Beware Of Brewcraft Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felten

Homebrew Conjecturist
Reaction score
So I was bottling a union jack clone last night with a newly bought box of brewcraft bottles. Upon opening, I noticed that the color was a lot different than previous BC bottles I had bought and the molding on the bottom was extremely dodgy like it had been set on the mold off centre, some of them had problems standing up straight.

Anyway I didn't think much of it at the time, so I line them all up in the box for filling and as I was half way through them, I observed the liquid level in the bottle I had just filled was rapidly decreasing, which threw me for a loop for a second.

I picked it up and the beer was squirting out of the molding hole at a decent pace, I screwed the lid on and flipped it upside down to deal with later. I finished up bottling and decided to check all the bottles for leaks, and noticed the very first bottle I had filled had a small pin sized leak in it as well.

I don't think this is the first thread about dodgy brewcraft bottles, though I've bought 2 previous boxes off them with no problems; but just incase anyone has some sitting around, be careful!

ps. On taking them back to the store they were going to refund with another box of bottles, but upon inspection the other boxes were dodgy as well. So I ended up with a box of glass bottles for free.

So I was bottling a union jack clone last night with a newly bought box of brewcraft bottles. Upon opening, I noticed that the color was a lot different than previous BC bottles I had bought and the molding on the bottom was extremely dodgy like it had been set on the mold off centre, some of them had problems standing up straight.

Anyway I didn't think much of it at the time, so I line them all up in the box for filling and as I was half way through them, I observed the liquid level in the bottle I had just filled was rapidly decreasing, which threw me for a loop for a second.

I picked it up and the beer was squirting out of the molding hole at a decent pace, I screwed the lid on and flipped it upside down to deal with later. I finished up bottling and decided to check all the bottles for leaks, and noticed the very first bottle I had filled had a small pin sized leak in it as well.

I don't think this is the first thread about dodgy brewcraft bottles, though I've bought 2 previous boxes off them with no problems; but just incase anyone has some sitting around, be careful!

ps. On taking them back to the store they were going to refund with another box of bottles, but upon inspection the other boxes were dodgy as well. So I ended up with a box of glass bottles for free.

Glad it wasn't just me! I had 3 bottles out of 30 Brew Cellar bottles with pinholes near the neck of the bottle. Glad I noticed before i'd put them away.

I was going to take them back ... but i've decided I won't go back to that shop any more anyway - fed up giving them my money when they show no interest or inclination to innovate.

A bloke here a few weeks ago spoke of faulty bottles that he bought off E-Bay. From memory he was provided a replacement batch from the seller, but dont know if they worked out for him.

Sounds like a production recall might be around the corner.

And a Coopers Crownie Bulk Buy !

I have had a few base leakers from Coopers and Morgans bottles too. So it is quite a common problem.

Pity no one around here drinks Coopers longnecks except for me.

Latest posts

Back