Best & Worst Malts You've Used

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Rye and I didn't like it.
I'm not sure why you've quoted me...

Back on topic - and in particular, Golden Promise. I've only used this grain twice, both time in making the Dr. Smurto's TTL clone. I get a distinct earthy taste to this beer on both occasions, and I'm not a big fan of this flavour. Would the hops also have something to do with an "earthy" taste? Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings - from memory.

I'd be interested to try the same grain bill for Dr. Smurto's Landlord clone, but completely sub the UK/Euro hops out for US hops - purely as a learning exercise.

Fuggles is certainly described by many as earthy, sometimes woody and even tobaccoey.

I get mandarin from styrians but it is closely related to fuggles and I know people who've decribed it as more earthy.

well, I guess earthy hops and earthy malt means 'earthy as f**k' beer.

I wonder why people enjoy the Landlord so much, perhaps they are fans of dirt?

Id point the earthy finger at fuggles. Ive swapped mo and gp around in various brews, theyre both very tasty. Try ross' ns summer ale with just gp and a little wheat,mmmmm

thanks manticle and seamad... fuggles, huh? Shame I just took receipt of 1/3 a pound of it! Maybe I can dump them in a Porter.

Weyermann Pilsner goes into everything I brew nowdays. For me, it's worth the extra $15 a sack. Makes supurb APAs and IPAs and lends that essential sweet breadyness to lagers where the malt needs to be boss.
Do you see it making any difference in a hoppy APA (maybe 90g of cascade etc per 20 litres) ? That's all I use Wey Pils for....

The Brisbane APA grand master, BrownDog, got a bit of a rude shock a couple of years ago when my APA just pipped his entry in a BABBs minicomp B) - my effort was made on Golden Promise and Tony said that when brewing in Australia, UK malts are probably the best varieties for "authentic" APAs. Their two row malts are more akin to UK than continental breeds, the main difference between UK and US malts being the way they are treated by the maltster, with a more dry "grainy" flavour and a couple of UK forums suggest that Optic is a really good sub and not as in your face as MO etc.

Edit: however when doing "Aussie faux APA" brews to impress my Fat Yak loving buddies and rellies I still tend to BB ale as I'm aiming for a lighter bodied beer with low to medium American hop notes, pub style.

Edit: however when doing "Aussie faux APA" brews to impress my Fat Yak loving buddies and rellies I still tend to BB ale as I'm aiming for a lighter bodied beer with low to medium American hop notes, pub style.
Ah I see, that's why I thought of giving the BB Pils a go - the slightly lighter body was what I was looking for. :icon_cheers:

well, I guess earthy hops and earthy malt means 'earthy as f**k' beer.

I wonder why people enjoy the Landlord so much, perhaps they are fans of dirt?

Earthy isn't how I would describe Landlord, either the authentic version from a cask in the UK or my interpretation.

But that is the joys of the human palate, we all taste/perceive things differently. One mans earth is another mans spice. :)

You could try MO instead of GP and use some other hop to bitter with - Target or Challenger spring to mind. My last Landlord used First Gold to bitter with and my next will use Challenger as I am all out of Fuggles.

You've all just reminded me.

I have a 25kg bag of Golden Promise in the brewshed.

Never used it either so will have to put it to the test. Thanks lads!

(scratches head, then consults double batch recipes).

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back