also, the new bag design proved itself as did the new Rope Ratchet Skyhook.

Something else came out of it, though. I've re-modelled my bag so it now has a bottom in it like a stuff-sack to focus the drained liquid. We'll find out next week if my sewing prowess is up to snuff.

The biggest issue with brewing in company is the way records deteriorate; eg into which No-Chill cube the wort went. If I got it wrong, it is entirely possible that my Kolsch is actually a Belgian Golden Ale fermented by a Kolsch yeast! :blink: :blink:

Hey, maybe thats why your Kolsch just wouldn't quit fermenting and tried to escape the fermetor so determinedly?

Probably still come out a decent, if extra strong Kosch though.... maybe??

Hey, maybe thats why your Kolsch just wouldn't quit fermenting and tried to escape the fermetor so determinedly?

Probably still come out a decent, if extra strong Kosch though.... maybe??

Can't possibly be - I'd feel too stupid...

But, just in case, I bought a 1762 for the thing that's about to find its way into NCCube A. (Now I've got it documented in one place, at least.) :blink:

I just ducked into my beer cellar and checked out the Kolsch which I bottled a few days ago. It is such a light colour in comparison to the BGSA and that corresponds to my computed intent that it simply *has* to be the right way around.

Might be ready to drink in time to get a few Vic case swappers to offer an opinion...

im hangin out to put my name on this register :beerbang: im just waitin for my burner to turn up and im gettin my mum to sew my bag up for me tomorrow.

2 weeks time ill be doing biab :D

or yea i gotta get some grain as well

p.s i didnt realise how big an 80 litre pot was untill it turned up :huh:

Pistol Patch............. 24................ Yes........................... 552lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 10 .................Yes!..........................240lt No Chill/Electric
Partial

t No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all

Hadn't read this thread in detail until now. Good to see some new faces here - Phonos and Beer Man. Ah! I just realised that davekate is now dk. Cool! Just saw that was Beer Man's first post to AHB. Welcome mate! Good to see that Thirsty looked after you. You couldn't ask for a better teacher. Hopefully you've met Spills too!

Sorry, Spills - 5 brews since last update. (Spills is trying to get to 2nd place on the register ;) He actually deserves first place for diversity of brews. Good on ya Spills!)

Kingy, looking forward to seeing your name there too mate. LOL on how big the pot is! They're about double what you imagine them to be :blink: If you haven't sewn the bag already, I like Spills idea of the sleeping bag cover shape so the liquid will drain out more at the bottom.

Good to see Phrak found the thread. Still want to hear how your Big Brew Day went. And it looks like hashie being brewing away solidly too.

Uh oh! It's been a while since Ned's updated the register. I think we're in for a big hit!

Pistol Patch............. 24................ Yes........................... 552lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 31................ Yes........................... 742lt
Partial

t No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all

Not a big update Pat, I've been trying to get though some stock, then went to brew and diden't have the hops I thought I had in the frezer.. bugger :)
:beer:

Hashie......................8..................Yes.............. ............163lt No chill
Partial

t No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all

SpillsMostOfIt........... 11 .................Yes!..........................274lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................8..................Yes.............. ............163lt No chill
Partial

t No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all

Boiling up an Amarillo APA with Powells base malts as we speak.

I've also corrected my volume as I got it wrong with my last update (in case you didn't get the memo, I'm a dickhead).

Kingy, looking forward to seeing your name there too mate. LOL on how big the pot is! They're about double what you imagine them to be :blink: If you haven't sewn the bag already, I like Spills idea of the sleeping bag cover shape so the liquid will drain out more at the bottom.

are you talking about a cylinder like shape ? as in round on the bottom and a cylinder sown onto that. So basically sew and make it the same shape as the pot ecxept about 15-20 cms taller and 15-20cms wider to allow it to overhang the pot.

Also i seasoned my aluminium pot last night with my new burner and the burner has like all white stuff like corrosion on it now? Is this normal is this from having the gas and air setting wrong?

cheers kingy

P.s The long weekend is my biab christening :beerbang:

Also i seasoned my aluminium pot last night with my new burner and the burner has like all white stuff like corrosion on it now? Is this normal is this from having the gas and air setting wrong?
cheers kingy

P.s The long weekend is my biab christening :beerbang:

Sounds like ashes from the paint. Rub it off with a wire brush. It's better to get rid of most of the paint before you brew, because you don't want paint fumes getting into the wort.

That's good news Kingy :)

I'm getting my neice to make two bags this weekend. The pot is 45cm diameter and 45cm tall.Here's the plan...

I'm going to go a 50cm circle at the bottom and make it 55cm high. I'm thinking of using six 'lugs' to put the drawstring through so it's easier to clean.

I won't know until it's made how it works though I'm hoping it works to Thirsty's sleeping bag design. Fingers crossed.

Blackbock has given you a good tip on your burner. If you notice it slowing down after one or two brews, use a drill bit to clean the holes out. Also make sure you get rid of the yellow flame by adjusting the ring collars on the burner but you probably already knew that.

Good luck mate!

I have never (albeit in just 10 or 11 brews) had a bit of grain find it's way into the drawstring bit of the bag. That is primarily, I think, because that part of the bag never comes into contact with the grain.

What am I missing?

My bag was sewn up by the little old lady next door. Somehow grain gets in everywhere - lol! It wasn't a problem in my old place as I had a decent jet on my shower so cleaning was still easy.

By lugs, I mean something like you chuck your belt through on your jeans but at the top of the bag and, of course an inch or two wide.

I've just conned my niece into doing one bag tomorrow morning and so I'll brew tomorrow arvo and let you know how it goes. If it works well, I'll post some pics in the main BIAB thread for you.

Spot!

Pistol Patch............. ?................. Yes.............................app 450lt
FNQ Bunyip............ 20................ Yes.............................app 480lt
SpillsMostOfIt.......... 5 .................Yes!..................................124lt
Hashie.....................2..................Yes...............................
...46l
MaxT................5...................NO...................................115

PJ............................1.................Will be...............................23lt.....No Chill.
jimmysuperlative....10..................Yes..................................200
L....No Chill
Thirstyboy...............5...................Yes.............................app 50lt
Wardhog.................1....................?.....................................23lt....
Phonos....................1..................?.....................................23lt...........Partial
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled

BIAB gave me the confidence to do my first AGs.

I dropped BIAB after the experts told me I could do better using a conventional setup (Sorry PP just winding you up). :p I don't think the method suits the styles of beer I'm trying the brew.

Cheers

If you notice it slowing down after one or two brews, use a drill bit to clean the holes out.
I might also be a good idea to turn the burner upside down so the crap doesnt fall back into the holes.

Latest posts

Back