best yeast to harvest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
so ive had pretty good success with my first go at harvesting yeast from a stubbie using Neils method.

niels said:
I almost use the same technique, but instead of making a bit of starter wort to fill up the bottle I simply open up a small box of apple juice (20 cl) and pour that in the bottle. I give it a good swirl, put a balloon over the "neck" and set it on top of my set top box (which is always in de low 30°C).

In most cases the balloon will be erected after 24~36 hours and I will pour it into an erlenmeyer with starter wort and put it on the stirr plate.

Never had a failure except for one time I was growing bacteria instead of yeast (it smelled like the worst cheese you can imagine!).

Niels
except I dont have a stir plate but its still good.

this got me wondering, im going to harvest some Pacman from a dead guy pale ale next, what yeasts do you all like to harvest and from what beers?

oh and big thank you to neils for this method. super easy for new brewers. I just swirl/shake whenever I pass it on the bench in the kitchen in leiu of a stir plate.

Back